Just bought a Kala UBass for hubby...he's never played bass...now what?

Tonya

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Husband doesn't know it but he'll be getting a Kala UBass (EBY-FS) for Father's Day (don't worry, he doesn't *ever* read stuff here so the surprise is safe with us). Frankly, I'm not even sure he'll want it--but I have a gut feeling that he may...and it was a very good deal, so there's that...

He's never played a stringed instrument and knows nothing about playing bass. He has a cajon from TydeMusic and likes to accompany songs and sometimes me playing ukulele. It's a whimsical purchase but now I'm wondering where you'd suggest I guide him for some basic learning...

Online sites, books, YouTube??? Do you have any recommendations for sites for a *totally* new aspiring-to-be uBass player?

(Frankly, I'm hoping he likes it--I'd love a bass accompaniment when I play at home! :D )

The most important think to rmember is that a UBass isn't a ukulele at all-- it's a short-scale bass guitar. If hubby has never played a stringed instrument before, I suggest real, actual lessons. Bad habits are hard to break, and getting caught up in a failure chain can discourage new players pretty quickly.

I also recommend lessons. Even though I played guitar for almost fifty years, then ukulele for about a year, when I started playing bass uke I benefitted tremendously after taking a few lessons.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
Good luck! Lessons could sure help get a fast start, but all he needs to do is play root note and keep up a good rhythm...then, when he gets the hang of that, root and 5th, and move on from there. That's what I did...:shaka:

But then, I played tuba in 5th grade (many, many years ago) and had a bass guitar in High School, though I never really learned to play it.

I got my wife a UBass 2 or 3 years ago, she had never held one, and now she is the bassist in our band. She takes online lessons. Of all her instruments, the bass is now her fave.

our library has online music and art lessons called Artist Works. I just got a bass and am going to explore the bass lessons.

Thank you, Rich, and Kohanmike, for the lessons recommendations. Not sure he's going to be super-excited about the uBass initially so I'll hold back the formal lessons suggestion until he's bonded a bit with the instrument. :D

Thank you, Rich, and Kohanmike, for the lessons recommendations. Not sure he's going to be super-excited about the uBass initially so ... :D

Oh, he'll get addicted to that bass thump...:shaka:

Get or find online some simple/slow folk or country music for him to play along with. Maybe a traditional song you can find the chords for online. Just make sure the video is in the same key or he might get very confused!

Then he can work on staying ahead of the root notes (usually on the downbeats) and thus actually playing on the beat and not behind. That is true with any musical instrument, one has to start going for the next note before it needs to sound at the correct time. That aspect is often not explained to new musicians.

I see this is a thread from earlier this year, I hope he’s enjoying the Ubass? If he is but still needs some direction I’d recommend Scott’s Bass Lessons. Nothing specific to Ubass but some good basic getting started info that would apply to any style or bass type.

I see this is a thread from earlier this year, I hope he’s enjoying the Ubass? If he is but still needs some direction I’d recommend Scott’s Bass Lessons. Nothing specific to Ubass but some good basic getting started info that would apply to any style or bass type.
It's actually a thread from five years ago. Would be interesting to know if he's still at it, though.

Tonya was last on UU Friday, and did 5 posts / reactions. Newest activity before that was one in May of 2022. Nothing in 2021. Then 2 in 2020, three in 2019. Definitely not the most active member.

Top Bottom