Season 331. It's Folk Jim but not as we know it!

Craigrie Bing (A Jim Horne song)

The poorest folks get the dirtiest jobs, and the poorest of the poor
go to the coal bings to hunt for scraps of coal for their fires.
We might be poor but we can sing and dance and have salt
and vinegar on our fish and chips. A Jim Horne song

Code:
[FONT=courier new][/FONT][FONT=courier new]G                                            C
the old town clock wi its clattering doos ( pigeons )
G                     D              G
old bit o` stone wi four roads to choose
G                                     C
playin kick the can doon Zetland street
G                           D                 G
Geoff Duke and Stirling Moss roond the summer seat

C                      G  
Craigrie bing, Craigrie bing
D          D7                 G 
Riddlin coal at the Craigrie bing

Neil Grasso`s dochter she`s a beautiful girl
no man here will git tae gie her a birl
glass o` irn Bru an a plate o` chips
standing at the town hall lickin yer lips
 chorus

cooperative castle cakes on display
young women running doon Paton`s mill brae
Rorrisons corner Jean Forsyth`s
Telephone box best days of my life
chorus

shilling in the juke box see the records spin
mini skirted women see the hips swing
discotheque in the lesser hall
young lassies listen to your mothers call
chorus

Jenny prentice field fu` o` neeps
thro the dark night see the guisers creep
doon the cattle market tae the Riccarton
fell in the devon ran hame again

Craigrie bing,
Craigrie bing
Riddlin coal at the Craigrie bing[/FONT]

Last edited:
Way back in Season 167 (Waltzes) this Richard Thompson song was my Seasons debut. So it must be time to do it again.

beautiful and sad Dirk Powell song
that Kevin and I worked on these past couple of days.
thanks again Geoff. we hope you enjoy it all.

Hello everybody.
This is an Icelandic folk by a man called Megas and he is kind og the Bob Dylan of Iceland.
The song is called "Come and look inside my coffin". This song is a parody/reimagination of another Icelandic folk song called "Come and look inside my chest"
The 'joke' is that the words "chest" and "coffin" are both "kista" in Icelandic.
Anyway - I added subtitles, like usually, and I hope you enjoy this tune.

Hi, Geoff! Thanks for a great theme ... I love contemporary folk! This is a song by probably my favourite artist in that category, Tom Paxton, but an early one which I hadn't heard before. (Apologies for the slightly (!) dodgy picking - I got a bit overenthusiastic weeding the potatoes at the weekend and my hand keeps cramping!)

When I think British Isles contemporary folk, I go right to middle-period Jethro Tull! Here's a little tune about a mythic creature of the woodlands.

I have put hours into this, and still a work in progress, but one I reckon I could pull the trigger on.

I've got to the bottom of page 6 (Aunty Uku's super version of Wild World) but I'm going to have to give it a rest for now.

For some reason I've not noticed it before but the variety of styles of accompaniment is amazing. There's everything from basic strumming (like me) to really quite complex picking. There's some really fine players among the Seasonistas and I really appreciate all your efforts. Looking forward to catching up tomorrow.

I think I have everyone I have listened to so far on the playlist. If you've been missed off, PM me and I'll put it right.

Something about the songs Pa posted, and a comment by Big Daddy brought to my mind this song by the Pogues.

I haven't had a chance to listen to anything yet but I do know following Yukio is a bad idea!

Dave Alvin and Tom Russell have written some fine songs together. This one's from Alvin's great "Ashgrove" disc. Poignant story. Hope I did it some justice.

331-3

I've heard this song a lot and I guess I've never listened close to the words. I now dig this song a lot.

Tough acts to follow... Words by Guthrie, music by Billy Bragg and Wilco. Thanks for hosting Geoff.

The Pozo-Seco Singers were a two-man, one-woman folk trio from Corpus Christi, Texas. They first became quite popular in south Texas and later went national. This was their breakthrough hit.

One of the men of the group, Don Williams, went on to become a country music superstar. The woman, Susan Taylor, had great success as a songwriter using the name Taylor Pie. The other man, Lofton Kline, left the group midway through their career. He had a solo career as a country singer but apparently didn't have all that much success. His replacement, Ron Shaw, later went on to form The Hillside Singers with his brother and they recorded "I'd Like To Teach the World To Sing."

"Pozo-Seco" is an oilfield term adapted from Spanish, meaning "dry well."

Not sure whether this is folk or not, I wrote it this morning after looking through some old photographs.

Last edited:
A song about Midsummer Day: "Jaanipäev" (1979) by Vello Toomemets and Hando Runnel in Estonian. The lyrics mention traditional Midsummer pyres and the belief that the bracken blooms at Midsummer night.

Top Bottom