Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Planetary tuners

Default Planetary tuners

Is there a planetary tuner where you don't have to ream out the holes in the peghead? My friction tuners are driving me nuts, but I'm not into carving out the peghead either.

Thanks!
    Laurence

Martin T-1 Tenor
    YT Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/SeattleUke

Mods are almost always required.

If you had wooden friction tuners the Peghead 4-1 will usuallly drop right in with little to no modification. We don't know what your current setup is. Post a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnutz View Post
    Is there a planetary tuner where you don't have to ream out the holes in the peghead? My friction tuners are driving me nuts, but I'm not into carving out the peghead either.

Thanks!
    No carving or brute force is required to install Gotoh UPT or UPT-L tuners.

All you need are about a dozen gentle rotations of a tapered reamer until the hole on the back side of the headstock for the tuner shaft is approximately 10-10.5mm wide for about 7mm into the headstock

You usually do NOT need to enlarge the holes on the front-side of the headstock if they are at least 6mm dia. already.

Then the Gotoh tuners just go right in. I went REAL slow, and took maybe 20 mins. I have the Gotoh UPT-L tuners on 3 ukes now and they work well.

One thing also to consider is that the PegHeds, which have a much longer shaft, will stick out from the back of the headstock about 37mm, whereas the Gotoh tuners will only stick out about 24mm.

Why is the length an issue?

When you put the uke in the case, if the headstock area of the case is too shallow, or the neck support not tall enough, then the tuner buttons for the C and E strings may be pressing on the inside of the case, and this puts pressure on the scarf joint on the neck, and as such is an accident waiting to happen whereby the headstock gets snapped clean off.
    This ═╣FAQ link╠═ will help you learn about many things.
    You should click it, as the answers are waiting for you.

I would suggest removing one friction tuner to get a idea of what hole is there.
    The non violin friction pegs I have seen use a non tapered hole, but some may have a small chamfer at the top for the collar.
    Suggest you remove one peg and see what's there and to measure hole size.
    On the top underside of the Gotoh is a little pin which sticks into the headstock to stop the tuner rotating. This may not work if you have the chamfer at the top of the hole.
    Gotoh's iirc require a 9.5mm hole, if you have a 10mm hole put a layer of insultation tape around the Gotoh to make it fit!
    Remember, Gotoh's come in two lengths, (UPT and UPTL) so you will need to know the depth of your headstock to get the right one.
    h
    h

Thank you all for these very detailed replies. I’m sure this question gets asked a lot! I have a fairly vintage Martini so I also wonder if a retrofit would devalue it.
    Laurence

Martin T-1 Tenor

Thank you all for these very detailed replies. I’m sure this question gets asked a lot! I have a fairly vintage Martini so I also wonder if a retrofit would devalue it.
    I've had a few vintage martinis in my time.

But seriously, unless it's a high-value Martin like a 3K or a 5K, I wouldn't worry too much about replacing the tuners affecting the value. For every person who want it completely original, there will be one who wants modern tuners. If you'll enjoy the instrument more with planetary tuners, go for it!

Thanks, I would never sell this thing anyway so why worry? I'm just gonna play it until it looks like Willie Nelson's guitar.
    Laurence

Martin T-1 Tenor

One of my prized possessions is a 1923 Ludwig Wendell Hall banjo uke. These came stock with friction tuners. I had owned one years ago, and the stock tuners were pretty "meh." I found my current one at a guitar show, and the tuners had already been replaced by Five-Star planetary tuners. These not only work great, but they look really sharp, too. I probably wouldn't have replaced stock tuners, but I'm awfully glad somebody had already done it for me, because this uke is a dream to tune.

Thread Information