"the serenader" any idea about this uke. Pic included

For a minute I thought you were talking about the AudioVox Serenader short scale bass guitar, the first solid body electric bass ever made, circa mid 1930s (no, Leo Fender and Les Paul were not the first, theirs were just marketed better than the AudioVox).

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
"B & J stands for Buegeliesen and Jacobson. B&J was an instrument distributor based in New York City. They did not manufacture their own instruments. Instead, they sold instruments made by an assortment of different companies. Their instruments were sold under a number of brand names, including Serenader, Mele, and SS Stewart. The Serenader name was first used on Ukuleles in 1926. The trademark was registered in 1927 and renewed in 1947, so it was used for quite a long period of time. Your ukulele was made by the Harmony Company of Chicago in the 1930s. It is one of Harmony's better ukuleles, with all mahogany construction. It appears to be in very nice condition."

- from Ukulele Hall of Fame Site

i found this while trying to research what uke i inherited from my great grandpa, it has the serenader logo but otherwise i haven't found anything like it, i have attached pictures (if it worked) and hopefully that will help someone who knows more than me figure out what time at least it was from
20180826_221716 (1).jpg20180826_221721.jpg

Glad to see you are putting this old example of a Chicago build back in playing condition. I'm not a luthier but I do rescue missions on similar ukuleles. Stringing up one after a rescue is always a great adventure.

i found this while trying to research what uke i inherited from my great grandpa, it has the serenader logo but otherwise i haven't found anything like it, i have attached pictures (if it worked) and hopefully that will help someone who knows more than me figure out what time at least it was from
View attachment 111558View attachment 111559

Glad to see you are putting this old example of a Chicago build back in playing condition. I'm not a luthier but I do rescue missions on similar ukuleles. Stringing up one after a rescue is always a great adventure.

Indeed, it's a Regal build from Chicago, 1930's (or 20's maybe). I've seen this stencil on unbranded and Regal-branded ukes, but this is the first I've seen with a Serenader brand.

Top Bottom