Season 331. It's Folk Jim but not as we know it!

Brilliant theme. I will probably do some old Beck folk songs (does alternative folk classify as a subgenre of contemporary folk?)

I figured there will be a fair amount of Tom Paxton songs this week, but I've loved this song for a long time, and have been wanting to try it, so this is the perfect week. I had a hard time getting a good take though. I changed keys for vocal reasons a few times, which wrecked havoc with the picking I wanted to do. I ended up in C, which is not an easy key for me to pick in for some odd reason, but I tried.

Brilliant theme. I will probably do some old Beck folk songs (does alternative folk classify as a subgenre of contemporary folk?)

Qué onda, Guero?!?!

I've first played this tune in Tom Paxton week, I have heard the original music afterwards. But this really is my take on it, having only chords at the time. So here is my take on You're so Beautiful.

This one has always been a favorite of mine. A quick listen will probably show you that I'm more influenced by the Peter, Paul & Mary version than any of the others.

I had some technical problems, so there's no video, only audio. I stuck in a screen shot from a discarded take to show that I was wearing a nice shirt for a change.

I had never realized, until I tried to play it, that this song changes keys every couple of lines. I pitched it for my voice, so this one starts in F, then goes to Bb, then goes to Eb for the chorus, and then back to F to start the next stanza. Fortunately, the Eb part uses only two chords. Three-part harmony here and there.

OK I've created a playlist and have added all the videos up to here. Some great stuff for starters.

Here's a recommendation for someone. Classic Fairport with Sandy Denny singing her fabulous "Who knows where the time goes". Electric Folk at its best.

OK I've created a playlist and have added all the videos up to here. Some great stuff for starters.

Here's a recommendation for someone. Classic Fairport with Sandy Denny singing her fabulous "Who knows where the time goes". Electric Folk at its best.

Thank you posting this, Geoff. Such a great song. I first discovered it via an ethereal Judy Collins' recording, but I love how Sandy sings it, as well.

Evening all! So this is a genre that I’m not overly familiar with - I hope this Joni Mitchell song fits the bill. It’s a beautiful song that really came to my attention when Paul Young covered it with Clannad in the early 90s. I’ve since discovered that many artists have covered it over the years. Here’s my effort:

Just as an afterthought - I struggled to find a key that I was comfortable to both play and sing in - hence the capo on the fifth fret. As I’m relatively new to stringed instruments I’m interested to know if it’s unusual to play with it quite so far up as this? If anyone could enlighten me I’d be very much obliged. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
I think John Prine certainly qualifies as a contemporary folk artist, and this is an early one of his. Love this song, in fact I was singing it was I was working last week, so I guess it was fate that I try it for this week.

My last one for this week, as I said before I love the Humans album by Bruce Cockburn, this is also on it, and is call Tokyo.

Hey Seasonitas,
It's been a while since I posted. Today is Fathers Day in the USA and I always feel down because both my parents passed away at a young age, but I like to think they are happier together on the other side. I hope you enjoy my version of "I Know Love is All I Need" by Rodney Crowell. Hope you enjoy!

Here's one from the Seekers, and Australian folk-pop group from the 1960s.

The Beatles certainly were not a Folk band, but John Lennon admitted, that You've got to hide your Love away was inspired by Bob Dylan.
Thanks to my friend Thomas, who sang this song for me, so I could concentrate on strumming my uke and blowing the thin whistle:

Sorry to be a pain, but can I also gauge people's opinions on whether sea shanties count as folk music. One of my favourite songs is by a modern group, but done in the style of a sea shanty...

Top Bottom