Tenor Ukes With Wide Spacing At The Nut

MD-Terp

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a tenor uke with string spacing of at least 1.5 inches at the nut. I'm aware of the Oscar Schmidt model with 1.75 inch spacing. I'd appreciate any suggestions from Forum members about other models with wide spacing. Thanks.

The Outdoor Ukulele tenors nutwidth is 1.5 inches, according to their specs.

Islander and Kanilea usually figure into these discussions. I've got an Islander soprano and love the wide fingerboard.

I've had a luthier replace the nut on a couple of my ukes with slightly wider spaced slots, even a little helped. I now make sure when I get a custom tenor made by Bruce Wei in Vietnam, the nut is 1.5 inches, much more comfortable.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

I'm trying to find a tenor uke with string spacing of at least 1.5 inches at the nut. I'm aware of the Oscar Schmidt model with 1.75 inch spacing. I'd appreciate any suggestions from Forum members about other models with wide spacing. Thanks.

I think Romero Creations grand tenor has a 1.5" nut width.

One of the reasons I decided to only buy custom mades was to get a wider fretboard.

Last edited:
Are you looking for 1.5" string spacing or overall nut width? Vastly different measurements. I know of no production ukuleles that have a 1-11/16" nut width. I'm guess around 2mm from string to edge minimum.

John

+ 2,3 or is it 4 others on the Kanilea Islander. I recently picked up a solid mahogany tenor Islander that I'm rather fond of. I love the wider nut, especially, and knowing they put that on everything down to the soprano is tweaking my UAS pretty badly.

Instruments made by The Magic Fluke Company, such as the Fluke and Flea, all have nuts at least 1.4" wide and string-to-string spacing is also pretty wide to make full use of that width.

see here: https://www.magicfluke.com/category-s/1830.htm

I have several and find them very comfortable to play. See the FAQ link in my forum signature below for tons of details and photos, as well as the experiences of others to find out more.

In "entry level" territory there are not too many options with a 1.5" nut. I know of only two: Cordoba 15TM and Donner DUT-1. Both of these have 1.5 inch nut, with correspondingly wider string spacing.

You can get the Cordoba for $100 - $120. Donner ukuleles are available online only, with the DUT-1 going for about $75 on Amazon.

I've handled both of these models and they are very decent entry level ukuleles. I bought and kept the Donner DUT-1 as a linear-tuned instrument for my kids to mess around with (they have re-entrant concert ukuleles for lessons and daily practice). The quality of the Donner model suprised me. Sound and intonation are very decent. I did need to take about 1/8-inch (!!) off the saddle, but the nut height was fine. Detailed review and comparison of the concert model (DUC-1) is at thewirecutter.com. Fred Sokolow was a member of that review team, and he liked the Donner model.

I've got two acacia koa Kala baritones that are about 6 yrs old. These came with a 1.5 inch nut. Great ukes for this price point.

Most baritones come with 1.5" nuts. OP is looking for tenors.

According to the specs on the Córdoba website, the nut width on the 15TM is standard (38mm or 1 1/2"). It's the 30 series that has the wider nut.

I can vouch for the Cordoba 24T tenor at least
... 1.5" at the nut . . and on a silky smooth neck, I might add.

Top Bottom