Blackbird Farallon Tenor Ukulele - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Stunning in its simple looks and its complex ability to defy all convention and yield such wonderful tones. Thanks for the review. I still covet an aNueNue Moon Bird, but there is a growing spot in my heart for Blackbird.

It truly is amazing, and watching you play it stands out a mile how much you enjoy it, maybe we should count the Baz grins whilst playing, the higher the number the higher the uke rating LOL.
Cheers mate, splendid review, if I ever got lucky enough to buy one of these I doubt the rest of my ukes would get any play time.

There's a thought Dan - would save me lots of time in typing the article up!!

If anyone has a used one to sell, please let me know!
Ron

If anyone has a used one to sell, please let me know!
Ron

If you are really interested in buying a used one put a "WTB Farallon" post in the Marketplace. That is the best place to announce it as everyone goes there to buy and sell.

Nice review Barry! Try a Farallon with a side sound port. It should move the sound rating from 9.5 to 10. ;)

I second that!
A Clara arrived at my friend’s house , waiting for me to bring her home from San Diego. I can hardly wait ! Now my collection of blackbird is completed.

Nice review Barry! Try a Farallon with a side sound port. It should move the sound rating from 9.5 to 10. ;)

Personally - not actually much of a fan of side sound holes. Whilst I am not against them, I never find they massively change the way I think about an instruments sound to be honest.

Barry,

Loved your comment about the instrument not needing "bling". People now seem to be ordering these with rosettes and sunburst finishes, but I love the simple elegance of the original. Had mine for a bit over a year and still love it.

Quite - I know Blackbird offer a range of stuff (suppose they have to cater for a market), but I see no need with any uke myself - certainly not this one. I mean - it's hardly like it's not going to get you noticed is it? I mean - just look at it!!

I need to stop reading your reviews, I have too many ukes as it is. But thanks for fueling the fire.

I had a Clara for a while-- love the tone, hated the shape (mostly the too-round back). I played my first Farallon at Gryphon Strings at Palo Alto and was bowled over-- what a tone! Refused to buy it, because, you know, too many ukes already. Got home a few days later, called Gryphon and had them send it to me. Too good to leave behind.

Personally - not actually much of a fan of side sound holes. Whilst I am not against them, I never find they massively change the way I think about an instruments sound to be honest.

Barry, to many people's ears, it helps balance the tone on the Farallon.

Proud owner of a blinged out Farallon with sound port.

I'm not against them Eddie - if people want them, that's cool. They just don't do anything for my ears.

Agree - both my Clara and Farallon are the original styles although I have gone for the side sound port with Farallon :)

I’ve read that side sound port mostly helps those playing in low g. I’m high g so wonder if same applies. I think Blackbird told me that. Also, know of one member who got a string thru bridge but don’t see it listed on site. Nice review and video Baz, thanks. I see myself moving a bunch of tenors to think the hear, keeping my custom wood and getting a Farallon. All the sound sample on the Farallon sound great. Lifetime Uke.....I’d say the money is worth it.

Top Bottom