Ortega ukulele strap with soundhole hook opinions

Jarmo_S

Reaction score
Now that I have got my chords down in all 12 (24 with minors) keys, it was time to try this gadget, without fear of it becoming a crutch to my playing.
https://ortegaguitars.com/product-finder/accessory/accessory-item/show/Product/oushk-br/oushk-br/

I don't like to hold my uke low. I am a strummer mainly. After the adjustment is done to make it as short as possible, it is still too long. So I made a knot on the part that goes around the waist, and now it is of perfect length. I noticed one review in Thomann website about this, but the knot trick was not mentioned.

In Flight TUS-50 soprano uke this works fine. I can keep it on and play supported by it, which is a very good thing if fingerplaying. The uke is just a bit lower than I normally play without, so I can actually choose if wanting any support from the strap.

This works also playing wise fine with my other ukulele, Kala ka-cem concert ukulele. I might adjust the strap to be a bit longer, because Kala is thicker than Flight.

But, Kala has some wooden list or something below the top soundhole, so I am not really wanting to push the hook all the way down in fear of braking that. And if not the strap needs lengthening and not sure also how secure the hook holds then.

Fortunately the Kala is very nice to hold without the strap. Also it is my strumming uke. So I keep the strap use mainly for the little travel uke.

Does the strap get in a way? Playing solos with the thumb high up on A-string, it can. I can either use index finger or move the thumb on the other side of the hook (nearer to bridge). In normal play no problem for concert or soprano. Tenor I don't have, so no opinion of that.

Try this strap, which is designed for ukuleles rather than low-positioned and bulky guitars:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UKULELE-STRAP-UKE-THONG-4-COLORS-BUY-3-GET-4/323304421206

Though most of my ukes have dedicated straps, on the rest I've been using these particular thongs for years. Unlike some other similar thongs, the hook part is nearly flat, so there's no knobby bit for your strumming hand to run into—low profile.

(I don't recommend the Souldier thong; the metal hook could poke through the enclosing nylon webbing from the first day.)

Actually the hook is all solid plastic of a rather rigid type. The minimum gap is ] 2.5 mm , 3mm [ .
https://www.thomann.de/fi/ortega_ous_hk_bk_ukulele_strap.htm?sid=d9db0c15f07661604d8d10e932e30e82
You can propably see it in the middle picture which can be enlargened.

This strap is rather of a relatively good quality unlike many gadgets sold relating capos, straps etc. in musical industry. Except being somewhat too long. But for guitar it is not designed. I certainly can't put it to my classical guitar, nor can my neck hold such a weight.
I got it myself for 8.90€ at a local music store which we always should be supporting with our purchases instead big web stores like Thomann in times we can.

Kala ka-cem is I think structurally the same ukulele as Kala ka-c, the em coming from exotic mahogany look treatment. So those who have it will know what the wooden list I mentioned is. The hook is quite hard to pull off straight upwards, but I noticed a sideways tangential swinging rotation first and then pulling it up helps. If I had a file available, I could also try widen the gap somewhat.

Last edited:
I use Julius Medina straps. They are beautiful, really solid, and rather expensive. Give them a look if you're curious.

I use Julius Medina straps. They are beautiful, really solid, and rather expensive. Give them a look if you're curious.

Yes they are expensive. My ukes don't have strap buttons either ;)
These "thongs" work quite well, ukulele being such a light weight instrument.

I've always been worried about using sound hole straps out of fear that they may damage the instrument, especially with a thin top. This is probably unjustified, but I am more comfortable using a Uke Leash or no strap at all.

I've always been worried about using sound hole straps out of fear that they may damage the instrument, especially with a thin top. This is probably unjustified, but I am more comfortable using a Uke Leash or no strap at all.

There is not, at least any significant force, pulling the soundhole edge in the direction of a top normal. The only practical forces are the ukes mass, the right hand arm contact to the side of a lower bout, compensating the momentums to keep the neck supported and the uke not tilting "in the strap" and then your body contact force. Those contact forces are quite small. And thus also the push to the uke soundhole edge tangential, not normal. Realize your neck takes about the same amount.

Abrasive damage only time will tell, propably not that much.

I've always been worried about using sound hole straps out of fear that they may damage the instrument, especially with a thin top.

Me, too. Most straps like that have hard plastic straps that would have to be forced over the wood. I'd rather use a conventional strap.

You should go google Willie and his Trigger guitar. Notice it is not exactly solid anymore quite near the soundhole support. To ease your minds :)

I've always been worried about using sound hole straps out of fear that they may damage the instrument, especially with a thin top.

Plus one.

IIRC my old Uke teacher suggested that I steer clear of these type of straps because he had seen damage caused by them. Of course I ignored him and tried one for myself, it took me minutes to discover that they are a right fiddle to use and don’t give a hands free support. Tried a Uke Leash but the’re not for me, now I use a strap tied to the headstock and a button on the lower bout - very satisfied with the final solution.

Plus one.

IIRC my old Uke teacher suggested that I steer clear of these type of straps because he had seen damage caused by them. Of course I ignored him and tried one for myself, it took me minutes to discover that they are a right fiddle to use and don’t give a hands free support. Tried a Uke Leash but the’re not for me, now I use a strap tied to the headstock and a button on the lower bout - very satisfied with the final solution.

Yes there can be such teachers, best not believe them and trust more yourself. Ukulele is very light compared to forces in your hands etc. With only a strap support the playing won't really work, chunks, body tapping etc. I know this although personally I have only strap experience with the other end of spectrum, heavy electric guitar. With uke a body contact is imo needed and soundhole support strap gives that stability naturally. Of course you need to hold with at least one hand or take it off your neck and put down.

Plus one.

If only they used a soft rubber, vinyl, or silicone material to grip the sound hole.

A strap to me is more than just support to play my uke. I use a strap just to free up my hands so that I can turn pages, swipe the screen, adjust the knobs, get something out of my case, take off my sunglasses and put on my reading glasses, sometimes you have to free up your hands. So I have a sound hole thong strap but I seldom use it because you can't just let go, swing the uke behind your back to get it out of the way for a moment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom