Is there a definitive video guide on the "character" of various strings?

cyber3d

Reaction score
I've searched but can not find such a video. There are so many wonderful string sets out there. I only have experience with Living water, Pepe Romero, Aquilla Nylgut, Worth and another Fluorocarbon string.

Somebody must have done a sonic review of strings.

Has anyone put four different "types/brand" of string on the same uke? Maybe 4 different C strings at the same time to hear the difference.

Has anyone put four different "types/brand" of string on the same uke? Maybe 4 different C strings at the same time to hear the difference.

More: http://www.theukulelereview.com/2014/11/07/12-tenor-string-sets-back-to-back/.

Honestly, the HMS comparisons are about as good as you're going to get. Andrew did a stupendous job producing those videos and we all owe him a heap of gratitude for doing such a beast of a task.

As you might notice, Kalei and Corey make any of the strings sound good. Your playing has a greater effect on your sound than "this string" or "that string," IMO. That said, it's helpful to at least get in the ballpark sound-wise by using appropriate strings.

You seem kind of vague on what you're looking for? There are a million string threads and folks who will be happy to lend a hand. But with so many ballparks and string sounds to chose from, it's hard to point you in the right direction at this point.

When in doubt: Practice > Strings! :cool:

More curiosity than anything else. I have my favorite strings on each of my ukes. One's that sound good to me. But, was wondering if anyone has tried 4 brands simultaneously on one uke. That would give the most accurate differences in tonality between strings rather than changing a set out for each brand. You would not be able to strum of course.

Top Bottom