Season 331. It's Folk Jim but not as we know it!

Tomorrow, June 21st is the Summer Solstice so as an extra bring us a song about the Solstice.

I see Ylle (kolibri) has already brought us one from Finland so she's obviously anticipated this :)

Here's a song from me. Cyril Tawney joined the Royal Navy in his teens and served as a submariner. He started writing songs while in the Navy as well as developing a love of traditional folk music. This song is based in Malta where he was stationed and uses sea shanty call and response format. The refrain after each line is based on the means sailors used to get back to their ships after time ashore. The Navy provided liberty boats to take them back and these were free but if you missed the last one you hired a daighsoe (pron. die-so) which was a bit like a gondola and acted as water taxi round Valletta Harbour. The song itself uses incidents from his time in Malta but the story itself, especially the climax is fiction. Here is Sammy's Bar or The Last Boat is Leaving.

Cyril Tawney wrote a number of fine songs. Here's another of his, "Grey Funnel Line" Sung by Maddy Prior and June Tabor. I first heard the term "Grey Funnel Line" from my brother who was a merchant seaman. It's the term used by British merchant seamen to refer to the Royal Navy (based on the distinctive colours and logos on the funnels of merchant shipping companies)

Ahoy good people.
Here is my second entry this week. This is from the album 'Odelay' by Beck (produced by the Dust Brothers). I am a huge Beck fan and I often see him placed in the folk genre (alternative folk and anti-folk) - I mostly like to play his older songs that are acoustic and much more folky but this one just sounds so good on the uke (in my ears, at least)
Here is the song Jack-Ass (or Burro, if you listen to the spanish version that Beck also made)

Finally caught up to here. I think I've got everyone on the playlist. We have 55 songs to date so keep them coming

I'm really enjoying this season. You are bringing me some fabulous songs in a variety of styles. Some I'm familiar with and some are new to me. It's all good. I've had a few originals but would love to hear some more. Keep them coming. I'm thinking of opening up soon but don't forget there's the solstice challenge for you to bring another song.

Hello Geoff, sorry to be a pain but I've accidently deleted my original post on YT. I've uploaded again and added the new link on my original post here (page 8). Can you add it the playlist please, no need to comment again. Thanks.

Hello Geoff, sorry to be a pain but I've accidently deleted my original post on YT. I've uploaded again and added the new link on my original post here (page 8). Can you add it the playlist please, no need to comment again. Thanks.

No worries, it happens. I've added your new upload to the playlist. I'll clean the playlist up in the morning.

For my bonus Solstice song I did a quick work up of this Roger Miller classic. I've been wanting to try this one anyhow, and I took the sopranino challenge on it.

The song I am playing here is called Star, by Australian indie folk music duo Luluc, who are currently based in Brooklyn, New York.
I am dedicating this song to my ex art student Gillian Rubiyanto, who passed away sometime ago, but I only found out last week.
My heart broke when I heard about it. She will always be a shining light in my heart.

Thanks for hosting this week, Geoff!

Another Guthrie song. Well, poem really. Put to music by Martin Hoffman, and covered by just about everybody from Pete Seeger to The Boss (including this season’s wonderful host, back in season 166).

I've posted Graeme Miles songs before. He's worth checking out. There are quite a few recordings of his songs on You Tube. I've just recorded this one as it's set at the time of the solstice. An invocation of village England, though he doubtless had N. Yorkshire in mind when he wrote it in 1964.

I'll catch up with recent entries later today.

Ahoy
Here is my 3rd (and final, I guess) video of the week.
This is an Icelandic song calles "Söngurinn hennar Siggu" or "Sigga's song" (Sigga is a female name) - I think that the melody is originally written by J.J. Cale... anyway, the lyrics are written by an Icelandic artist called Bubbi Morthens.
I subtitled the song but I accidentally exported the file in 360p so the footage is a bit grainy.
Enjoy this nice little fingerpicked song.

So - my second this week is a song by Irish folk singer Christy Moore. My brother has been raving about this one for a while and keeps asking me to have a go at it - so this season has presented the ideal opportunity. It’s one of those simple songs that grabs you after a couple of listens and then stays in your head forever. Its called Bee’s Wing and sounds much better with Christy’s wonderful Irish accent than my plain English drone! Hope you enjoy it anyway!

Did this collaboration with my brother Jon for season #331. It's our take on a Bruce Cockburn song called Pacing the Cage! Great theme Geoff, thanks for hosting this week ~

Did this collaboration with Linda L for season #331 with no planning whatsoever. I recorded bare bones take of song I had just learned and sent it to her and asked if she wanted to add something. She agreed and here is the result. It's a Dave Loggins song called Please Come to Boston. Thanks Linda! And thanks to Geoff for hosting this fine theme ~

Top Bottom