Sotu 330 "furniture, fixtures & fittings"

Hi everybody.
I have not been active recently but I have found some time to listen to many of your great songs and covers.
I did a Tom Waits song today - The Piano has been Drinking (not me) - because the piano is a central fixture in many homes (not mine, but probably)

Dave requested that I do this song like a year and a half ago, but there was never a good season for it, and when there was, something always came up. I realized this morning that there’s a table in there, so here you go, Dave. Better late than never, right?

Looks like I won't make it this week. I have 2 songs at roughly recording standard but no time to actually record them. I'll have to bring them in a future season. Unfortunately neither of them is folky.

One more from me, since it was kind of a hassle because I couldn't find a chord sheet and I had to try and hack out all those jazzy chords myself.

This is a good example of hit pop-country songs from this period (late 70s-early 80s), which were almost all hook, with a sort of token bridge that mainly served to make you anticipate the return of the hook. See also Mandrell's "Sleeping Single in a Double Bed" and Larry Gatlin's "All the Gold in California" for similar examples.

This one has a bed and a window.

Last edited:
The first song that came to mind this Season was this one from 80s Idaho/90s Seattle rockers Treepeople. Treepeople were my favorite band when they first got together, and their members have gone on to become my bandmates, my coworkers, and my family members. They played reunion shows last weekend here in Portland as this Season kicked off, so what a perfect time to learn a song from their first demo cassette. Whee!

Sorry I missed your season, Val. I was in Latvia all last week. We saw a beaver in the very heart of Riga! But I have listened to the entire playlist while I've been unpacking, and doing all the usual post-holiday tidying and catching up. I haven't had time to comment on more than a couple of entries, but I've enjoyed every single one. You're going to have a hard job picking winners!

28006769887_02716c1a6f_b.jpg

41975226695_8be3eab205_b.jpg

41975225115_89af971e76_b.jpg

41975224765_93afa0e6a0_b.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I missed your season, Val. I was in Latvia all last week. We saw a beaver in the very heart of Riga! But I have listened to the entire playlist while I've been unpacking, and doing all the usual post-holiday tidying and catching up. I haven't had time to comment on more than a couple of entries, but I've enjoyed every single one. You're going to have a hard job picking winners!

Hi Paul! Well, I think being in Latvia is a very good excuse for missing the Season ... and thanks for the lovely photos! (And as for choosing winners .... hmmm!)

Well, I think Season 330 is now officially over! (In fact, it was probably over two or three hours ago, but I wasn't here to say so.) Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed ... I've had fun! I will do the wrap in the next few days.

And now, just one more joke to end the Season with:-

Murphy was seen struggling up the hill on High Street in Kilkenny with an enormous double wardrobe (closet) on his back. Mick saw his mate struggling and shouted, "Hey, Murphy, do ya wanna hand with that?"
Murphy looked at Mick and smiled and said, "No tanks, I've got Paddy inside, carrying the clothes!"

"A Beavah in the Heart of Riga"—is that a song waiting to be written?
And for anyone considering the challenge - here's a word you also might use in the lyric - "eager". There's no charge for that, but I'll expect a mention in the sleeve notes! :cool:

Sorry I missed your Season Val. And I even had a Mildred Bailey song picked out- but I never had a chance to record. Summer is SO busy. Looks like you had a great Season though. Next time!

Murphy was seen struggling up the hill on High Street in Kilkenny with an enormous double wardrobe (closet) on his back. Mick saw his mate struggling and shouted, "Hey, Murphy, do ya wanna hand with that?"
Murphy looked at Mick and smiled and said, "No tanks, I've got Paddy inside, carrying the clothes!"

I knew an Irishman who could eat 5 kg of potatoes at one go.
I did not believe him. He said it was true because the potatoes
were only small ones.

Top Bottom