Guitar$ vs Ukes

The Martin D-28 is the most sought after bluegrass guitar. But I didn't know that they cost that much. I probably won't be buying one this week.

Those are custom/vintage guitars whose price is driven by their rarity. Those prices are certainly not representative of the Martin line, which is more conventionally pricey: the street price of a new D-28 is around $2500.

Congratulations Jerry. You've discovered "Martin Mania". Fortunately, I've never been a fan. Just don't care for the Martin sound. Oh, and these would be considered cheap in comparison to some of the really collectable models.

I've always found the Martin guitar sound fantastic, but never liked the neck profile, sold the only one I had.
I've bought a Martin S1 uke, and find that expensive compared to guitars.... but heyho, paying for the name i guess. The uke I find dead easy to play, love the profile, however, havent as of yet fell in love with the tone, still need to find the strings I like I guess.

Yup. Pre-WWII Gibson archtops can be pretty expensive as well. I speak from experience!

If we take the big three K brand ukuleles a Kamaka, Kanilea or Koaloha tenor will run between $1100 - $1300. If we take the big three guitars, Martin, Gibson and Taylor their mid to higher range will be about $3000, then it can go way up from there.

So yes we are fortunate by comparison sake that ukes are less expensive. Even a custom Kinnard, Koolau, LfdM, Hive etc will be around $3500. The same level of custom built guitar could start at $10,000 and go up from there. This is why you see guitar players that come to ukulele buying high quality instruments from the start. They not only appreciate the difference in sound but the bargin a $1100 instrument is compared to a similar quality guitar

Curiously, though, when you look at entry and early mid range models, guitars often come with more bling (abalone inlays, etc).

The guitars in these ranges are made by Martin for working musicians, not amateurs or learners.

I would argue that 30k guitars are chiefly made for collectors and "amateurs". I don't know many working musicians who play 30k guitars, especially not on stage or at an event.

The going price these days for one of the 91 original pre-war Martin D-45s is around $250,000 more or less, depending on the condition.

Scooter

I think those 2 guitars are way overpriced. new tops and necks - they are basically a new guitar with some pretty rosewood. The pre-war guitars definitely have that "sound" but prices get driven up by collectors, not musicians :)
My wife couldn't understand why my Martin T-1 uke cost the same as my Martin 000 guitar (being so much smaller). I told her Martin instruments are not sold by the pound! (Meh...she still didn't get it)

Top Bottom