Kala Elite Models (Various)

Used to live in Bloomington back in 2000, but I am in North Carolina now. If I go back to visit friends, I'll have to check out the uke club up there. I thought it was KOA2 also when I first looked at it, but the certificate says 1.... but it looks much nicer than any othe 1 I have ever seen. At $515 it was amazing deal!

Well, thx to Luv2Uke encouraging me to check back at Groth, I am the proud owner of the 1MHG-C.
The price dropped from $550 to $420 in just a few days, and price included a really nice hardshell case.
I have my hog concert, and I'm thrilled!

If anyone is still thinking about these, run don't walk. They are a great deal. The Elites simply do not get enough credit on this site (there's some prejudice because of the name's association with imported instruments).

I just played the 5 remaining Elites and I must say I recommend all of them. Three hog sopranos ($400) each played the snot out of the Mexican S1 Martin ($419) on Groth's wall, probably in good measure because they are substantially larger sopranos. The build quality is tremendous. They do have the geared "ear" tuners.

There are two koa models left: 1Koa-S ($400) and 1Koa-C ($450). While they are plainer Koa (ask for a photo) than others that have already sold, I thought they sounded really good.
I REALLY like the satin necks on all of the levels (including the gloss models).

And every one of these ukes comes with the nice Kala hardshell black faux-alligator wooden case (later versions only have a gig bag) so in essence you can knock another $50+ off these prices.

Attachments

• 20180611_183006.jpg
    20180611_183006.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Wow Tracie, I love it. What a steal. I am wracking my brain for a rationalization why I need another ukulele. Maybe by morning I'll come up with it. I've been wanting one of the Kala concert hard cases...

Last edited:
Wow Tracie, I love it. What a steal. I am wracking my brain for a rationalization why I need another ukulele. Maybe by morning I'll come up with it. I've been wanting one of the Kala concert hard cases...

I need another uke like a hole in the head, LOL.
I just couldn't walk out of the store with two under my arms.
But honestly those hog sopranos with the doghair finish rock. Still thinking about them.

I believe they have a wider nut - more room to work, but your Kiwaya may too I guess.

20180611_182932.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly those little hog sopranos with the doghair reverse-fill rock.
I couldn't walk out of the store with two under my arms. But I am still thinking about them.
I need another uke like a hole in the head, LOL.

I believe they have a wider nut - more room to work, but your Kiwaya may too I guess.

So that's how they do it, I thought it was the grain!

A night of rest and my resistance is up. Three sopranos is enough.

Yes, the Kiwaya necks are fine, as is the Timms, as I'm sure your KTS-7 is, too. I'd be interested to hear your comparison of the two--very interested. Still miss my 6.

Teri

Chris - thanks for sharing this info.

Tempted, yes, but I am holding out for and saving up for a Ken Timms soprano for a while now...

Nice to see other folks get in on the deals before these are all gone! :)

So that's how they do it, I thought it was the grain!

A night of rest and my resistance is up. Three sopranos is enough.

Yes, the Kiwaya necks are fine, as is the Timms, as I'm sure your KTS-7 is, too. I'd be interested to hear your comparison of the two--very interested. Still miss my 6.

Teri

Yah, it's the grain, only accentuated. (Maybe it's not a "reverse fill", think I had that wrong.
Anyway, gives the wood a vintage look.
I found this video:
https://kalabrand.com/pages/kala-elite-usa-doghair-collection

I wish I'd brought the Kiwaya in, just to hear them side by side. I think these Kalas have a bigger sound. But like I said, the body is substantially fatter, for a soprano.
Neck is nicely shaped, bulkier than the Kiwaya but more slender than the import Kalas, about perfect for my hands (large for a woman).

Last edited:
Top Bottom