How do you listen to music?

Wingnutz

Reaction score
I am not certain this is the right forum for this, but here goes:

I take some care over the audio quality of my video and I am curious about what kind of device/setup people most often use to listen to music on. Obviously, listening to videos over your smartphone speaker would be quite a different thing from using some decent headphones plugged into a laptop for instance.
Thanks in advance for your responses!

Oh well I was going to setup up a poll but by the time I figured out how, this topic already posted!

Last edited:
In the car - CDs or IPod through car speakers.

At home, if listening casually, speakers with computer or digital music player or CDs & speakers.

If listening closely, digital music player with either headphones or speakers, but preferably headphones. File format is sometimes high resolution, sometimes MP3. Don't usually use IPod at home. Better sound quality from a different player without the annoyance of ITunes.

I use google play and I listen to it through a set of Bluetooth headphones, or Bluetooth speakers if I'm in the house. I also have a mount for one of my smaller Bluetooth speakers so that I can attach it to my bicycle. That way I can share my music with other bicyclers out on the trail. In the car I Bluetooth it through the car speakers. I like google play. I used to use iTunes, but now not for a long while. I also have a pretty good collection of vinyl and I listen to them on my old phonograph. I'm always on the lookout for old records to add to my collection.

I have a radio receiver and speakers. You tune it to the radio station and they play music all day.

Does it have a large horizontal anolog screen with the big round dial you use to move the orange needle from left to right. Or right to left depending on the AM or FM station you are searching for.

My wife doesnt share my enthusiasm for the youtube videos I find, so I usually listen to the internet through decent over ear headphones plugged in my Pc.
Sometimes I listen with in ear headphones from my Phone, but not much lately, since I changed job and dont need to commute much anymore.

I used to have an old school stereo reciever connected to my pc, but I not anymore.

Pc speakers I havent used for many years.

Last edited:
It depends on the type of music or source. I have a very good set of Audio Technica headphones and use those to listen to youtube, vimeo, sound cloud etc. videos and recordings plugged into my tablet or phone. I am a sales rep on the road and I have a Nissan Maxima with a Bose sound system so spend most my days listening to Sirus XM satellite radio.

Mostly through my desktop PC, through decent speakers or headphones.

John Colter.

Live if I can, otherwise a car system, computer speakers with woofer, 5.1 AVR and a 70s era stereo system.

Interesting replies! Personally, I usually use headphones plugged into a computer as I don't listen to music much while I'm moving around. With all the innovations in digital technology, we seem to have sacrificed sound quality on the alter of convenience. But I'm probably just showing my age at this point! :)

I have yet to take up arms and join the crusade in which the heretic doth slaughter quality in the name of convenience.

For listening on-the-go: Sony walkman mp3 and Sennheiser Momentum cans.
For listening on the computer (mostly lectures, video games, and audio books): Elac bookshelf speakers or Sennheiser HD 280 cans.
For serious listening: hybrid tube amp and refurbished electrostatic speakers or balanced headphone amp and Sennheiser HD 600 cans.

Strangely enough, I don't really care that much about sound quality itself; many of my favourite musical performances are essentially parking lot performances preserved as field recordings. I just really enjoy listening to the subtle details in musical recordings.

Last edited:
Currently Bose/Beats/Sony headphones. This changes at any time. Headphones and changing sets is my other hobby. Although one can find a decent hifi, headphones are intimate without the room space and furnishings affecting the quality and air being pushed around. :)

My Pixel 2 XL smartphone has decent front stereo speakers. I use it in the house and my office. Otherwise, I listen on the Bose speakers in my car.

In my previous reply, I just focused on how I listen to YouTube, since youtube sound quality seemed to be OPs concern.
While anything from my Pc, mostly internet radio and podcasts but also youtube, is through headphones, my wife insisted we got a Sonos setup in the house. It is a WiFi based system with speakers around the house, controlled by smart Phone. I liked my big old speakers, but I guess it is smart. Havent figured out how to get youtube through though, and the will not play audio files stored on my Pc, only streaming.

In my previous reply, I just focused on how I listen to YouTube, since youtube sound quality seemed to be OPs concern ... Havent figured out how to get youtube through though, and the will not play audio files stored on my Pc, only streaming.

We have cable TV and includes You Tube as one of the channels. We can also get Netflix that way.

At home, I have 3 computers and an iPad that all feed into an audio mixer.

That mixer feeds a pair of Yamaha HS-5 desktop studio monitor speakers as well as a Behringer 5-output headphone amplifier.

During the day I listen on the Yamaha speakers, at night, with a light-weight pair of over-the-ear Sony headphones with 40mm drivers, and if I am writing, recording, tracking and mixing my own music, I will instead use my 30 yr old AKG K-240 studio headphones, which are circum-aural (they surround the entire ear) and have 65mm drivers.

The above listening also includes YouTube, music on my local PLEX media server, internet radio streams, and sometimes brown noise, or binaural beats if I am trying to work and need to focus and close off distractions. When working (software) I typically will wear the above mentioned Sony headphones.

On the go, I have 128kbps MP3s on my phone which I listen to with an ancient pair of Sony Walkman headphones. I squish them down compressed like this (with Selene Media Convertor on Linux) to save space and fit more music on the 32GB microSD card on my phone, and I'm never going to lug around a set of proper cans, and only will be listening on lighter and smaller headphones (Apple Earbuds and similar do not fit my ears, and are either very uncomfortable for me, or slip out or feel like they will slip out, so I do not use them). If you ever see me wearing BEATS headphones, please kick me in the head until I pass out and then steal them and run away, I will not mind :). They are an abomination to look at for me. Never, not for me.

In the car, I seldom listen to music any more, and either put on NPR, or just enjoy the silence. There's too much to fiddle with between the smarphone answering calls (I don not initiate calls while in motion), GPS Nav, and adding the head-space to fiddle with music is just too distracting to me. I like to actually pay attention to the road and not crash or die since most other drivers are completely reckless or distracted so I need to stay vigilant.

Ear buds on the job for music, podcasts, and audiobooks. At home a variety of devices from laptop speakers to studio monitors. In my work truck I have a very modest stereo set up and in my Jeep I have a better system but it is a soft top, so noisy...
There is a time when I really want to listen to the different layers and other times I just want to hear the song. There is a lot to be enjoyed and learned for me personally, either way.

At home, I listen to my George Formby channel on Pandora. I use either my computer or a Grace Internet radio. I have the radio connected to an FM transmitter, so I can listen to radios throughout the house and garage. In the car, I listen to XM or 138 George Formby songs I have on a flash drive.

Top Bottom