Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Hands Problems? Ask another small-hands person.

Thanks. Decided to take another run at it. Taking some lessons so I'm getting feedback which helps. just need to figure out music notation as well.

Most of the above post if not all seem to apply to healthy people. The young and healthy people should be very happy with their hand stretch because sooner or later the old muscles start getting stiff. Bones rub together or pinch nerves. Sometimes grown men have tears in their eyes when playing. I do not know my hand size yet, I will measure it later tonight. But I use to play a six string guitar and could play F barr chord with no problem after I was playing for about two years. Now I cannot even play a C chord, 032010. I quite playing guitar at age, about 75 years old because it was too painful to play. I picked up guitar again last year and my hands are still sore. The 4 to 5 year rest period did nothing to help. I went to doctor November 2017 and found I have fractured C2 C3 C4 C5 and C6. The pain radiates from my neck, left side, down my arm and through the fingers. All due to old age. So I started searching and found ukulele. What I always had thought was just a kids toy. I learned different by reading forums and September 2017 I purchased my Kala Baritone Ukulele which I love and can reach most chords. No barrs. So after I went to the doctor I decided to try a Tenor. Love it. It fits my hand beautifully. I have only had my Tenor Ukulele now for about 3 weeks and I love it. I can play most chord melodies from Mike Lynch books on first try, but, not smooth. That comes with practice. I did get rid of that high G when I changed strings. So enjoy your big hands while you can. In a few years you can join us guys with small hands and stiff, crippled hands. Just keep a good attitude when you get there. Play and have fun. My solid Acacia Melokia Tenor Ukulele was my 80th birthday present. I am so happy I learned about ukuleles.

Some really good posts on this thread, thanks for all that have contributed and affirmed that it’s normal to struggle and not to be able to manage all things. Just ‘cause someone can run a four minute mile doesn’t mean that we should all be able to, and likewise just ‘cause someone can manage perfectly on one size of Uke shouldn’t mean that another similar person is deficient if they can’t do the same.

The post above from John surely points out how different we all are and how time changes things, but no always for the better. John, as an aside, if you prefer Baritone tuning then, IIRC, strings are available to give you that on a Tenor. Good luck with the playing and may it be as pain free as possible.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 06-15-2018 at 05:24 AM.

You know Johnnysmash I didn't address normal and large hands with extra issues because most of the time the topic of hand size and ukulele size comes up on this board, it is almost always a woman who claims to have a small hand size who tries to play a larger ukulele and has problems. It was never my intention to cover all issues with hand size and ukulele size. You do bring a valid point though so thanks for sharing! I struggle with some minor arthritis in my hands hence why I have to press down on the fretting hand to see what its max stretch is so yes that would affect ability to comfortably fret a larger scale instrument. I am not as old as you but would not consider myself young by any means.

If you decide to measure your hands check out the difference between your fretting hand and the one that doesn't fret. I never thought the difference would be so noticeable.

When I made this post, I didn't really have an agenda except maybe to quantify how small is a "small hand" in the stringed instrument world; and boy was I shocked by the results myself! It was not what I expected at all. I expected there was a hand size that would be limited to ukuleles smaller than a tenor. My world is different now.
    My current stable:

(Son of Snaggletooth) Romero Creations Tiny Tenor Spruce & Rosewood
    (Coco) Hanknn Koa Concert
    (Spruce Bringsteen) Burks Spruce Soprano
    (bootleg) aNueNue pineapple Concert
    (Toothless) IZ thinbody soprano w/ pickup

Quote Originally Posted by captain-janeway View Post
    Thanks. Decided to take another run at it. Taking some lessons so I'm getting feedback which helps. just need to figure out music notation as well.
    As long as you are having fun with it that's all that matters! I'm still figuring out music notation myself for ukuleles! And I've been extra naughty and picked up a smaller scale guitar again!
    My current stable:

(Son of Snaggletooth) Romero Creations Tiny Tenor Spruce & Rosewood
    (Coco) Hanknn Koa Concert
    (Spruce Bringsteen) Burks Spruce Soprano
    (bootleg) aNueNue pineapple Concert
    (Toothless) IZ thinbody soprano w/ pickup

Thread Information