Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best back and sides wood to pair with Redwood?

Default Best back and sides wood to pair with Redwood?

I'd be interested in your experience or preferences, and sound samples if you have them. I think I know where I'm heading but incase I've missed anything, and I'm sure I have...

Unfortunately I'm in the UK so non-CITES options for me (no rosewoods) or cocobolo (kinda rosewood) etc but still would be great to hear your personal preferences.

Thanks
    Last edited by Pete F; 06-13-2018 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete F View Post
    I'd be interested in your experience or preferences, and sound samples if you have them. I think I know where I'm heading but incase I've missed anything, and I'm sure I have...

Unfortunately I'm in the UK so non-CITES options for me (no rosewoods) or cocobolo (kinda rosewood) etc but still would be great to hear you personal preferences.

Thanks
    It depends on the look and sound you want, there are plenty of pictures and sound samples here on UU. Of course, the sound depends mostly on the builder. Personally, Iíve played ukes that had redwood paired successfully with mahogany, ziricote, koa, walnut, and paduak. All sounded very good.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Walnut.

I own an I'iwi tenor ukulele redwood and walnut, I listened to all the different I'iwi wood combos and I liked this the best. I have had it almost two years and still love it, so does everyone that has played it.

I recently had a custom super concert built by Hank Johnson of Kimo Ukuleles, redwood and walnut. Different builder, different size and it sounds amazing. He was at little unsure because he had not used the combo before but was very impressed. Again so are all my friends, one wants to steal it, lol. I might have a baritone built with the same combo

But as Hodge said above there are a number of woods that work well
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 06-13-2018 at 01:10 AM.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

The walnut/redwood is a good combo I agree.....

im probably going to get flac for this comment, but although the top makes a huge difference, I don't think the sides and back wood really make alot of difference.

That isn't to say the back and sides don't do anything, but I think what your builder does to the wood of the back and sides is a billion times more important than the wood type used for it. If you trust your builder, I'd pick the back and sides by cosmetics.

East Indian Rosewood sounds good too. I have a custom parlor guitar with Sinker Redwood and a Griffin tenor with EIR and RW top that sounds outstanding. The redwood/walnut is a great choice too.

Quote Originally Posted by spookelele View Post
    im probably going to get flac for this comment, but although the top makes a huge difference, I don't think the sides and back wood really make alot of difference.

That isn't to say the back and sides don't do anything, but I think what your builder does to the wood of the back and sides is a billion times more important than the wood type used for it. If you trust your builder, I'd pick the back and sides by cosmetics.
    I tend to agree. I ordered a custom with London plane, laburnum, English walnut, and English cherry--not because I measured the density of the woods, but because I wanted something as cool as me (i.e., not just another koa yawn-fest). So what I'm saying is that the wood is more for the player than the instrument. So get something that means something to you. In my case I wanted a warm sounding uke made with idiosyncratic woods. If in your philosophy redwood and walnut balance each other...then go for it.

I get what y'all saying. I know the top and the builder are the most important. I just want to hear of other peoples choices to add to the mix.

As much as I know walnut and redwood are a great paring, it isn't the route I'm taking for the personal choice reasons mentioned.

Thanks for your comments so far, much appreciated.

Choose a wood from the UK.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 06-13-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Alas, you’ve already stated that you’re not going the Redwood/Walnut route, but I had Fred Shields build me one with that combo. I’ll be meeting up with it in a week and a half, I’m getting excited

Thread Information