Older Man and his 1st Ukulele?

Haven't ordered my ukulele yet, waiting until vacation is over so I will be home to get it off the porch, but I'm really excited to start learning about the ukulele and the chords/fingerings.

Just wondering if the 2nd edition of Ukuleles for Dummies by Alistair Wood is a worthy purchase for an absolute newbie?

Thanks to everyone for your patience with my questions and your helpful advice.

DGGuy

Last edited:
I would save my money and go to Uncle Rob's Ukulele Boot Camp. He has a web page. Uncle Rob is a contributor here on UU and he has started many of us on our journey. Can't go wrong starting there.

Haven't ordered my ukulele yet, waiting until vacation is over so I will be home to get it off the porch, but I'm really excited to start learning about the ukulele and the chords/fingerings.

Just wondering if the 2nd edition of Ukuleles for Dummies by Alistair Wood is a worthy purchase for an absolute newbie?

Thanks to everyone for your patience with my questions and your helpful advice.

DGGuy

I like beginner books and the Dummies series is always good, IMO.
I like the comprehensive approach they use, and the fact that they assume the reader knows nothing.
I bought one used on Ebay for a good price.

That said, with the huge interest in ukuleles and the internet, you probably don't need it.
And I too recommend Uncle Rods Ukulele Boot Camp, but it not super easy for absolute n00bs.

Here's the one I'd suggest. Mim will do an excellent set-up & make sure the uke is ready to play. Ohana is a very good brand. https://www.mimsukes.com/listing/mi...inate-mahogany-setup-ukulele-uke-773/13090657

You Tube ....... The Ukulele Teacher, Ten Thumbs, Cynthia Lin, Mike Lynch, Dr. Jill Reese are some to start with.

I like the looks of that uke and the fact that they set it up perfectly before sending it out...even the cheapest ones. Unfortunately that puts me (with shipping) a bit out of my budget which doesn't leave me enough to purchase my son a quality guitar - plus I'd like to spend as little as possible on this one so I can say to my wife next time, "Well honey, I did purchase a cheap uke last time, this new one would really help my playing!" ;) When I first started this search I wanted to stay under $60...reaching for $105 is a bit tough.

Thanks for the advice on the YouTube sites to check out!

I like beginner books and the Dummies series is always good, IMO.

And I too recommend Uncle Rods Ukulele Boot Camp, but it not super easy for absolute n00bs.

Thanks! I checked out Uncle Rods and was a bit confused by some of it...figured it was just me being a newbie (and it probably is). I'd really like to find something that realizes I know absolutely nothing about the ukulele and treats me like it (that's why I first considered the Dummies book).

DGGuy

After reading through this tread I feel the need to comment on two things:

Recommendation of Tenor Size: I come from playing both guitar (25.5" scale) and mandolin (13-7/8" scale). I always recommend a tenor to a new player. I find they are simply much more comfortable to play than the shorter scales. It doesn't have anything to do with coming from a guitar, or not. So unless there is a really good reason not to, I think that the tenor gives the best chance of success.

None of the ukes on Amazon are properly set up: No, not always true. I have sitting beside me right now an Enya tenor that I paid $48 for. It came perfectly set up at both the nut and saddle. As a matter of fact, it was set up better than my Kamaka that came directly from the factory. This is not to say that there aren't plenty of badly set up ukes on Amazon. But such a blanket statement is off the mark. You just need to know what you are buying.

Recommendation of Tenor Size: I come from playing both guitar (25.5" scale) and mandolin (13-7/8" scale). I always recommend a tenor to a new player. I find they are simply much more comfortable to play than the shorter scales. It doesn't have anything to do with coming from a guitar, or not. So unless there is a really good reason not to, I think that the tenor gives the best chance of success.

None of the ukes on Amazon are properly set up: No, not always true. I have sitting beside me right now an Enya tenor that I paid $48 for. It came perfectly set up at both the nut and saddle. As a matter of fact, it was set up better than my Kamaka that came directly from the factory. This is not to say that there aren't plenty of badly set up ukes on Amazon. But such a blanket statement is off the mark. You just need to know what you are buying.

I greatly appreciate your input!

I guess the reason I was drawn to the Concert size was two fold: 1) it's larger than the Soprano and being 6'2" felt like the Soprano would be a bit too small for me; and 2) it still looks like what I think of when I think of a ukulele.

I was drawn to the ukulele because of it's uniqueness (in look and sound)...I was afraid if I went any larger than a concert it would begin to look like a "small guitar." Which in essence it does look like one but I don't want people to get that perception when I'm playing it.

Thanks for letting me know that it is possible to get a uke set up decently from Amazon! Not sure exactly where I'll end up ordering from yet.

I assume the tuner (is it digital?), gig bag, cd, and cleaning cloth is worth the extra $10 over just the uke itself? https://www.austinbazaar.com/kala-kaa-15t-satin-mahogany-tenor-ukulele-bundle-kal-kaa-15t-combo-std.html (and again, haven't decided where I'm ordering my uke from, just using this link as an example)

In my price range it really seems like it comes down to a few options (I believe all are offered in bundles with case and tuner, even if I just show the individual uke, and all are offered in both concert and tenor):
Kala KAA-15C Satin Mahogany https://www.austinbazaar.com/kala-kaa-15c-satin-mahogany-concert-ukulele-kal-kaa-15c.html
Oscar Schmidt OU Mahogany https://www.austinbazaar.com/oscar-schmidt-ou2-concert-ukulele-9-m-ou2-1.html
Lanikai LU-21C https://www.austinbazaar.com/lanikai-lu-21c-concert-uke-bundle-lan-lu21c-combo-std.html
Luna Honu Mahogany https://www.austinbazaar.com/luna-honu-concert-ukulele-deluxe-bundle-lun-uke-honu-concert-combo-dlx.html

Again, thanks to everyone for your help and advice.

DGGuy

Last edited:
I'm an older guy who is newer to the ukulele. 57 and been playing about 2 years; 6' tall, 195 pounds, so pretty average build, glove size = large.

My first uke was my Lanikai concert. I don't play it much but I still like it.

Second uke was a Magic Fluke concert size Fluke.

Third was a Romero Creations Tiny Tenor, which is a concert size ukulele with a tenor length neck.

For Easter my wife got me an aNueNue Custom Maui Mango III tenor, which is a traditional size/shape tenor.

So I have traditional concert size, a hybrid concert/tenor and a tenor.

From my observations the tenor size may be very slightly easier to play for people with larger hands. There is not much difference in size between a Concert and an Tenor. Literally just a couple inches in overall length. Same can be said between a Soprano and a Concert, just a couple inches different. I picked up my niece's Soprano and it was difficult for me to play. I can switch between my Concert and Tenor size ukes without even noticing the difference in size.

The main difference between the sizes is there is a bit more space between the frets. But that is not the only place where spacing should be considered.

One thing I will point out is that the NECK WIDTH at the NUT can be an issue for people with larger hands. All of mine, regardless of size/brand, have a nut width of 35 to 36mm. This is pretty standard, but on the narrow side of the spectrum. If you have big hands you may want to look for a ukulele that has a nut width of 37 to 38mm, which would be on the wider end of the spectrum. A wider nut give you a little more space between the strings.

Hope my rambling post helps.

In my experience (or IMHO) Amazon or any other mass retailer, with a few exceptions, does not do setups. Local dealers, who also have on-site repair shops usually do, or will if asked. Most builders do also. But action (string height) can be a personal thing, especially with more accomplished players. That can also affect intonation to some degree. Higher action = more tension when fretted = possible intonation effects. Most who do set up an instrument pre-sale set it up the way they think it should be set up, not always the way you (or I) think it should be set up.

If you got one on Amazon that was properly set up, then you got lucky. It fit your specifications. Again, just my opinion.

But "you just need to know what you are buying" is spot on!

If you got one on Amazon that was properly set up, then you got lucky.

Agreed. It happens sometimes.

A local shop will be happy, for a fee, to do a set up on an Amazon/eBay/mail order uke.

However I feel its better to buy from a reputable uke dealer who does a good set up before they hand you your uke or, in the case of HMS, Elderly, MIMs, Uke Republic, etc, before they ship you your new uke.

However I feel its better to buy from a reputable uke dealer who does a good set up before they hand you your uke or, in the case of HMS, Elderly, MIMs, Uke Republic, etc, before they ship you your new uke.

Totally agree...unfortunately with my current budget (under $80 shipped), these sites don't offer me many, if any, ukes to choose from.

That being said, I look forward to learning on whichever cheaper uke I buy and then purchasing a nice one from sites like these in the future!!!

DGGuy

I just want to clarify what I said in an earlier post regarding ukes from Amazon. I'm not implying that Amazon does any kind of set up. But that does not mean that you can't get some of the ukes available on Amazon that are properly set up from the factory. The reason I posted is that a blanket statement that all ukes from Amazon need a set up tends to push my buttons. Sure, there is plenty of trash there too, but if you go in with some knowledge you can come out OK.

I have two Enyas, both of which were properly set up when they arrived. To be specific, 2.5mm at the 12th fret, just a bit of neck relief, and just a hair clearance at the 1st fret when the sting is held down at the 3rd. While this doesn't guarantee that every Enya will come this way, I have also seen other posts here about this brand that confirm my experience.

Here is the specific model https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W5P116P/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I'm referring to. Solid mahogany top with lam back and sides. The price has gone up, but it's still a good deal in my opinion. Besides, if you wait a bit the price will probably go down again. With a decent set of new strings I think it would meet the OP's needs. The gig bag alone is worth half the current price of the uke.

I realize that I am jumping in late on this thread HOWEVER I want to throw in my 2 cents worth having started Ukulele when 72, but I have been playing guitar since I was 12 and banjo since 22.

1 find a group to play with - otherwise the discouragement will get to you.

2 Just buy a Kala/Makala or a Cordoba and start. Soprano can be daunting as it is small-ish for adult fingers which just still learn properly how to fret. Concert or tenor are good to begin with. I taught a beginner group (retirees) for about 6 months at my church and they all preferred tenor or concert. I agree re Mim or HMS as a good set up will make a big difference. However I have seen many off the shelf instruments that will work fine, especially the ones aforementioned. I buy usually from Amazon or Reverb, I have bought used instruments via UU and always been well pleased.

3 I prefer the small Fishman FT-2 clip on tuner.

4 Get a good set of strings as sometimes these come with fishing line strings and a decent set will make a difference. My preferred strings are Living Waters or Worth. They are more expensive but seem to last a lifetime.

5 Just learn C, Am, F, G7 and you will be able to accompany 90% of the songs out there - maybe not some contemporary ones! I like the old ones that have real tunes.

6 Enjoy

Welcome to UU, and our disorder. You've been bitten, no doubt. And to try to save money on your 1st uke so you can get your son a better guitar certainly is admirable!

The 1st uke you buy will be the most important one. It will make you or break you. After that, the 2nd uke you buy will be the most important one.

You probably can't go wrong with a Makala, it is a Kala brand. I have an 8 year old Kala, and I still love it.

As far as setup, it's important too. Having sharp fret ends is no fun. And who you buy it from is just as important as which uke....I swear by Mim.

And felt picks....they fall apart. Try a leather pick, much nicer, lasts longer, better tone.

And as far as size....the only question I have is "Does this ukulele make me look fat?"

Happy hunting, and happy strummin. And don't forget to show us which one you bought.

Last edited:
I'll probably repeat everything that has already been said:

1) Is Kala a brand that offers pretty good quality at a great price? Would any of these be a decent ukulele to begin with?

Only if you get it from a vendor that includes set up or you are able to fix possible setup issues yourself. It can be really off-putting to buy a cheap ukulele and then bump into playability and sound issues. With cheap ukuleles the saying "buying cheap means buying twice" frequently holds true.

2) Are there other brands that offer under $70 ukuleles that I should consider? Again, I'm not wanting to spend much more than that. The less I spend, but still get decent quality that's fun to play, the better...any extra I save will allow me to get a little better guitar for my son.

I wouldn't buy a ukulele for $70. This is always a difficult topic, because it sounds kind of snobbish, but with musical instruments you get what you pay, and $70 is just not enough to get something that will give you a good experience. If money's tight, I'd wait another month or two and get something *used* for $150. It's advice I should have followed more often, but buying used is really smart because you can often get most of what you have spent back if you sell it. If you buy new and then sell it later, you can easily lose 40% or more of what you paid.

3) Does anyone use a pick to play the ukulele? I ask because I have the bad habit of biting my nails extremely short...didn't know if a pick might be easier since I don't have any fingernails or not?

Some people do, and I actually like the sound of it on smaller ukuleles when playing higher up on the neck (much better sustain and clarity with a pick). It's a different technique, though, and most ukulele players don't use picks at all. (I never liked the rubber or felt picks; regular guitar picks sound better to me.) Some people play without nails, but it sounds pretty dull and lifeless to me. Good opportunity to stop biting your nails on your picking hand!

4) Is there an online program that you would recommend? My son can't stand his videos but I kinda like the JustinGuitar videos.

Free ones? Nothing that's really comprehensive, but there are various beginner series. JustinGuitar has one for ukuleles, too.

5) I've got some pretty long fingers (not fat, just long)...would a soprano ukulele be fine to start with?

The one that appeals to you is the right size. I spent a lot of time on fretting over the right size for me, I bought sopranos, long neck sopranos, concerts, tenors, baritones -- going in circles a lot, went in circles, watched my preferences change repeatedly, coming full circle than taking another turn. Now I'm at a point where I feel it doesn't really matter. Getting started with a new instrument is always hard, and while size does matter to a degree, it's not the sole decisive factor of whether you'll stick with it: determination and enthusiasm and discipline all matter more. Personally, I'm back to baritone size (still have at least one uke of the other three major sizes), but nobody can tell you what's best for you, only what works for them. I prefer baritones and sopranos now, but I have not always had that view. If you don't know at all, I'd go with a concert sized ukulele.

6) Is it "safe" to purchase ukuleles online? I ask because the local music shops (ie: within 60 miles) don't have a lot of cheaper offerings. I don't want to order one and then get it just to find out there are things on it that need to be adjusted/fixed and I have no clue what to do.

Local stores probably won't fix anything that needs to get adjusted either, unless you pay extra for it. With a cheap ukulele, that's likely to be the case (intonation, etc). Like I said, I'd not buy a ukulele for $70, but would double the budget and then look for a *used* one (so you get a ~$250 instrument).

7) Is there a relatively cheap but good digital tuner that would work for both the ukulele and the acoustic guitar?

All cheap digital tuners are pretty much the same thing and usually work for both guitar and ukulele. It's hit or miss. I have identical tuners from the same maker and some work better than others. Most are fine, though, it's pretty simple technology.

8) What other information or advice do you feel like I need and/or should know?

Don't buy a new uke for $70. :p

At the risk of being yelled at, I's suggest that you look at the Caramel line (see them on Amazon/E-Bay). They have a number of Ukuleles in your price range and they do a good job of set up, mostly. They make a series of Zebra wood ukuleles (the X-100's). For a concert the CC-100 or for a tenor the CT-100 are very nice uku's (~$55-65). The Baritones are very nice too and under $100. If you have a local shop that does setups you can get a custom setup for very little as Caramel does a good job mostly.

I would buy from Mim. She does set ups even on her cheapest ukes and her setups are great. I just wish she carried more brands! You won’t regret it.

Aloha!
Old man here, too...
I just received my Kamaka Tenor Lefty in last week, took my first lesson in 40 years tonight. Time to practice...practice....practice

Kamaka Uke 2018.jpg

I would buy from Mim. She does set ups even on her cheapest ukes and her setups are great. I just wish she carried more brands! You won’t regret it.

ahoy
agree my best cheap uke is from Mim
what size, to each his own, what works for me or the next guy may not work for you
tried concert and tenor size no joy, became a soprano player

dit dit mac

Thinking of just purchasing this one until I can decide exactly what I want. Would it be a horrible one to start learning on for the money?

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/mitchell-mu40-soprano-ukulele/j22072000001000

Thanks for all the help and input!

DGG

I have no experience with that particular ukulele or that particular seller, but everything in my body is screaming out "don't go anywhere near it."

If you're looking for a cheap soprano, why not get something like this - https://www.mimsukes.com/listing/mi...gry-shark-fin-gray-setup-ukulele-857/13394956

It's from a fairly reputable brand, but more importantly, it's from a very reputable seller that does setups. Especially when you are first learning, comfort when fretting is incredibly important, and you get that by having a setup done.

Top Bottom