Season 331. It's Folk Jim but not as we know it!

Wasn't going to do a third but its such a sunny winter morning in Sydney that I felt like singing.This version is more Nashville Skyline than Freewheelin. An old Bob Dylan song with maybe an even older borrowed Irish melody. Cheers.Sorry for the bed hair!

A great many folk songs discuss labor, unions, and working peoples' issues. Here's one written by longshoreman Harry Stamper shortly after OSHA was enacted in 1970. Additional lyrics by Anne Feeney.

In a strange twist- I find that the Kingston Trio is from my hometown...or at least where I went to High School.
Hmm.

here is an original, with some cartoons.

Hey guys - don’t mean to be a pedant (it just comes naturally!) - but it’s still season 331, not 332.... yet! Cheers!:)

A little Bob Dylan...

My third and final for the week, Just me and the ukulele.........

Last edited:
Have you watched the play "The Stag, the Cheviot, and the black black oil" your song would fit right in.

I saw the original production many years ago (along with the original "Brassed Off" too). I was a massive fan of 7:84 (today they'd have to be called 1:99 :( )

Cheers,

Berni

Here is my third and final for this week.

In my old folk-singer days I was particularly known for my sea songs. These would tell of shipwrecks, of sea battles, of survival against the odds, of the changes in the seafaring trade itself, etc. But this one is about those left behind. The lonely woman on the sea shore who refuses to accept that her Jolly Jack Tar will never return to her.

I used to sing this unaccompanied, but today I finally figured out what the chords to the melody would be and worked out this arrangement... So, here for your delectation is:

Lots of nice contributions here!
I love Peter, Paul and Mary, but detected them late (said: since playing uke and watching YT). One of my fav's is this one, so on a warm, nice, atlantical eve you hear some Early Morning Rain. All devices with me are recording poor sound, so I tried to pimp with Audacity.

Caught up to here. There's 93 songs on the playlist but that's only really 92 if you exclude the intro video. Just eight more to make it 100!

Once again, I've really enjoyed listening to your songs. There's a great variety and the standard is uniformly high. It's amazing to think that my first hosting I got, I think 30 songs now we're regularly getting 100.

If I've missed you off the playlist please PM me and let me know.

One songwriter I'd hoped we might get an entry from someone was Stan Rogers. Here's his song "The White Squall". Look him up on You Tube, he's written some great songs.

To help us get to 100, somewhat belatedly, I'm abandoning the song limit. If you have an extra song to bring, bring it. We still have 18 hours of this season left

I took a look at the theme for the next season. It looks too daunting for me, so I ran down to the train station and shot this as a late entry for modern folk. It is a song by the Bob Dylan of North America, Bob Dylan.

As in the US, and influenced by Pete Seeger, Joan Baez, Woodie Guthrie, PP&M and all others, especially during the 1960's and 70's, also here singer songwriters and bands revitalized the tradition of folk songs. In the 70's Hannes Wader and others made the following song popular again.

It's from the 1850's, 200 yrs after the 30-years-war, when still a dozen of ducals in the German speaking regions exist, and a lot of bourgeois wanted a unified German republic instead of principalities. Also very convenient to the ideals of the 1960s/1970s with flower power, against Vietnam war a.s.o.

Poor vid quality, but I hope the translation gives an idea:

Last edited:
Top Bottom