Why music is dying.

Nickie

Reaction score
Last edited:
I watched the video and thought it was interesting, but I never have cared for pop music. I’m so far outta step with today’s music that whatever they do to it won’t have any effect on me.

I’m not really into buying music anymore either. I’m pretty happy with what I got. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
If you take the best of yesterday and compare it with the formulaic dross of today, it will always make the present time look awful. I grew up in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Most of the popular music back then was rock and roll (not known for originality or invention), with some simple ballads thrown in - oh! and there were a few comical songs in the mix, as well. Compared to the very best on offer from previous generations, it was dire - but the previous generations produced a lot colourless empty rubbish, too. We forget that crap, and just remember the good stuff.

It's only "popular" (ie. commercial, make-a-quick-buck) music. Look there for quality, and you will always find mountainous slag heaps containing extremely rare nuggets.

John Colter.

I'm an avid follower of popular music...especially the popular music of the "Roaring 20s" which lends itself very well to ukulele, I might add. ;)

I think one of the main reasons that today’s music is so “blah” is that most people are listeners — not musicians of some sort.

People buy all that recorded stuff (CDs and phonograph records in my case) and maybe hum or even sing along with it. I think those who do play or sing or dance do it in hopes of “making it big” instead of playing just for enjoyment.

Another reason that recorded music hurts our music is that it’s perfect! That scares people trying to perform in front of a live audience. It also makes one’s practice sessions seem like a waste of time. The So and So Band or Performer doesn’t make any mistakes at all (especially after all the retakes, etc.). I’ve seen singers forget the words and instrumentalists lose their place in the music. Ha! I’ve done those things myself.

When I was a kid, there were night clubs with live bands and singers all over the place. My next door neighbor played in a dance band in a big ball room downtown. He was the music arranger too. One had to learn to dance for proms and parties too. Girls semed to love to get dressed up and dance. I played second trombone in a dance band, and though we weren’t very successful, the rehearsals were fun.

Well, I guess times are different nowadays, and I’m outta step again. I guess that’s how it’s supposed to be. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
I fell asleep listening to the video.

Naw, music never dies. Yes that's a plural concept for music does change over time. Time and time again music changes, evolving, devolving, becoming ever more complex then less. following some elusive popular force.

Ask any generation what their parents thought of the current popular music. Yes, we have trouble with change and at the same time look away from the status quo toward any thing new (and thus more interesting) leaving some wishing for "the good old days".

I dunno . . . Those of us who like folk music are still playing music that was popular in the 18th century. And country music goes way back too, and it’s still played and sung today. Those Golden Oldies from the Big Band era are certainly played a lot and hummed and published in our music books.

Some of the tunes of the sixties may be remembered, but now I mostly hear Rap and it’s derivatives being played when I’m dialing the radio looking for some tunes or sittin’ in my car waitin’ for the light to change.

I wonder if anyone gathers at the beach or park or even their backyard and sings today’s popular music . . .

I'm very much a simple melody person, if I cant whistle the melody line then I am usually not attracted to the tune, however, I do view music as an art, and therefore appreciate others choice what they hang on their walls.....I love the fact that the 60s, 70s and 80s revivals have all gone on longer than the actual decade(s)..

There is plenty of music made today that is great, don't blame others if you can't be bothered to look for yourself.
And I can tell you for a fact that I've heard the same thing since I was a little kid, long, long time ago.

There is plenty of music made today that is great, don't blame others if you can't be bothered to look for yourself.
And I can tell you for a fact that I've heard the same thing since I was a little kid, long, long time ago.

My father told me in 1957 that R&R would never last. I think he was wrong.

I agree with maki66. I'm 68 years old and I'm always hearing new songs on Alt Nation that I like. I'm a 21 Pilots fan. They've probably done more for popularizing the ukulele with kids these days than anyone. I have House of Gold in my playlist just because younger people like to hear it. I think that sometimes older people hear some song that they don't like and then paint everyone with the same brush. There's good stuff out there.

Clearly, “good” music is really just a matter of taste. I guess I was mistakenly writing about “lasting” music and not today’s pop music. My bad. :eek:ld:

Take heart, "gangsta rap" will dominate the "oldies channels" soon!

Top Bottom