New Cordoba Mini II

48mm (1 7/8") is still pretty uncommon for a guitar, though.
Except in the "crossover" market, which is marketing-speak to entice steel string acoustic players to try nylon. 48mm is pretty much the standard there. After trying the two I mentioned, I think in the middle would be even better and there are some guileles with 46mm. But it's kinda splitting hairs at that point.

Except in the "crossover" market, which is marketing-speak to entice steel string acoustic players to try nylon. 48mm is pretty much the standard there. After trying the two I mentioned, I think in the middle would be even better and there are some guileles with 46mm. But it's kinda splitting hairs at that point.

I didn't know 48mm was the standard for crossover guitars, but this is useful to know. Dave recently mentioned a crossover guitar, too, and 48mm does seem a good width for me. Definitely something to look into, some day... not now, not now. (Don't mind me. ;))

Lakewood use 46mm nuts on their steel string guitars. I looked into those since are built in Germany, but reason won for a change.

48mm is my preferred nut width for a short scale crossover guitar. But in addition to that, I'd also prefer a radius fretboard.

Yea the 1-7/8" neck on my Cordoba C10 crossover is a comfortable width for me. This new Mini ll with the larger body, longer scale length and 1-7/8"nut width compared to the original Mini was the tipping point for me to order one. Rainer I agree with you about the radius, I REALLY wish it had that but at this price point I will give it a shot.

Yea the 1-7/8" neck on my Cordoba C10 crossover is a comfortable width for me. This new Mini ll with the larger body, longer scale length and 1-7/8"nut width compared to the original Mini was the tipping point for me to order one. Rainer I agree with you about the radius, I REALLY wish it had that but at this price point I will give it a shot.

No worries
If you don’t want it. I will buy it from you . I just need my left arm to grow longer. Am working on that.

No worries
If you don’t want it. I will buy it from you . I just need my left arm to grow longer. Am working on that.

You and Simon are the biggest poachers. Always let me buy first and take the risk.......then you guys try to buy it from me when it is wonderful

First, what is this "yamaha mini" you speak of?

As far as the nut, different strokes I guess. I have the 2" Mini and 1-3/4" C1M and I personally prefer the neck of the C1M

Now that I remember, the yamaha gl1.
For full sized guitars 52mm is pretty standard. I wish my original mini was 52mm but I don't think anyone does non full sized with that width. And I still pretty prefer my baritone still.

Last edited:
I picked up my Mini II MH late yesterday afternoon. Initial impression: I prefer my Mini R, which is tuned E-E with the special Mini Aquila strings, but maybe that's just me. The Mini R seems warmer, but the Mini II may have greater sustain - I plan on doing more comparisons over the weekend, both to each other and to a few other short-scale travel-type guitars that I have. I'm especially interested in the comparison to the Cordoba Requinto (which is not a requinto, as you may know - it's billed as a 1/2-size classical, but is actually larger than that), since both have a 580 mm scale and both came with the same strings.

I pre-ordered it in mid-June through a local shop. They went over it before calling to tell me it had arrived, and said it needed minimal work in the way of setup. The fret ends were a bit sharp, but they took care of that.

Does anyone else have one yet? What are your impressions?

Last edited:
Thanks for the review, Kathryn! Looking forward to reading your future findings...

I was at Elderly the other day and played a Cordoba Mini SM, as they didn't have the Mini II in stock. I came home with a Romero Pepe SR signature model. I find the longer 24.75" (~629mm) scale length to be more comfortable ... and I have a much greater choice in strings without having to frankenstein my own set, as any hard tension classical guitar strings should be fine. I do quite like the stock strings though.

I was at Elderly the other day and played a Cordoba Mini SM, as they didn't have the Mini II in stock. I came home with a Romero Pepe SR signature model. I find the longer 24.75" (~629mm) scale length to be more comfortable ... and I have a much greater choice in strings without having to frankenstein my own set, as any hard tension classical guitar strings should be fine. I do quite like the stock strings though.

Great choice I really like this instrument, congratulations. Please give us a bit of a review once you have spent some time with it.

Thank you for sharing this information, I was wondering if the Mini I with E strings wouldn't sound better then the Mini II. Somehow the YTube reviews and even the little film by Cordoba about the MiniII do not convince me. It sounds a bit out of tune.

I own a couple Cordoba Mini—Mini R and SM-CE—and didn't care for them in E to E tuning: not very resonant and too loose feeling. But they do sound decent in G to G (terz) and are comfortable to play. A to A is really high tension, even with lighter strings, albeit those used to steel strings might not be bothered.

Top Bottom