Kala Elite Models (Various)

UkeStuff

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I went to the Friday morning jam session of the Twin Cities Ukulele Club (Minnesota), which was held at Groth Music (Bloomington, MN).

Jeff, one of the employees at Groth, announced that they are selling their remaining models of Kala Elite Koa ukuleles at a substantial discount...mostly sopranos but a couple of concerts, too. They come with a case and humidifier, and most were built in 2015.

If you are looking for a solid koa ukulele at a great price (while they last), contact Jeff at Groth Music (800.969.4772) and see what they have!

Great Kala Elite Tenor

Hey everyone,
If you are looking for a solid koa ukulele at a great price (while they last), contact Jeff at Groth Music (800.969.4772) and see what they have!

I got a great 2015 Kala Elite Tenor from them.... it even came with the Kala Elite case, which I didn't expect. Very beautiful instrument; I am not yet worthy of it.
MyKalaElite-sm2.jpg

Last edited:
I got a great 2015 Kala Elite Tenor from them.... it even came with the Kala Elite case, which I didn't expect. Very beautiful instrument; I am not yet worthy of it.
MyKalaElite-sm2.jpg

I am not worthy of any of my instruments if playing skills are the criteria. But if passion, enthusiasm and just pure enjoyment are the measure then you me and everybody else here is worthy of a fine ukulele. If you love it, appreciate it and it makes you happy you qualify

Last edited:
Well said Dave. I concur wholeheartedly. I honestly wouldn't call myself much of a player but all of your other points are right on the money. What joyous instruments we play.

A great weekend to all,

Steve.

I am not worthy of any of my instruments if playing skills are the criteria. But if passion, enthusiasm and just pure enjoyment are the measure then you me and everybody else here is worthy of a fine ukulele. If you love it, appreciate it and it makes you happy you qualify

That’s the addict talking. Ha ha ha ha
Thumb up!

Do they have an online store? Anyway, I had the opportunity to compare Kala Elite with Kanilea and Koaloha ukes in the same store and found that they certainly played in similar leagues. However, they were also priced in the same ballpark, so given the choice I would no doubt select a Hawaiian made model. On the other hand, with a substantial discount a Kala might be a very appealing option.

Wonder why they blow out their stock, though.

Chris is right. I just helped a friend pick out a 1KOA-SG concert. Beautiful build, discounted to $450. (Way cheaper than a Hawaiian K brand.)
The koa models are more heavily discounted than the mahogany.
He said he just couldn't move these high end ukes at full price in this market...

I've been thinking about another Concert in Koa,,,,,might have to drive over there tomorrow or Monday. Was thinking about a Martin in Koa or Mahogany but for a good price I might change my mind.....

If anyone sees a Kala Elite Baritone...let me know. They make or made them. I can't find one. If you have one you want to sell, PM me.

Do they have an online store? Anyway, I had the opportunity to compare Kala Elite with Kanilea and Koaloha ukes in the same store and found that they certainly played in similar leagues. However, they were also priced in the same ballpark, so given the choice I would no doubt select a Hawaiian made model. On the other hand, with a substantial discount a Kala might be a very appealing option.

Wonder why they blow out their stock, though.

Are they only available by phone? I went to Grothmusic.com and could only find this:
http://www.grothmusic.com/p-33577-kala-2koa-c-elite-series-cocert-ukulele.aspx

A Kala 2KOA-C Elite Series Concert Ukulele: regular price $1,199.00 on sale for the astounding price of ..... $1,199.00. :(

:)

Are they only available by phone? I went to Grothmusic.com and could only find this:
http://www.grothmusic.com/p-33577-kala-2koa-c-elite-series-cocert-ukulele.aspx

A Kala 2KOA-C Elite Series Concert Ukulele: regular price $1,199.00 on sale for the astounding price of ..... $1,199.00. :(

:)

Seems so. They had about a half dozen that weren't listed on the website. And they have to consider them "used" to sell at these prices. Some have shown on Reverb as used instruments though.

I'd love to get one of the Kala Elite Parquetry tenors. Just because. No logical reason to want one. Let's be honest, its a cool looking premium made from floor scraps and discarded bits. I have to presume it sounds good enough? I've never even seen a review of a Parquetry that compared its sound to any other premium uke. I'm not even a fan of Kala ukuleles, but for some reason I'd love to find one of the Parquetry tenors.

MyKalaElite-sm2.jpg

I'm impressed with the cases on these too. Later models only have a gig bag.
Gee whiz, that's pretty! Nicer than anything they have left, me thinks. That must be a Koa2 with that figuring?
Hope to run into you and that beautiful uke (and other MN UU members) at a MN event sometime... (if you live here?)

Last edited:
I was just in Groth music this morning. If you want a Kala KOA Concert the price is very good, about 1/2! I played the one they had. If I hadn't taken the Martin Tenor Koa off the wall and played that one also I might have bought the Kala right then and there. I've been playing a spruce top Magic Fluke concert for a little over a year and have been kinda of looking for a solid wood uke, a concert. But after playing the Tenor.....I've got to look at the tenor uke a little more....Groth also has several Kala saprano's at close to 1/2 price also. I did not look them over closely or play them. Get them while you can!

Don’t expect to find these on their website—I avoided listing the website because these are not going to be listed as a special sale—many vendors frown upon (or have policies against) selling instruments for under list price. I don’t know Kala’s policy—but was trying to avoid it.

If you give them a call (Jeff may not be there on the weekend) you can get an idea of what they have in stock (at one point there were nine instruments available).

If I didn’t have such a love affair with KoAloha, I would have walked out with a gloss Koa 2 concert or soprano yesterday. Groth is also a Martin dealer and had any Martins been on sale—I would have bought one (Martins are NOT included in the sale).

The store is stil going to carry mid-level ukuleles like the Fluke and Flea—as well as Martin, Kala (and Makala), Ortega, and Gretsch. They have carried Fender, Lanikai, Diamond Head, and Eddy Finn in the past. They are just getting out of the high end market—which makes sense to me. It is nice to see. $1000+ ukuleles*, but I’m not going to buy one—and if I’m not going to, 85% to 95% of the ukulele playing population isn’t going to, either.

*I might buy one new in Hawaii or if needed from a reputable online dealer, but most of my purchases of high end ukuleles is quality used instruments at a 35% or more discount. Incidentally, the Kala Elites fit that description NEW, but again, my heart for a high end soprano is going to be filled only by a KoAloha right now.

Top Bottom