Fretboards that end at the body vs fretboards that continue toward the soundhole

On tenors with cutaways, I always thought that left hand access to the upper fingerboard was the only benefit, but it seems that not hitting the top on that side with the fingernails would also be a plus.

Interesting to see these replies. A lot of replies match what I've already thought, which is that the extension of the fretboard has no real effect on sound, but that a lot of people do have preferences for visual and tactile reasons.

For visual and tactile reasons, I am team End at the Body. I have wondered if it contributes to the sound, but, especially after reading this thread, I'm thinking that it is an aural placebo effect.

He picks up there, but I don't see many folks fretting up there, especially on soprano. He is so smooth, no clicks on his fingerboard extensions.

Agreed... I don't see many people fretting up there either. Which is one of the reasons I think that fretboard extensions past 15 frets are useless for the vast majority of players... and most players can easily get by with 12.

Not that I believe all ukes should be made that way... but it seems the preponderance of ukes are made with fretboards extending to the soundhole or very near, which is odd if it is indeed true that 95% or so of players never venture anywhere past the 15th fret...especially considering that many players strum or fingerpick over that very fretboard extension.

Yes, good technique can mitigate the negative effects of right hand playing over the fretboard.... but it seems to me it's a solution to a problem that really should not exist in the first place.

Last edited:
As I said earlier in this thread, I like extension: extended necks, extended fretboards, and extended warranties. I would be interested in how much the extended fretboard muffles the sound of the uke. My un-scientific guess is that it doesn't matter, especially since most players refuse to acknowledge the primacy of the ukulele strap and muffle their soundboards with their forearms anyway.

Top Bottom