Video Play Alongs

I created a version of “Yellow Submarine” earlier today, which was blocked by YouTube (it happens, particularly with Beatles music). I came across an article about the top ten ukulele moments, and in it was a live version of I’m Yours. If you haven’t noticed, I try to make video play alongs with clean language and content (I even re-worked Simon and Garfunkel’s “Cecilia” to remove the “Making love in the afternoon” verse). “I’m Yours” isn’t that rough with language, but there are a couple of words and phrases that have made me uncomfortable when I use it in the classroom. This live version was from Good Morning America, and Jason Mraz performed a 100% clean version—so I made a version of it. There are about three others, I’ll link those, too.

Ukulaliens: Rachel Webley does a wonderful job...this one has the language, though...

And the two versions by Dr. Reese. Dr. Reese started this process, and uses existing lyric videos, adding chords to those videos. The second version cuts out the audio on the swear words.

Chris, I am really enjoying the play along videos. I'm an old guy and had surgery a while back and the recovery is very slow. I can't get out to do alot of the active things and playing my uke helps. Thank you. Steve.

Chris, I am really enjoying the play along videos. I'm an old guy and had surgery a while back and the recovery is very slow. I can't get out to do alot of the active things and playing my uke helps. Thank you. Steve.

Steve...thanks for the feedback. I’m glad you are finding them of use. Make sure to use the index at ukestuff.info or ukeability.org to search through other songs that are available (I’m not sure when ukeability was last updated, and I have not updated my lists for a few weeks—those songs would be in this thread).

And if you have any requests, send me a message!

I spent some time on the Top 40 charts and ended up frustrated by the content (language or content Matter) for nearly all the songs. Today I ran across a two chord song website, and I’m probably going to work on those for a while.

Today: Oh, Dear, What Can The Matter Be? I also found a three chord version that I might also make at some point.

Another two chord song, Old Joe Clark. Old Joe Clark can commonly use I & V7, but this version goes from I & VII. In three versions...In G (G & F...transposed down), A (A & G...Original Key), and A for Baritone.

Here’s today’s song (another 2 chord song), originally in D, but I also moved it to C (thinking beginners and adding to the 80+ songs we have created that use C, F, G, G7, and Am.

I posted these elsewhere in answer to another thread, but here is Oh, John the Rabbit. In C for ukulele, in the original Key of E for Baritone Ukulele. I could have made the song in F for ukulele, but the specific request on the thread was for C.

I just got inspired to tackle the “Little Brown Jug” after reading about it in the “How Did the Ukulele Find You” thread.

Sometimes you come across songs and you just can’t use the words...I try to do school friendly work, but you can’t get past the original lyrics from 1868 and the meaning of the brown jug. Solution? Use an instrumental version. You can’t get past this song’s influence (both in the folk and jazz worlds), so a good solution is an instrumental version.

The brown jug I use as the “bouncing ball” is the Michigan/Minnesota traveling trophy, one of the oldest in college football. As a graduate of the University of Minnesota, I used a brown jug from one of the rare years that Minnesota won the trophy....

If you are on UU, you personally don’t need this video. With beginners, however, we often rush them through four or five chords in the first setting, which can overload a new player (particularly kids). The video play alongs just have a few songs that require one chord, and I tripped on this one yesterday and decided to bring it to the catalog.

The strumming pattern Keith Urban uses is pretty advanced—I would just have a beginner play a normal down up strum (DUDUDUDU) without worry about the rest.

We used to have “Low Rider” as a one chord song in G, created by a couple of different music teachers, but the copyright holder recently blocked them...so it is nice to have another option in G.

Another one-chord song (getting materials ready for teachers who go back soon—some in the next two weeks). You probably don’t have problems playing this song—but imagine the music teacher with 3rd grade ukulele classes...

And some other scattered recent videos:

Take Me Home, Country Roads (Video by Kevin Way)

The A Team Ukulele Play Along (Video by Rachel Webley)

More Than Friends Ukulele Play Along (In D) (Video by Andy Ramos)

More Than Friends Ukulele Play Along (In C) (Video by Andy Ramos)

How about some more play alongs?

I had the chance to meet Pismo at the LA Ukulele Festival. I’m a big fan of his work (I have posted elsewhere about this). Here is the Pismo Theme...

And for Baritone Ukulele...

Have It All (In G)

Have It All (In F)

Have It All Baritone Ukulele Play Along (In G)

Top Bottom