Season 331. It's Folk Jim but not as we know it!

This is the first song I thought of when Geoff announced the theme. It began as a campaign song and was popularized by the Kingston Trio.

Sorry to be a pain, but can I also gauge people's opinions on whether sea shanties count as folk music. One of my favourite songs is by a modern group, but done in the style of a sea shanty...

Sea shanties absolutely do count as folk music and there's a few people who have written songs based on the format. It's likely that the call and response format came from African slaves in the Carribean and Southern USA, though a similar format can be found in the "waulking" songs of the Hebridean Islands of Western Scotland.

thank you for hosting the week, Geoff.
a Richard Buckner song from his 2004 Dents & Shells LP.

Sea shanties absolutely do count as folk music and there's a few people who have written songs based on the format. It's likely that the call and response format came from African slaves in the Carribean and Southern USA, though a similar format can be found in the "waulking" songs of the Hebridean Islands of Western Scotland.

Great! I have a song then. Now I just have to find time to record it. Hopefully I can get Tiffany to provide harmonies because it will sound so much better that way.

Where is my Gypsy wife tonight

Rainbows, Doves, Salome dancing with John's head, the eternal
fight between the carnal and the spiritual mind. Typical biblical stuff
from old Len.

I thought I'd post the complete recording of Colours as I faded it out before the end in the intro vid otherwise, I felt it would be too long otherwise.

Season 331. "Till The Morning Comes" (Collaboration Elisa and Turtledrum) (Written and recorded by Neil Young, 1970)

vocal, guitar - Elisa

vocal, uke solo - Turtledrum

Elisa is a wonderful guitar player/vocalist I've met on the Tube. A link to her channel is in the info section of my vid.

It's a song of just over 1 minute, but one I've always loved. And for me, Neil Young was very much a part of that New Folk scene in the 60s and 70s.

Randy and I had a plate o’ shrimp this week! I’m writing a song about the MPR Raccoon that I should be posting tomorrow, and I figured the Kingston Trio could show me how it’s done.

Jackson C. Frank has to be included this week. All these TV talent shows seem to love a sad back story.Jackson's really was a sad one. Great writer and singer while he was with us.

Another just learned (by me) Gorka song, this one a humorous ballad about getting older. In it, he mentions scrapple, the "pork-based breakfast food" popular in Pennsylvania. In one of his shows, he describes it as "kinda like Spam, but without the health benefits". :D Then, for the foodies among us, he also mentions the Spam Museum in MN; what a summer vacation destination, huh? The workers there call themselves Spambassadors. http://www.spam.com/museum

OK, here's another rather folksy song by a British beat band: Ruby Tuesday by the Rolling Stones.
This week, my friend Thomas doesn't have any time to sing for me, so I had to rely on my trusty mandolin.

For my third song I wanted to try something brand new, so I googled "Folk songs 2018", and this was on the list by longtime Bluegrass and folk veteran Peter Rowan. It was released in April of this year. It leans more towards Bluegrass, but I hope it's folky enough for you Geoff. I like this song. I was going to do it as instrumental, but then decided to sing it too. I attempted to switch and play some "Finnish Ukulele" at the end, but my mandolin strap didn't cooperate, so I had to improvise some vocals till I got it situated, then I didn't play it that well, but I kept the take anyhow. Heh....

Top Bottom