1st Uke for under $80?

DiscGolfGuy

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase my first ukulele (at age 51). I would like to get a new uke, will not spend more than $80* shipped, am looking at either a concert or tenor size (probably concert because to me it has more of the uke sound I feel I'm wanting and it's sort of the middle size so I can decide if I want to go smaller, larger, or stay the same with my next uke), and will probably buy in a bundle if offered in one (seems like most are about $10 extra and offer a bag and a tuner).

Which one of the following would be the best choice (haven't decided where I'm buying from, just using these links to show the ukes)?

- Kala KAA-15C Satin Mahogany Concert https://www.austinbazaar.com/kala-kaa-15c-satin-mahogany-concert-ukulele-kal-kaa-15c.html
- Kala MKA-C Makala Concert https://www.austinbazaar.com/kala-mka-c-ltd-makala-style-concert-ukulele-kal-mka-c.html
- Oscar Schmidt OU2 Mahogany https://www.austinbazaar.com/oscar-schmidt-ou2-concert-ukulele-9-m-ou2-1.html
- Lanikai LU-21C Concert https://www.austinbazaar.com/lanikai-lu-21c-concert-uke-bundle-lan-lu21c-combo-std.html
- Luna Honu Mahogany Concert https://www.austinbazaar.com/luna-honu-concert-ukulele-deluxe-bundle-lun-uke-honu-concert-combo-dlx.html

* Several reasons for the $80 max: a) it's my first uke so I'd like to start out cheap to learn on and then go for quality when I know more about my likes and wants (something to look forward to I guess you'd say); b) helping put a daughter through college so every dollar is important right now; c) I'm using my birthday/Father's Day money and also want to purchase a guitar (I'll give the guitar a try but my main focus is on the ukulele...the guitar is really for my 11 year old son who wants to learn how to play); d) it will be easier to sell my wife on me getting a more expensive one later if I can say I bought one of the cheapest ukes this time :)

Thank you for your help, your time, and your opinions!

DGGuy

I think that you are going to get much the same advise from the same people as you did in your other thread. Any of those would be fine probably. They are all beginner ukes of the cheap variety. I was in the same position four years ago that you are in now. I was even looking at the same retailer, Austin Bazaar. I chose the Makala. It is a pretty good ukulele actually. I still play it quite often. It goes to the beach a lot. If you keep it up eventually you are going to want to upgrade and you will better know what you like then. You can adjust accordingly. Go bigger or smaller. You got nothing to lose really at this point. I mean, none of those ukuleles cost more than a cheap hotel room. Just pick one.

Anything from Kala will be fine. I have the Makala and have owned it for several years; with some decent strings on it, a set up and a bone saddle you’re in business and good for a long time.

Last edited:
Well, I read the first thread you started on this subject, and you got pretty good advice from folks. Of the ones that you linked in this thread, I would go with the KAA-15C. It's the pick of the litter of the ones you posted.

The MKA-C is Agathis, which is a cheaper tone wood than mahogany.

The Luna Honu would be a second choice, I guess.

Regards, GA

I chose the Makala. It is a pretty good ukulele actually.

Anything from Kala will be fine. I have the Makala and have owned it for several years.

I appreciate the help from both of you!

I'm having a problem figuring out the difference between the Makala and the "15" series from Kala. I saw the following info on each but have no clue what they mean as far as quality.

Kala KAA-15C Satin Mahogany Concert Ukulele:
GraphTech NuBone nut and saddle
Satin finish
Top: Mahogany
Back & Sides: Mahogany
Walnut fingerboard
Mahogany neck
Satin finish
Geared tuners
Aquila nylgut strings
This gorgeous mahogany uke features a satin finish and premium Aquila Nylgut Strings along with a Walnut fingerboard. And the chrome die-cast tuners will keep your instrument in tune and sounding great.

Kala MKA-C Makala Concert Ukulele:
Plastic Nut and Saddle (from the info I've found)
Agathis body with satin finish
Black geared tuners
Walnut fingerboard and bridge
Mahogany neck
Geared tuners
Aquila strings
These ukuleles are constructed of mahogany neck and agathis body, along with walnut fingerboard and bridge. They have black tuning knobs with Aquila strings, and the tuners are geared to ensure your uke stays in tune and sounds sharp. In addition, the ukes have a satin finish, so they look as beautiful as they sound.

Again, thank you for your help!

DGGuy

The main difference is in the WOOD! The Makala is Agathis, which as I noted above is a cheaper tone wood than the mahogany in the Kala!

The Kala also has Tusq nut and saddle, the makala has plastic. I think both are plastic, but Tusq is supposed to be better.

I imagine the Kala has slighly better appointments all around.

Thanks for the information and clarification between the different woods found on each of the Kaka ukuleles...being a newbie I had no clue!

Is the concert size a smart choice for a 51 year old 6'2" guy who wants that recognizable uke sound?

Again, thanks for your advice!

DGGuy

I've given away many ukes, and definitely prefer the KAA-15C from your list. The Luna disappoints on volume. The Makala sounds really good for the money but has plastic on the tuners, and as mentioned, wood is not as nice as the KAA.

At 6'2", definitely start with a concert sized neck. But for that ukey sound, also consider a long neck sop!

I'm glad Kala is now making a long (concert sized) neck soprano on that KA-15SLNG level - you could consider that one.

For about $11 more than your limit, I think the Kala KA-SLNG (long neck soprano, gloss finish with multi-binding) is one of the best deals out there. Nicer player than others that cost twice the money... something about it (balance? that punchy soprano sound?) has impressed me over and over, and it looks really good.
I think they run $91 new on line, but for real satisfaction go with someone like Mim who will set it up for you for free, even if it runs a bit higher. (A set-up is at least $30 so to have that come free is a great deal...).

Last edited:
Well, I read the first thread you started on this subject, and you got pretty good advice from folks.

I agree...fantastic advice on that post!

I posted this one here, being specific about the models I'm considering, trying to make sure I was clear that I have to stay below that $80 max!

Just out of curiosity, and considering my price point probably for future reference, what other uke sellers (other than Mims) are recommended that set up all of the ukuleles they sell?

DGGuy

Last edited:
I would go for the Kala as well.
I have no experience with Lanakai and oscar smith.
I once had a Luna ukulele that dissapointed me. Not the same model, but it put me off the brand.
I used to play the Makala, which was a pretty good experience for a first ukulele. However, I got a bit tired of the Comic Sans headstock logo, and didnt play it much since I upgraded. If the Kala is the slightly better uke from the same manufacturer, with a slightly more serious looking logo, it will postpone upgrade need and be even better as a beach ukulele after the eventual upgrade.

I don’t have any problem with people buying into a starter ukulele before deciding to upgrade, and let’s be honest...Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome hits soon enough as it is.

If you’re buying a Kala or Ohana, please consider getting one that is set up by a dealer...most likely Mim’s Ukes or The Uke Republic. The Ukulele Site isn’t going to deal with these entry level models (they do in their store—just not online any more).

I’d recommend the Aklot Concert (23”) or the Enya Concert. The Aklot has a solid top, and other than its orangish color and dove saddle, I thought it was a pretty fair ukulele (with Aquila strings). That said, Barry Maz at gotaukulele.com pulled his review of the Aklot due to shady business practices and now will no longer review Amazon-only ukuleles. The Enya is a laminate (not the more expensive HPL), and the ones I have seen are pretty nice for what you pay. On both of these, action was good out of the box. You will want to replace the strings on the Enya, though.

Aklot Concert ($60): https://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Maho...pID=51PmhiL2qNL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Enya Concert ($61): https://www.amazon.com/KUCMA-Concer...29443787&sr=1-5&keywords=enya+concert+ukulele

The only other advice...remember that ukulele strings stretch and stretch. If your ukulele doesn’t stay in tune (Kala has a decent app on Android and iOS), keep tuning it and it will eventually start to hold tune. Play it a lot...that helps.

Received a coupon in the mail today for 20% off at a local store making each of these currently $80...anyone have any opinions/comments on the following two ukuleles and whether they are any better than the 5 I listed above?

Luna Tattoo Mahogany Concert Ukulele: https://www.lunaguitars.com/query?upc=819998081973

Cordoba 15CM Concert Ukulele: https://www.cordobaguitars.com/ukuleles/15cm/

Thanks!

DGGuy

I have no issues with either of these brands (Barry Maz at gotaukulele.com isn’t very favorable on the Luna, and I don’t know if he has reviewed a Cordoba).

Both are laminate imports (not a problem) that may not be set up correctly. Even if you cannot set up a ukulele yourself, you should learn how to check the major issues. Others can add if I have forgotten anything...

1) Play each fret up and down each string (maybe it gets a little silly to do it past the 12th fret) and listen for a “buzz” or muted note that would indicate that the frets are not level. As a beginner, you have to make sure that you aren’t the cause of the problem.

2) Rub your hands up and down the sides of the neck, feeling the fret ends. If the fret ends are sharp, they will interfere with your comfort if not your actual playing. This should be dealt with immediately, and sadly, I have run into a lot of Lunas with this problem. This happens to all kinds of ukuleles, though...and there are fixes.

3) You should have a ruler with millimeters on it. The bottom of the string should be no higher than 3mm off the top of the 12th fret. And that’s a bit on the high side. If you see more than 3mm there, the saddle likely needs to be adjusted.

4) When you press down a string on the 3rd fret, there should be very little space...barely enough to hold a piece of paper or credit card...under the string and the first fret. If there is quite a bit of space, it means the nut slots are cut too high, which makes playing notes and chords that use the first and second frets (i.e. many of the first chords that beginners play) painful.

5) Check the body for damage

6) Look inside the ukulele to make sure that nothing is loose

7) Holding the ukulele firmly, shake it a bit to make sure that everything is okay and there are no loose or unexpected rattles anywhere.

If your ukulele needs to be set up, that can be done, and you can learn how to do it—but many stores will charge extra for this.

Last edited:
Well, I'm skeptical of very cheap ukuleles, so I'd save up another month or two and buy something used for $150, or something new from Mim's if you're in the US, but if those are your only choices, I'd go with the Cordoba. But neither has a solid top, and the only laminated top I ever thought didn't sound very muted and dull is the laminate Kiwaya/Famous use. But I'd wait until you have a slightly bigger budget.

Sorry to keep harping on Enya, but here is their concert with a solid mahogany top, not laminate https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WVN4F8W/ref=twister_B06XJ2TKWB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1. Both Enya I have came perfectly set up from the factory. And it's within your budget. My tenor of this model is a descent sounding and easy playing uke. I leave it setting by my desk so I always have it available to play, and don't have to worry if the dog knocks it over.

PS - I don't recommend the laminate versions. (I also have one of those).

The nut setup is most critical. With Flight Travel ukes TUS35 (45€) and TUS50 (49€) you can be quite sure to get a good one. I am not sure about the possible variation in bridge height, if any?
You will get a plastic uke with only the top being wooden, and tuners metal. All else is plastic, frets too.
https://flightmusic.com/ukuleles/

It is a soprano, so does not satisfy the general concert size recommendation for a newbie. Anyways he/she won't be crying because of bad nut action and able to learn chords and play tunes with it. Make music that is, instead quit in frustration.

Sorry to keep harping on Enya, but here is their concert with a solid mahogany top, not laminate https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WVN4F8W/ref=twister_B06XJ2TKWB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1. Both Enya I have came perfectly set up from the factory. And it's within your budget. My tenor of this model is a descent sounding and easy playing uke. I leave it setting by my desk so I always have it available to play, and don't have to worry if the dog knocks it over.

PS - I don't recommend the laminate versions. (I also have one of those).

We bought a bunch of Enya.
I like the solid tops and the laminates just fine.
At least after the strings were changed, the originals suck.
We gifted most to friends and family and kept one of the concert laminates for a tuned in 5th instrument.

Top Bottom