Cantigas lute

Dusepo

Reaction score
Cantigas-style lute just finished. This build is based on 2 sources from the Cantigas de Santa Maria from medieval Spain (1221–1284).

nyy1eAA.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice Jo!

The width across the top looks bigger than most of your previous lutes. I bet that one is pretty loud. :music:

Are the frets made of wires tied around the neck, and 'cut in' the the back of the neck? I dont recall seeing that in your builds before...

Thanks for sharing :)

Very nice Jo!

The width across the top looks bigger than most of your previous lutes. I bet that one is pretty loud. :music:

Are the frets made of wires tied around the neck, and 'cut in' the the back of the neck? I dont recall seeing that in your builds before...

Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks! Yes this customer wanted a lute based on my zenne oud model, which has a wider body and shorter neck.
The frets are made from string tied around the neck, as frets were made this way on many historical instruments, right up until the baroque period. Many modern instruments still use frets made this way, such as the Turkish saz and lavta.
One of the advantages is that this makes the frets moveable, should the player wish to play non-western or historical scales.

Top Bottom