Polished Martin Iz Tenor

uketanzon

Reaction score
I love my Martin Iz, but never really cared for the duller than dull finish.

So when my wife put a tiny scrape on it playing it, of course I had to try and get it out with a instrument sratch out paste I had. Well I did get the scratch outb but it left a gloss scheen on the spot...So throwing common sense and caution to the wind, I decided to do the whole top...
It brought out beauty of the wood grain and in my opinion gave it a more retro older martin look. Anyway, no turning back, but I kind of like it. Going to leave the rest of the instrument as is.

Attachments

• IMG_2727.jpg
    IMG_2727.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_2729.jpg
    IMG_2729.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2728.jpg
    IMG_2728.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
WOW! The difference from the stock finish (seen/played one in person) to that super shiny gloss is like worlds apart!

I read about folks using carnuba wax (like for a car) to polish out scratches on a gloss finish, but never tried it myself...

That's pretty neat! Thanks for sharing :)

PS- what brand/type is the scratch-out paste?

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Pete

Looks awesome.

I have been through many Martin's and still have a custom Style 3K Tenor, but I have to say, my favorite ukulele by far is my 1T IZ. With Martin 620 strings, this ukulele just growls and has that throaty sound and punch with just the lightest of touches. I think Martin has really dialed in their Mahogany 1T IZ commemorative ukuleles.

Jim

I’ve been trying to decide between the Martin 1T IZ and a Kamaka hf3. That shine you put on your Martin shows off the wood beautifully. I’m might be leaning towards the Martin now.

That looks beautiful! I think you did the right thing, it really brings out the color of that lovely mahogany wood.

Nice job. What is the name of instrument scratch paste you used? Where did you get it. What a great job you did.

Top Bottom