Older Man and his 1st Ukulele?

DiscGolfGuy

Reaction score
At age 50+ I'm interested in learning a musical instrument that's fun to play, is interesting, has a unique sound, and I can purchase it without spending a great deal of money. I played tenor saxophone for 7 years when in school and attempted to play guitar in my 30s but didn't stick with it (played maybe 10 times within the first month).

My son is interested in learning to play guitar but I'd prefer not to go down that road again myself, spend that much money (it seems like $200 is needed to get decent quality) on myself, or play such a common instrument.

I had no idea what instrument I might like to learn until last year when I started listening to 21 Pilots and went to see them in concert...after seeing him play the ukulele ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmemeE9vh7Y&disable_polymer=true ) live, 20000 fans screaming, looking at numerous other videos on the internet, and falling in love with the sound of it, I believe the ukulele is the instrument for me.

Obviously not being familiar with the ukulele I have several questions I'm hoping you can help me with:

1) Is Kala a brand that offers pretty good quality at a great price? Would any of these be a decent ukulele to begin with?
- Kala Learn to Play https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F543PAW/?coliid=I2C3RKVLLV3Y22&colid=3MKPTD4TB6A20&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
- Kala Satin Mahogany https://www.guitarcenter.com/Kala/Satin-Mahogany-Soprano-Ukulele-1394721681095.gc
- Kala Makala Pack https://www.guitarcenter.com/Kala/Makala-Soprano-Ukulele-Pack.gc
- Kala Makala Concert https://www.guitarcenter.com/Kala/Makala-Concert-Ukulele.gc

2) Are there other brands that offer under $70 ukuleles that I should consider? Again, I'm not wanting to spend much more than that. The less I spend, but still get decent quality that's fun to play, the better...any extra I save will allow me to get a little better guitar for my son.

3) Does anyone use a pick to play the ukulele? I ask because I have the bad habit of biting my nails extremely short...didn't know if a pick might be easier since I don't have any fingernails or not?

4) Is there an online program that you would recommend? My son can't stand his videos but I kinda like the JustinGuitar videos.

5) I've got some pretty long fingers (not fat, just long)...would a soprano ukulele be fine to start with?

6) Is it "safe" to purchase ukuleles online? I ask because the local music shops (ie: within 60 miles) don't have a lot of cheaper offerings. I don't want to order one and then get it just to find out there are things on it that need to be adjusted/fixed and I have no clue what to do.

7) Is there a relatively cheap but good digital tuner that would work for both the ukulele and the acoustic guitar?

8) What other information or advice do you feel like I need and/or should know?

I appreciate you time and help!!!

btw...cannot get enough of listening to this guy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4-8GzYk0RM

DGGuy

Last edited:
Ukes are good fun! A proper instrument. :)

As you have had experience of playing a guitar, I'd recommend getting a tenor uke, & in your price range, I'd suggest taking a serious look at a Kala KA-T, I have one amongst my collection, & still enjoy it's tone.

Other brands to consider are Ohana & Mainland - all three brands get good write ups.

(I really like my solid mahogany Ohanas too, but they may be a bit more than you want to spend.)

Do buy online if you want, but use one of the dealers recommended on here, as you will receive a well set up uke.

Welcome.

Any Kala would be a good choice. They are outstanding ukes. You'll want to consider size as well. I prefer Tenor which one of the larger ones but most folks I stumble across like the Concert style which is a bit smaller.

For beginner, Enya, Luna, Fender and Ibanez make quaility ukes but there are soooo many more. Consider nut width as well when choosing. I found that larger nut sized fit my sausage-like digits a bit better.

I've purchased all my ukes online save one and I've only had issues with setup once. Get friendly with your local music shop and they can assist should you notice any odd noises and feelings.

I'd start with no pick...short fingernails work great for me (a 50+ beginner as well though not as "green" as you) and I've used eMedia methods to learn the basics of guitar and uke. Good software. Although there are so many videos on YouTube, you might just be better off going that route.

Lastly, have fun man. Find some folks who play at your local shop or at meetup.com. It's a great instrument.

Kalas are excellent. We have a bunch in different sizes and flavors.
We have purchased though Amazon using Austin Bazaar vendor who does a good set up.
Austin Bazaar has their own web site too, but we get free shipping when we use Amazon.
There are many vendors who do good set up and are dependable, Mims Ukulele. Uke Republic, and The Ukulele Site.
https://reverb.com/shop/mimsukes
http://www.ukerepublic.com/
https://www.theukulelesite.com/
https://www.amazon.com/s?marketplac...M4FMOSU&merchant=A3C1OYEM4FMOSU&redirect=true

I'm an older adult male starter, 50+ yrs old, 6'1" and you can play any size you want, I do.

Welcome!! I took up uke when I was 40; I have several friends who started playing guitar around the same time. It is so awesome to pick up later in life! I felt parts of my brain working that hadn't been worked since I was a kid, lol... but what a blast. Super happy for you.

I wouldn't sweat the first uke purchase too much, because the truth is, pretty much no matter what you do, you will want another uke in six months or a year. Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome is the only downside to uking's many upsides.... :)

ps: Unless you have a local music dealer/seller you know and trust, I would recommend buying online from Hawaii Music Supply or Mim's ukes. They will set it up properly. I know it's counterintuitive to buy a musical instrument online, but half the people selling on craigslist never learned how to play, much less had the instrument set up properly. The kids at Guitar Center don't know jack about uke action and intonation. Stay away from Amazon, where there is zero setup. A proper setup is crucial to how much you will enjoy the instrument, and how much others will enjoy listening. :)

ps: Unless you have a local music dealer/seller you know and trust, I would recommend buying online from Hawaii Music Supply or Mim's ukes. They will set it up properly. I know it's counterintuitive to buy a musical instrument online, but half the people selling on craigslist never learned how to play, much less had the instrument set up properly. The kids at Guitar Center don't know jack about uke action and intonation. Stay away from Amazon, where there is zero setup. A proper setup is crucial to how much you will enjoy the instrument, and how much others will enjoy listening. :)

Yes to all this. I started at 55. I've bought ukes from big-box stores that weren't set up and were awful.

Kala or Makala (their bargain label) make fine starter ukes, as does Ohana, in your price range. Mim is great, does an excellent setup, and should have something in your price range. Sometimes you'll find instruments in that range from Penny Lane or Elderly, and they do setups as well. But I'd start with Mim.

If your fingers are long and thin, a soprano would be fine. You may prefer concert simply because you have a bit more space between frets.

As you have had experience of playing a guitar, I'd recommend getting a tenor uke, & in your price range, I'd suggest taking a serious look at a Kala KA-T, I have one amongst my collection, & still enjoy it's tone.

Do buy online if you want, but use one of the dealers recommended on here, as you will receive a well set up uke.

Excited to hear that...truly looking forward to this adventure!!!

I haven't experienced a guitar, at least playing it consistently, more than probably a month. I was in my mid 30s, had a 5 year old daughter, and wasn't willing to devote much time to it...and to be honest it wasn't an instrument I looked forward to spending a lot of time with. I truly believe the ukulele is going to be different!

I was looking at the different sizes of the ukulele and to be honest, I think the concert may be what I'm most interested in. I think the soprano may be too small but I think the tenor may be a bit too large---looking too much like a mini guitar, an instrument I don't have fond memories of ;)

I appreciate your input!

Welcome.

Consider nut width as well when choosing. I found that larger nut sized fit my sausage-like digits a bit better.

I've purchased all my ukes online save one and I've only had issues with setup once. Get friendly with your local music shop and they can assist should you notice any odd noises and feelings.

I'd start with no pick...short fingernails work great for me (a 50+ beginner as well though not as "green" as you) and I've used eMedia methods to learn the basics of guitar and uke.

Lastly, have fun man.

I appreciate the advice and recommendations.

I have a question about picks...are there special ones make for the ukulele that give a less harsh sound? I saw something called a 'felt' pick...wasn't sure what that was!

Thank you...I plan too! While my son wants to learn to play the acoustic guitar, and I'd love to learn the same instrument at the same time as him, I really wasn't thrilled about trying to learn the guitar again...totally thrilled to learn the ukulele. And who knows, once he starts playing his guitar and I start playing my uke he will want to learn it as well.

Kalas are excellent. We have a bunch in different sizes and flavors.
We have purchased though Amazon using Austin Bazaar vendor who does a good set up.
Austin Bazaar has their own web site too, but we get free shipping when we use Amazon.

Love seeing under $80 musical instruments being recommended and not having someone tell me you have to spend $250 on a certain instrument or your just not going to be happy and you're just wasting your money!

Really interested in possibly ordering from Austin Bazaar...great website, a lot of options (single ukes or in a bundle), free shipping, and currently have 10% off most items. I see on their website it shows how to set up the ukulele but doesn't say they do any set up for you. Do you know if they charge extra to set it up?

Thanks for the input!!!

I wouldn't sweat the first uke purchase too much, because the truth is, pretty much no matter what you do, you will want another uke in six months or a year. Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome is the only downside to uking's many upsides.... :)

Oh no, not UAS? I've had TRAS (tennis racquet acquisition syndrome) for the past 30 years and currently have 98 tennis racquets (ranging from 1905 to present) hanging on my walls of a room in my home :cool:

Thanks again to everyone for your input and help! It has been a tremendous help!!!

Can anyone give me some clarification on the Kala models:
What is the difference between the Makala series ( https://www.austinbazaar.com/kala-ka-mk-c-makala-concert-ukulele.html ) and the "15 Series" ( https://www.austinbazaar.com/kala-kaa-15c-satin-mahogany-concert-ukulele-kal-kaa-15c.html )?

DGGuy

Sorry, I must have mis read the bit about guitar, so I would definately recommend starting out with a concert scale, it is what I always recommend, unless they have had other stringed instruments. :)

Re the Kala/Makala, the Makala are a slightly cheaper range, ideal beginner ukes, I started out with them, but I prefered the Kala, it had a slightly better tone to me.

Last edited:
I'm agreeing with the Kala. It doesn't have to be the expensive ones. To my thinking, the Kala is a bit nicer than the Makala, for not much more money. Picks, most ukulele players just strum with their finger. Some like to use a pick, but most don't. You can make it as simple or as complicated as you want. My first year I went around with a Makala concert, a digital tuner, and a hand full of sheet music and got along great. Sometimes I miss those days. I started with a concert size. It is a very popular size. I don't think that you will go wrong with that size.

PS, I picked up the ukulele at age 62. I just turned 68. I'm still having a ball with it.

Last edited:

I have a Kala K-AT very good instrument. Its my high g integument,

I started at age 55 after playing guitar and piano until late teens.

1) Is Kala a brand that offers pretty good quality at a great price? Would any of these be a decent ukulele to begin with?
Any Kala would be good in your price range if set up by the vendors mentioned here. I bought an Overstock.com soprano Kala for $94 that was fine out of the box, but that appears to be unusual.

2) Are there other brands that offer under $70 ukuleles that I should consider? Again, I'm not wanting to spend much more than that. The less I spend, but still get decent quality that's fun to play, the better...any extra I save will allow me to get a little better guitar for my son.
I have been impressed with Enya off Amazon - I bought four of their "wood grain" round soprano HPL ukes ($30 at the time) and they were good out of the box. They have others in your price range - I would get their HPL (high pressure laminate).

3) Does anyone use a pick to play the ukulele? I ask because I have the bad habit of biting my nails extremely short...didn't know if a pick might be easier since I don't have any fingernails or not?
I don't use a pick and never play with long fingernails - mine are trimmed as short as I can make them. I can still fingerpick with catching the strings with nails, and I strum with the pads of my fingers.

4) Is there an online program that you would recommend? My son can't stand his videos but I kinda like the JustinGuitar videos.
People in my ukulele choir uses Cynthia Lin. I used Uncle Rod's Boot Camp and the "easy" songs on the UU site to start.

5) I've got some pretty long fingers (not fat, just long)...would a soprano ukulele be fine to start with? Yes! I started on a concert, but quickly went to soprano size within 2 months and love it. Please don't feel you have to start at a tenor.

6) Is it "safe" to purchase ukuleles online? I ask because the local music shops (ie: within 60 miles) don't have a lot of cheaper offerings. I don't want to order one and then get it just to find out there are things on it that need to be adjusted/fixed and I have no clue what to do.
You might also want to consider used from the Marketplace here or Reverb.com.

7) Is there a relatively cheap but good digital tuner that would work for both the ukulele and the acoustic guitar?
I use the $5 Reverb.com tuner which has multiple instrument settings.

Good Luck!

Why is it that people recommend to newbies who have at one time or another tried to play the guitar, that they would be happier with a tenor? Just asking. It was mentioned in this thread a few times, and I've seen it recommended many times in other threads that are posted by newbies asking advise.

Welcome to the world of ukulele.
I have always been amazed by the quality and value Kala and Ohana brands. I would use HMS, Mim, Uke republic or Elderly. I have many happy dealings with them.
If you have TRAS then you are at extremely high risk of developing UAS. Let this be your warning...

There are many vendors who do good set up and are dependable, Mims Ukulele. Uke Republic, and The Ukulele Site.

I checked out those sites and it seems the only one that has a good selection of ukuleles in my price range (under $80) is Austin Bazaar.

I emailed them through Amazon but thought I might get a quicker response through their website so I used it as well. Within a couple hours I had a very personable response from both places. Christina offered some great advice about sizes of ukuleles and some specific models I asked about.

As far as their set up of ukuleles, she said that they prefer to ensure that all of their new products are indeed brand new so they rely on the manufacturer to set those up at the factory.

Even though I still haven't discovered the difference between the "Kala 15 series" and the "Kala Makala series", I still like the idea of one of those two ukuleles in either the soprano or concert size.

Kala Makala Soprano https://www.austinbazaar.com/kala-ka-mk-s-makala-soprano-uke-bundle-kal-mk-s-combo-std.html
15 Series Soprano https://www.austinbazaar.com/kala-ka-15s-mahogany-soprano-uke-bundle.html

Kala Makala Concert https://www.austinbazaar.com/kala-mka-c-ltd-makala-style-concert-ukulele-bundle-kal-mka-c-combo-std.html
15 Series Concert https://www.austinbazaar.com/kala-kaa-15c-satin-mahogany-concert-ukulele-bundle-kal-kaa-15c-combo-std.html

Again, thank you for all your help and advice!

DGGuy

RLink said:
Why is it that people recommend to newbies who have at one time or another tried to play the guitar, that they would be happier with a tenor? Just asking. It was mentioned in this thread a few times, and I've seen it recommended many times in other threads that are posted by newbies asking advise.

I only recommend concert scale normally, but will suggest looking at a tenor for those who have played guitar because it is larger, but still has the 'uke sound'.
They are familiar with a larger stretch of the left hand fingers, whereas a complete newbie, such as myself originally, can't make the stretch comfortably, but can on a concert, which also allows for a bit more room for the fingers than a soprano. :)

Welcome. I started playing one year ago at age 57. I had zero previous musical experience. I now play with several ukulele groups, and play in my church worship band. The ukulele has opened up a whole new world of music to me & has enriched my life immensely.

Setting your price at $80 is a bit too limiting in my opinion. I would set the bar at $100. This will give you better choices in a quality starter ukulele that has been properly set up. An $80 ukulele straight from the factory via Amazon or Austin Bazaar will not be set up at all. Being brand new does not equal proper set-up. You run a high risk of getting a ukulele with poor action, that will only frustrate you as you try to learn.

Here's the one I'd suggest. Mim will do an excellent set-up & make sure the uke is ready to play. Ohana is a very good brand. https://www.mimsukes.com/listing/mi...inate-mahogany-setup-ukulele-uke-773/13090657

As far as learning to play ...... I started by watching a lot of YouTube videos. There are a lot of easy to follow instructional videos available. I learned a ton in the first 4-6 months just from YouTube. Then I searched my area for community education classes and ukulele groups to play with. I found my new ukulele "family" and now have a strong network of folks I can play with & learn from.

You Tube ....... The Ukulele Teacher, Ten Thumbs, Cynthia Lin, Mike Lynch, Dr. Jill Reese are some to start with.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with the Makala line, but we did buy several Kalas from Austin Bazaar and we were very happy.
Happy enough to return and buy more.
We also bought a number of Enya ukuleles though Amazon and the set up was very good, though they don't make promises.
https://www.amazon.com/KUC20-Concer...9154010&sr=1-10&keywords=enya+concert+ukulele
The only issue with Enyas is the stock strings are bad, really bad. Changing them is more effort than most others but doable.
New ukulele stings are not too pricey, I like Martin M600, my wife likes her Aquilla Nyguts, those are standard-ish choices but there are hundreds of options.

I've also bought two Donner ukuleles from Amazon, but the action was high and I needed to do a little work to lower it.
If you are a little bit handy you can do most of a decent action job yourself with a few simple tools, some time, and a large dose of patience.
A professional action job, i.e. Mims, The Ukulele Site, Uke Republic, is more involved.
You can buy a string gauge for relatively cheap. When you have one you can tell is the string height is acceptable.
If it isn't good you can return them if you buy Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Pixnor-Strin...pID=51Ehcayof9L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

While you will probably not want to do anything but play an instrument right out of the box.
Its still good to have a basic understanding of what makes a decent set up;
http://www.theukulelereview.com/2011/05/07/ukulele-setup/Its
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhzmbCzaoxs

As for size, Concert is the usual recommendation. Not too big, not too small, a real Goldilocks size.
Its my usual choice.
That said, I also enjoy sopranos, tenors, and baritones.

Last edited:
This is a good question, I would have thought that a baritone would be closer to guitar :D

I only recommend concert scale normally, but will suggest looking at a tenor for those who have played guitar because it is larger, but still has the 'uke sound'.
They are familiar with a larger stretch of the left hand fingers, whereas a complete newbie, such as myself originally, can't make the stretch comfortably, but can on a concert, which also allows for a bit more room for the fingers than a soprano. :)

I was just wondering what the reasoning is. When I retired a friend who had also retired was playing guitar and he got me going on that. So my wife already had an old guitar and I started playing it but I couldn't get into it. I only played it for a couple of months before I found the ukulele. Anyway, I started on a concert, and I've just heard people recommend tenors to people who have played guitar, and I don't see the connection is all. In my case I think that if my reasoning had been that I wanted to play something more like a guitar, I would have just kept up with the guitar. I almost went with the soprano to start, but people scared me away from it, so I went with the concert. Just last fall I finally got a soprano. But that is just me, so that is why I asked, to see what others thought.

Last edited:
Top Bottom