A "sad" father on Father's Day

Jo3x

Reaction score
I can sing, I can play, and both are just fine, not perfect, but better than noises. At least I enjoy pretty much :). Both my wife and my son (who is 1.5 years old) won't throw eggs to me. However, whenever I start playing and singing at the same time, my son would come to me, put his little hands onto my month, take my uke away, and continue playing his toy trucks like nothing happened.

Dang, that's cold! :( :p

Everybody’s a critic...

Scooter

Well, at least he's not throwing eggs...:smileybounce:

Try singing and playing while he's eating. maybe he'll associate the good feelings he gets from eating with the sound of your voice and ukulele.

Try singing and playing while he's eating. maybe he'll associate the good feelings he gets from eating with the sound of your voice and ukulele.

Yes, I now often play to him when he is taking a shower or my wife is breast feeding him.

I can sing, I can play, and both are just fine, not perfect, but better than noises. At least I enjoy pretty much :). Both my wife and my son (who is 1.5 years old) won't throw eggs to me. However, whenever I start playing and singing at the same time, my son would come to me, put his little hands onto my month, take my uke away, and continue playing his toy trucks like nothing happened.

Does he like ANY music?

If so, maybe learn and play those songs for him.

Otherwise if he does not like music at all, then maybe it actually hurts his ears. Could be a medical issue, and if so maybe it's worth getting his hearing checked.

years back I was sitting out on the back deck of a house we used to own with a huge open back yard which bordered on two other huge open back yards. I was playing my ukulele and singing along when I noticed several turkey vultures circling over head, within 10 minutes or so, they began to land in the yard about 30 feet away from me...clearly interested in what I was doing...perhaps because they thought I sounded like a dying critter.

Haha, for the first twenty six years of my son's life everything I did was stupid and embarrassing for him. Then for some reason, he got older and everything I did became cool and hip, and he tells his friends about it to impress them. Kids grow up eventually and when he does your son will tell all of his friends how cool you were because you played the ukulele and sang when he was a kid. Don't take it personal, that's the way they are.

When my youngest was very little up until he was a toddler, he would cover my wife's mouth when she tried singing to him. If she tried to persist, he became very upset and agitated. Despite my demonstatively worse voice, he enjoyed my singing to him. It hurt my wife's feelings more than a little and was a general puzzlement. I believe it just came from wanting to feel soothed and not engaged by a particular person. He associated me with upbeat attention and my wife with comforting and sleep, and he engaged with music too much to sleep during singing.

In any case, he doesn't have a clue as to why he did that when he was little, and he is now 11. Not to sound ominous, but he has turned out to be a banjo player.

When I play in front of my 1.25 year old, he goes and grabs his own. Get your son a Outdoor ukulele soprano. Durable as hell. He used to want to grab mine until I bought him his own. Perhaps your son won't mind the noise if he gets to make his own.

I didn’t start playing untill after I retired a few years ago so my two sons were long out of the house. When we visit and I play they tolorate it. But the grandkids love it. That’s all the positive feedback I need to keep going.

Top Bottom