Name That Uke!

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Hello folks, I'm your host Dink Martindale, and welcome to...Name That Uke! On today's show, we compare the sound of 3 soprano ukes: a 40's Martin Style 0, a Kiwaya laminate mahogany KS-1, and a Famous (by Kiwaya) laminate koa FS-5. Each has Martin M600 strings. Ukes first get played with some fingerpicking, then each gets strummed, in the same order. Please add your opinions, which you like best: Uke #1, Uke 2 or Uke #3. Thanks for playing, and let's see if you can...Name That Uke!

The big reveal will be tomorrow at 9am US eastern time, but you'll all probably be able to figure it out well before then :confused:
(No ukes were harmed in the making of this episode, at least they haven't complained...yet)

2 Kiwaya, 1 Martin.jpg
Pic shows Martin Style 0 on left, Famous FS-5 in the middle, and Kiwaya KS-1 on right, then I mixed them up before recording the video.

Last edited:
I like #3 by a small margin (between 1 & 3). #3 just sounds warmer to me which has always been my preference. That said, I would assume that is the Mahogany Martin?

They all sound nice for different reasons though.

I'm new to soprano ukes & pretty clueless ......but here goes nothing. #1 is the Martin, #2 is the Koa Famous, and #3 is the mahogany Kiwaya. I prefer the sound of #1.

I think #1 is the FS-5, #2 is the Martin, and #3 is the FS-1. They all sound great.

I prefer the sound of #3, but they all sound good. Bear in mind, what we are hearing is an electronic representation of the sound - not the real thing.

John Colter

I think #1 has the brightest sound.
I wouldn't know what a Kiwaya sounds like.
But I do own laminates that sound awesome.

I don't have a clue on which is which, but like #3 fingerpicked, and #2 strummed...but they all sound good, and I enjoyed your playing.

Even though I don't have any guesses, I enjoy when people do these comparisons, and thank you for doing it.

my guess is that 3 is the martin...2 is koa and 1 is the yudder one

Hey, thanks for playing! Here's the order:

Uke #1: Famous FS-5 koa laminate
Uke #2: 40's Martin Style 0
Uke #3: Kiwaya KS-1 laminate mahogany

Ziret...you nailed it!

Ziret...you nailed it!

Uhm, I think you got that list backwards, please check again. :p

I actually own a couple Vintage Martin's and a Famous FS-5, so I should have gotten this one. Fun nonetheless, thanks for doing it!

Hey, I got one of them right ;) Maybe because the only one of the three that I've owned was a Famous laminate mahogany, so I could kinda hear the Famous/Kiwaya mahogany sound????

Interesting ....... the Martin had a lot more jangle to it than I thought.

Last edited:

Ziret...you nailed it!

It is really amazing how well the Kiwayas hold their own against the Martin.

Ziret...you nailed it!

You said the prize is the Martin, right? :smileybounce::smileybounce:

Top Bottom