Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best back and sides wood to pair with Redwood?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete F View Post
    I'd be interested in your experience or preferences, and sound samples if you have them. I think I know where I'm heading but incase I've missed anything, and I'm sure I have...

Unfortunately I'm in the UK so non-CITES options for me (no rosewoods) or cocobolo (kinda rosewood) etc but still would be great to hear your personal preferences.

Thanks
    Rosewood still available in the UK, just bought a sopranino solid rosewood back and sides.. :-)
    Barnes and Mullins "The Gresse" Soprano + Concert + Tenor + Baritone + Martin S1 + Old Clover solid Mahogany Soprano (needing TLC) + Ohana SK21-A Sopranino

The truth is, I don't know.....

I have a Talsma concert size Vita style with figured redwood top and paired with cuban mahogany back and sides. It sounds great to my ear!

Quote Originally Posted by dsummers View Post
    I have a Talsma concert size Vita style with figured redwood top and paired with cuban mahogany back and sides. It sounds great to my ear!
    That must be fabulous sounding. Cedar and mahogany is a great combo, one of my favorites.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

I'm not sure how it compares to cedar in tone, but my Gary Gill tenor is Douglas Fir & Mahogany. It has Worth Brown strings on it & it's got an awesome mellow sound. My Loprinzi concert is cedar & rosewood. It's somewhere in the middle tone wise between my bright koa KoAloha concert & my mellow Gary Gill tenor.
    My ukulele family.....
    Imua iSN soprano
    Islander Acacia laminate soprano
    KoAloha concert - circa 2006
    Loprinzi cedar & rosewood concert
    Gary Gill concert scale tenor, Douglas Fir & Mahogany

Mahogany is my default choice, but I am exploring other possibilities. Anyone familiar with Wenge - pronounced wen-gee which I find amusing

I will agree that walnut is a nice b/s material, I have a cedar/walnut ukulele. In the guitar world, macassar is used with redwood with good results. It is also a gorgeous wood that goes well with redwood.

John

Mahogany is my default choice, but I am exploring other possibilities. Anyone familiar with Wenge - pronounced wen-gee which I find amusing
    Good thing it is not pronounced Wedgee. Dont know if this translates across the ocean. As young boys we would sneak up behind a friend grab the underwear band and pull up real hard. Wedging the underwear up the crack of your friends butt. Yea young boys are savages.

Sorry to get off topic......Jake of Hive Ukuleles likes and has used Wenge with good results. HMS had one of his and the sound sample was great

Yes I know what a wedgie or wed-gee is thank you very much!

Good tip on the macassar ebony - that's now on my list of contenders. Thanks

Yes I know what a wedgie or wed-gee is thank you very much!

Good tip on the macassar ebony - that's now on my list of contenders. Thanks
    Member sam13 has a LfdM with sinker redwood and Malaysian blackwood, very similar to macassar ebony. Sounds great, I've played it numerous times

Ziricote is what I paired with my figured redwood top.

Thread Information