Season 331. It's Folk Jim but not as we know it!

Tootler

Reaction score
This weeks theme is Contemporary Folk

Contemporary Folk
Contemporary folk music refers to a variety of music that emerged in the mid 20th century and was associated with traditional folk music. In the 1950s there was a revival of interest in traditional folk music on both sides of the Atlantic and this period is often referred to "the folk revival". Many of the performers of traditional music started writing their own songs and performing them alongside traditional material. This music enjoyed a period of major popularity in the early 1960s and the mix of traditional and new became collectively referred to as folk music.

The key features of contemporary folk are:
* It's typically but not exclusively acoustic in style
* The songs are modern but are rooted in the traditional musics of the British Isles and North America.

Contemporary Folk artists include; Tom Paxton, Judy Collins, Ralph McTell, Donovan, Ewan MacColl, Richard Thompson, Bob Dylan, Bert Jansch, Paul Simon... etc., etc.,

So; for this week record a song written by a contemporary folk artist. The list above is by no means exclusive. You decide if it fits the genre or not I will accept your judgement on this.
This week's theme is ideal for the songwriters among you as if you produce an original for this week, it must be contemporary folk.

The usual rules and guidelines apply

* The recording must be new and made for this week
* Ukulele must be a prominent feature though other instruments may also feature.
* State verbally or in writing your video is for Season 331
* Instrumentals are welcome as is multi tracking
* Start and finsh times as usual, 8 days starting midnight Hawaii on Sunday morning and ending Midnight Hawaii the following Saturday night
* 3 Song limit initially but I may relax that later.
* Most importantly, this is about fun so enjoy yourselves.

Here's a Wikipedia Article about contemporary folk

Playlist

Last edited:
And now off to bed as it's 1.00 am. The gig went well, btw. Playing for dancing for a 60th Birthday. We had some good feedback.

So for it to be "contemporary", the practitioner has to have been performing for at least 50 years?

So for it to be "contemporary", the practitioner has to have been performing for at least 50 years?

Actually, the Wiki page includes Mumford and Sons, so groups like The Avett Brothers, The Duhks, Old Crow Medicine Show, and Mandolin Orange certainly would count.

And Geoff, I love this theme!

Actually, the Wiki page includes Mumford and Sons, so groups like The Avett Brothers, The Duhks, Old Crow Medicine Show, and Mandolin Orange certainly would count.

And Geoff, I love this theme!

There's a whole generation of folks like Bright Eyes, Sufjan Stevens, etc. doing folk that seem more contemporary. Not that I'm ever averse to playing Richard Thompson songs.

There's a whole generation of folks like Bright Eyes, Sufjan Stevens, etc. doing folk that seem more contemporary. Not that I'm ever averse to playing Richard Thompson songs.

Ooooh. Good idea with Sufjan Stevens...

Apologies for the intro video. I had it set to private. Not very with it at one in the morning. Should be OK now.

So...this is kinda of a very wide topic if we look at contemporary folk from the fifties until now...do you want us to stay early (like pre- 1970) or can we go hog wild and play folk punk for ya?

He is sometimes referred to as the Aussie Bob Dylan so I'd say yes. He does do other genres too though.

Yeah. That's why I was confused. Some of his stuff wouldn't count, but other stuff seems like it would fit the brief. The same could be said of Dylan and Paul Simon, too, though.

So...this is kinda of a very wide topic if we look at contemporary folk from the fifties until now...do you want us to stay early (like pre- 1970) or can we go hog wild and play folk punk for ya?

According to the wikipedia article...

Other subgenres of folk include anti folk, folk punk (e.g., the Irish band the Pogues in the 1980s), indie folk, folktronica, freak folk and Americana and fusion genres such as folk metal, progressive folk, psychedelic folk, and neofolk.

Early Sunday night in Oz.Here's an original on the baritone in open G... DGBD. But it's folky not bluesy.Thanks Geoff for what will be a super theme.And thanks Val for her wonderful curation of 330.
This is called "Meet John Doe"

lyrics

Flows like mud
swells in pride
Tells you stories
Blows dust in your eyes
Meet John Doe
at the waters edge
Face down dreaming
in a whiskey bed
From where he came
devil knows
A washed up fish
in a shipwreck’s clothes

Vasco da Gama
bent out of shape
Riding the bow wave
to the hangover cape

Flows like mud creeps in shade
Perfumes the grass where Rosalie lay
Meet John Doe a working jack
Stole some magic now
the magic’s turning black
Is he still breathing? doctor knows
Got a bad case of the talking crows

Vasco da Gama
tied to the main
Rosalie haunts him
again and again

Flows like mud swells in pride
Ties your hands when drowning girls cry
Meet John Doe at the river’s side
Face down dreaming on a downhill slide
From where he came devil knows
Rosalie’s king has lost his clothes

It’s a one sided rainbow,a three sided ace
Ran out of magic rounding the cape

I've also gone with an original inspired by maritime folk. Instrumental at the moment I've titled The Harbour Shore.

baritone ukulele and tenor recorder

Originally by Gus Cannon in 1927 but was a hit for the Rooftop singers. It may be my ears but in the original Gus Cannon version you can also hear Robert Johnson's Hot Tamales... can you hear it? Listen here WALK RIGHT IN
Going for the bare double knee bonus!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom