Do You Plug In and Amplify?

I'll chime in here, too.

Like Hollis, for playing in church, I recommend you first acquire a good DI box with some EQ and feedback control features. Good ones are pricey but worth every penny. From there, I'd recommend investing in a good tuner followed by compressor, reverb, delay, or a looper. Each of those effects works well with acoustic instruments. You can then build from there, exploring volume, overdrive, modulation, etc.

Here's my own board presented in stereotypical order of effects:
DI/Preamp (all effects except tuner in effects loop of DI box): Radial PZ-Pre
Tuner (out from tuner out on DI): Boss TU-3
Volume: Hilton Electronics Pro Guitar - got the idea from a Jake vid.
Bypass looper: Saturnworks LED model
Octave (in bypass loop): Electroharmonix Micro POG
Overdrive (in bypass loop): Ibanez TS-9
Tremolo (in bypass loop): Mooer Trelicopter
Delay: Hilton Electronics The Legend Pro-Delay
Reverb: Robert Keeley Aurora
Looper: Digitech Jamman Solo XT w/ FS-3 footswitch
Powersupply: Cioks PP-10 (creative variant of the DC-10)

I tend to switch between two orders of effects: the stereotypical one above is very practical, but I also enjoy a more heavily effected sound as follows:
DI->volume->reverb (sometimes followed by delay)->bypass looper->overdrive (in bypass loop)->Micro POG (in bypass loop)->Delay->Tremolo->looper. In this order, the overdrive brings out the reverb more and, if I put the delay immediately after the reverb, keeps the tails on the delay going for a while, allowing me to really chop them up with the tremolo pedal. It's pretty trippy, but it's a bit of a feedback monster at higher sound pressure levels.

Not on the board since it's more of a home & preparation tool: Digitech Trio+.

I'm still exploring other effects. I really want to get more into modulation, wah, and compresssion. As hollis hinted at, pedals get very lonely and have a bad habit of reproducing when left unsupervised.

Last edited:
I'll chime in here, too.

Like Hollis, for playing in church, I recommend you first acquire a good DI box with some EQ and feedback control features. Good ones are pricey but worth every penny. From there, I'd recommend investing in a good tuner followed by compressor, reverb, delay, or a looper. Each of those effects works well with acoustic instruments. You can then build from there, exploring volume, overdrive, modulation, etc.

Here's my own board presented in stereotypical order of effects:
DI/Preamp (all effects except tuner in effects loop of DI box): Radial PZ-Pre
Tuner (out from tuner out on DI): Boss TU-3
Volume: Hilton Electronics Pro Guitar - got the idea from a Jake vid.
Bypass looper: Saturnworks LED model
Octave (in bypass loop): Electroharmonix Micro POG
Overdrive (in bypass loop): Ibanez TS-9
Tremolo (in bypass loop): Mooer Trelicopter
Delay: Hilton Electronics The Legend Pro-Delay
Reverb: Robert Keeley Aurora
Looper: Digitech Jamman Solo XT w/ FS-3 footswitch
Powersupply: Cioks PP-10 (creative variant of the DC-10)

I tend to switch between two orders of effects: the stereotypical one above is very practical, but I also enjoy a more heavily effected sound as follows:
DI->volume->reverb (sometimes followed by delay)->bypass looper->overdrive (in bypass loop)->Micro POG (in bypass loop)->Delay->Tremolo->looper. In this order, the overdrive brings out the reverb more and, if I put the delay immediately after the reverb, keeps the tails on the delay going for a while, allowing me to really chop them up with the tremolo pedal. It's pretty trippy, but it's a bit of a feedback monster at higher sound pressure levels.

Not on the board since it's more of a home & preparation tool: Digitech Trio+.

I'm still exploring other effects. I really want to get more into modulation, wah, and compresssion. As hollis hinted at, pedals get very lonely and have a bad habit of reproducing when left unsupervised.

I would agree totally with David’s ‘order of acquisition’ in his first paragraph above.

Yes, but only when we perform. I prefer the un-amp'd sound of ukuleles, but in most venues, we cannot be heard playing acoustically. If we're in a small room, only the bass uke gets amp'd.

What are your thoughts on the Fishman Loudbox Mini battery powered model?

A friend asked the other day if there were any amps that can handle more than one instrument. Are there any in a portable type amp; Phil Jones, Roland etc.

My PJ Double Four has a 3.5mm aux input with level control. I've used it for my iPhone, but not sure if with an adapter, the impedance will allow for an instrument.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

What are your thoughts on the Fishman Loudbox Mini battery powered model?

I’ve never played through one but the people I know who have them are very satisfied. Haven’t hear any reviews on the new battery power version.

A friend asked the other day if there were any amps that can handle more than one instrument. Are there any in a portable type amp; Phil Jones, Roland etc.
My Roland AC33 ((battery & line voltage ( more available power when plugged in BTW) has two inputs plus an aux input for an iPod. I’ve had my active pick up plugged into one Channel and another instrument with a passive pickup in the other Chanel. The second input can also take a mic. The Roland unit has a lot of power, even on battery and is much lighter and less expensive Than the Fishmam. The majority of my requirements have been met by the Roland. If I played regularly at a large venue I’d go for a larger amp and in that segment you have more choice even restricting yourself to acoustic amplifiers.

Top Bottom