Sotu 330 "furniture, fixtures & fittings"

Cool and interesting theme Val. I came up with this song which I had been meaning to learn. This weeks offered a perfect excuse to do so. Porch is mentioned in the song. My cat 'Panda' kind of sums up the feeling "Don't worry. . . about a thing" Thanks for hosting Val ~

Good morning & etc. from deepest France (where it is currently raining.) Thanks so much to the "overnight" contributors ... I think I am now up to date. Please keep the songs coming. Meanwhile, another IKEA joke (no ... that is unfair!) ...

download (4).jpeg

A Tom Rush song that is always done for laughs, but really I think it is quite sad
once your memory goes so I played it in a different style. (Counter and covers mentioned)

#3 for me. Tom Petty's Room at the Top. I recorded this one previously in low G, and didn't like it after listening again recently, much preferring it reentrant, so I gave it another shot.

Background on this one:

Petty was deep in the throes of depression after divorcing his first wife, Jane, when he sat down at a piano in the studio and poured his heart into this song. "I wish I could feel you, little one," he sang. "You're so far away. I want to reach out and touch your heart." The emotionally raw song kicks off Echo, a collection of tracks inspired by their breakup. "'Room at the Top' is the most depressing song I've ever written," said Petty, who hasn't played it a single time in the past 15 years. "I haven't even wanted to hear it. Though the last time I heard Echo, I did think, 'God, there's a lot more on here than I remembered.'"

an original ditty for the season.
one for the couch surfers...

COUCH SURFING THROUGH THIS LIFE

I don't have a key and I don't have a door
I'm couch surfing all the way out from ashore
Everything that I own fits snug in my backpack
I'm couch surfin this life and I aint comin back
The friends that I have, they are a lifeboat
Upon this world the ocean, on which I'm afloat
One day I might have a job and a home
And my very own couch I can call my own

But until that day I'll keep surfin these couches
Wakin up with a ricked neck and bruises and ouches
Lamenting the people I haven't appeased
When the fish start smellin I'll be takin my leave
So don't try to call me cause I aint got a phone
Just a couch and a pillow and a generous loan
And I'll sleep and I'll dream that one day I will own
A job and a house and a couch of my own

We have had candles, lamps, bricks, walls, baths, and, of course, IKEA! But no flowers so far.
You guys pauperize the florists. At least one flower should be in every household. A white one woud be wonderful.
Bianco Fiore-White Flower, composed by Cesare Negri and arranged for ukulele by Paul Mansell

Your host suddenly remembered that she was supposed to do a song. This is a bit of a rush job and it was getting dark, but this last sort of fits in with the lyrics. It's absolute rubbish - I even got the title wrong! - but I'm allowed to say that because it's my Season.

<font size="4">

And, thank you to all today's contributors ... please keep the songs (and jokes) coming! I leave you with this:-

"The furniture store keeps calling me back ... but all I wanted was that one nightstand!"

​Good night!

Hey, I added a joke (although it was a blonde joke :uhoh:), but I hope you'll allow my 4th song, to help get over 100. Maybe a stretch, but it does mention his cabin.

Edit: just noticed the high noise floor in this one; just imagine it's the crickets in the Jamaican forest ;)

Last edited:
This songs about a condemned man living in minimalist accommodation (four walls)............

Last edited:
Okay, here’s my fourth and (probably) last of the week - no surprise that it’s another favourite from the 1980s, this time originally by Cyndi Lauper. Brings back memories of teenage parties and simpler times. Mentions a bed and windows to conform to this week’s theme.

Top Bottom