Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low G strings

Default Low G strings

I usually use a wound string for low G, but have a concert I think I'd like to try to use as a linear ukulele, and it didn't like either wound string that I had, (too boomy.)

What is the difference between the non-wound strings, like Aquila, Aquila red, Fremont non-wound, Living Water, and any other that I might not be thinking of.

Differences in sound? Diameter? (I will take the ukulele in somewhere if the string that would work best requires that the nut be widened, but it would be nice to find one where that wasn't the case, if possible.)

I'm not sure where I should start with my experimenting with non-wound strings.

I tend to like Living Water strings in general, but am not sure if their low G string would be the place to start. I have Martin M600s on the ukulele now, which I like a lot on this particular ukulele.

I am far from an expert on comparisons with strings (ask Booli about that1 <g>) - I just change mine occasionally and will try new ones out of recommendations or curiousity. So take that into account.

But I used to swear by the Fremonts, which I still like, but the Thomas-Infields (sp?)) are my current favorites.

I've hated every non-wound low G string I've tried on my concert-scale ukes - I have yet to find one that isn't boomy. I don't recall specifics, but a few years back a friend gave me an assortment of her rejects to try, all non-wound, and some of them were too thick to use with altering the uke. I remain eternally loyal to the Fremont Soloist!

I have nothing to add - just wanted to join and watch this thread. While I used to be a fan of wound strings, I am starting to think I want to try some non wound low G's...

I like the Fremont low G on concerts. I find the Thomastik -I's a bit sloppy on concerts, but are my fave on tenors. Non-wounds, I like the Living Waters the best, but generally find flouro low g strings kind of dead compared to the Fremonts. I've yet to encounter a problem requiring a nut notch adjustment.
    Last edited by stevejfc; 06-09-2018 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevejfc View Post
    I like the Fremont low G on concerts. I find the Thomastik -I's a bit sloppy on concerts, but are my fave on tenors. Non-wounds, I like the Living Waters the best, but generally find flouro low g strings kind of dead compared to the Fremonts. I've yet to encounter a problem requiring a nut notch adjustment.
    Do you remember the particular diameter of the TI low g that you tried but didn’t like on your concert. I am trying out the TI’s on my Bari and Tenors using a CF35 on the Bari and a CF30 on the Tenor. I’m also using the CF30 as the 3rd string on the Bari. I use a CF 27 for the 3rd string on the Tenor. I wonder if the CF 27 would make make a good low g on a concert?
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Boat Paddle ML tenor - Red Spruce over Cocobolo
    Barron River 8 string tenor - All Honduran Quilted Mahogany
    Collings UC2 Concert - All Mahogany
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Barron River Tenor - Sugar Box Maple and Alaskan Cedar
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar

I prefer unwound low G's and have tried a few and (apparently have several more to try at some point). At the moment I am using a set of GHS CheeMaisel artist-curated strings on a couple of my tenors and a concert. The G is carbon and the rest are titanium. They are the most satisfactory I've tried so far but I'm not convinced I can't do better so I intend to try out some of the alternatives other people have mentioned.
    Godin Multiuke (Koa top) linear
    Kanile’a K1-TS linear
    Martin T1K re-entrant
    Ohana PKC-70G linear
    Kala KA-T re-entrant
    Kala KA-B linear low G
    Waterman re-entrant
    Vorson T-style steel string electric uke.

Quote Originally Posted by hollisdwyer View Post
    Do you remember the particular diameter of the TI low g that you tried but didn’t like on your concert. I am trying out the TI’s on my Bari and Tenors using a CF35 on the Bari and a CF30 on the Tenor. I’m also using the CF30 as the 3rd string on the Bari. I use a CF 27 for the 3rd string on the Tenor. I wonder if the CF 27 would make make a good low g on a concert?
    I tried the CF30 on a standard 15" concert...……..way too sloppy. Works ok on my 16" concert, and great on my tenors. I'll give the CF27 a try on a concert just for the hell of it.

On my Mya Moe tenor I use Mya Moe low G fluorocarbon strings. The Low G is thick but sounded great and balanced to my ear. I would have posted a sound sample but I just changed to a high G for practicing Daniel Ward arpeggios. I miss the low G but I have a pono tenor strung with low g.

I've used a D'Addario silver wound .029" on a Kala concert, and it was fine, though I might prefer a .028" on that scale. On a Kala tenor, I've used the same D'Addario NYL029 and NYL024 for G and C respectively. I like to go a bit lighter on ukes. Similarly I use NYL033 and NYL028 for a Kala bari D and G. I don't mind stiffer bass strings on a guitar, but I do on ukes.

I know lots of people love TI flatwound strings, and I've tried to like them. But I find them too dull and thuddy sounding. I guess I just prefer a brighter sound.
    Last edited by twokatmew; 06-10-2018 at 07:31 AM. Reason: fix typo
    Margaret, classical guitarist gone uke crazy

Thread Information