Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Step up soprano uke <$400 - used preferred

Take a look at Martin's OXK or their bamboo variants if some color options make sense for her. Both are well made, sound great and are seasonably rugged. Plus they are far less than $400 used or new.
    Martin OXK Soprano
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1

Thanks everyone. I ended up ordering a Famous FS-5G just to try something different. I figure the laminate should be durable and people seem very happy with the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by kkimura View Post
    Take a look at Martin's OXK or their bamboo variants if some color options make sense for her. Both are well made, sound great and are seasonably rugged. Plus they are far less than $400 used or new.
    Hey, K,
    How do you like your Eastman concert?
    Kind of nice appointments for the money.
    Wondered how they stack up against other brands...
    Haven't seen one.
    Tracie

Island Koa Instruments, prototype soprano, Peter Howlett #153
    Weymann soprano, 20's or 30's?
    Martin O, 1960's
    Kiwaya KTS-7
    Lanikai SPS-S spruce top
    Kanile'a K1 Concert
    Kamaka 1969 Tiki Concert
    Kala Elite 1MHG Concert
    Larrivee UT40MHO spruce/hog Tenor
    Guild Bari

Quote Originally Posted by ukeinfused View Post
    Hey, K,
    How do you like your Eastman concert?
    Kind of nice appointments for the money.
    Wondered how they stack up against other brands...
    Haven't seen one.
    I was lucky that a music shop in Southern VT had a them in stock so I could try them out. Their French polish finish is immaculate and nicely brings out the grain of the mahogany body. The build is reasonably light, tone is good to my ears and the action was very low but with no buzzing when strummed hard. I believe it came with Aquilas but have Martin M600 with a Fremont wound low G on mine now.

Stacked up against my other ukes;
    not as loud as the OXK (which also has Martin M600 strings)
    More sustain and clarity than the S1
    not as much dynamic range as the HF3
    Better intonation up the neck than my sopranos, about the same as the tenor.

All in all, a keeper for my tastes.
    Martin OXK Soprano
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1

Quote Originally Posted by Kes_ View Post
    My daughter is 5 so a small uke is probably for the best as she is already stretching her hands to make it. I agree it is kind of a pain playing hers and I'd prefer a wide but width one, but I can manage for now.

I might just get a concert and not worry about handing it down. She can always get a better one in several years for a birthday or something.

As for humidity, weal are in the Bay area in Calidornia so it is never that dry.

Have you considered a Flea or Fluke? Extremely durable, well made by wonderful people in Massachusetts, excellent action and intonation, sound great and come in a wide variety of colors and designs.

In my opinion, they are one of the very best choices for newer players and their durability makes them especially well suited for kids. They are nearly indestructible, yet sound and play beautifully. It would also be a very long time before she would feel the need to “upgrade”. I’m 55 and have been playing for years, and they are still my go to instruments.

https://www.magicfluke.com/Default.asp

Scooter
    Tenor Koa Fluke (rosewood fretboard, Pegheds)
    Concert Tie-Dye Flea (rosewood fretboard, Lucy's tuners)
    Soprano Firefly (walnut fretboard, Pegheds)
    Late 40's Martin Style 1 soprano
    Concert Oscar Schmidt Mousekulele
    Tenor Mainland Mahogany Slothead
    Concert Eddy Finn Moon and Stars

"The way I see it as soon as a baby is born, he should be issued a Ukulele."
    ~Linus Van Pelt~

Thanks everyone. I ended up ordering a Famous FS-5G just to try something different. I figure the laminate should be durable and people seem very happy with the sound.
    Great choice. I hope you both like it.
    Tiny Tenor spruce/mahogany
    Kiwaya KTC-2 mahogany concert
    Kiwaya KS-5 soprano
    Flight Travel soprano

I have one of those and I think this was a fantastic choice. It sounds and plays better than many solid wood ukuleles that cost a lot more. Playability is extremely good, right out of the box. You only need very little pressure for clear notes, and in fact, pressing the strings too hard will quickly lead to sharp notes. It was excellently set up right from the factory. Should be perfect for children hands. It's also loud and requires very little maintenance.

I could never figure out what strings it came with. I read somewhere that it was Titanium ones, but I bought those and they were not the same. I eventually settled for Living Water strings, which work very well on this soprano and don't cause intonation problems. They have a similar feel, too.

Thread Information