Martin S1 or Pono AS sopranos

bsfloyd

Reaction score
Well, I'm torn between the two. While I have experience with the Martin S-O, I have no experience with their newer/redesigned S1 nor the Pono AS acacia matte finish. The S1 is used in mint condition and the Pono AS is new. Both are just about the same price. So I ask... which one would YOU get and why...

Thanks!

Well, I'm torn between the two. While I have experience with the Martin S-O, I have no experience with their newer/redesigned S1 nor the Pono AS acacia matte finish. The S1 is used in mint condition and the Pono AS is new. Both are just about the same price. So I ask... which one would YOU get and why...

Thanks!

Well, just based on price alone, the Pono AS is about $359.00 new, but I wouldn't pay $359.00 for a used Martin S1, unless you can play it first, and it is a real gem. I've seen plenty of used S1 ukes in the $250-275 range, even a bit less.
The 2 most recent S1 sales on eBay were $235 and $269. I bought a used one for $250.00 shipped here on UU a while back. It was pretty nice, but I moved on, since I liked the sound/action of Kiwaya/Famous Eco Series ukes better, that's just me.

Also, the Pono may have a slightly thicker neck, as many do, and the Acaica Pono may sound different than than the mahogany Martin. I find mahogany warmer sounding, with acacia sounding brighter. Good luck with your search.

Last edited:
Thanks for the words, Ukecaster! I had actually just purchased the S1. Turns out it is new, not used. There was a make offer option so I offered less than the new Pono price and it was accepted. I guess now I need to make budget for the Pono for the near future as I'm sure I would appreciate the beefier neck on them :)

I have an S1 that I found in mint condition at a second hand Music store—for $250. Our local music store carries them for $419. They also have a concert 2K ($1600).

I wanted a Martin so I bought it and I do not regret it. I just put Gotoh UPTs on it—recommender modification on a new (not vintage) S1 for sure.

I’m not sure that a new Martin S1 is worth $419...but it is a quality build of the quintessential Martin ukulele sound.

I’ll also buy a KoAloha soprano some day. But the Martins is mine until I pass on.

Thanks for sharing, Choirguy. That's a fine deal on your S1! I wondered about the normal $419 price tag. I guess the jury is still out on that one, but the reviews I've read and watched say the build quality is too notch. I've read that Martin did better on the S1 over the S-O. Nonetheless, I'm sure I will love them both.

A follow up - the S1 arrived yesterday and I have to say I have a bit of buyers remorse and think perhaps I should have went with the Pono. Perhaps I had much higher expectations for the S1 from all the reading I have done that mentioned how the S-O was Matin's "welcome back" to the ukulele world and they could have done better - enter the S1.

I have to say that I like my S-O better than this S1. Maybe I just happen to have a very good version of the S-O, and the S1 I received is a sub par offering (we all know how acoustic construction varies from instrument to instrument of the same model).

The first thing I noticed was how thin the S1 sounds compared to my S-O. Now, I have read how well liked the Martin 600 flourocarbon strings are but I've never tried them before. I was looking forward to trying them with the S1 as they come standard on it, but I have to say I do not like them at all. As I said above, and it could be the instrument, but they sound thin with no depth. My S-O has Nylgut on it, which I really like the tone of.

Seeing how the instrument is in the return period, I contemplate trying to find different strings that it might like - like I said, I wonder if it's the instrument and not the strings. The action and setup feels good, intonation is spot on, just sounds thin and dull. There is however a dead note on the A string fourth fret that will need some fret work I believe to alleviate. The surrounding frets are fine on that string, just the one fret. Oh well, we'll see.

Last edited:
If you're still in the returns period then I say return it. I've been down the road of endless string changes to try to like an instrument and it can be a dead end. If you're not happy now you're unlikely to become happy suddenly - strings do change sound but they don't change the overall character of an instrument in my opinion. Get your money back, get the Pono.

The first thing I noticed was how thin the S1 sounds compared to my S-O. Now, I have read how well liked the Martin 600 flourocarbon strings are but I've never tried them before. I was looking forward to trying them with the S1 as they come standard on it, but I have to say I do not like them at all. As I said above, and it could be the instrument, but they sound thin with no depth. My S-O has Nylgut on it, which I really like the tone of.

Certainly the biggest thing I would consider is to change the strings. I you like Nylguts you can give those a shot. The difference between Nylguts and fluorocarbons is pretty significant, much like the old comparing apples to oranges.

Certainly the biggest thing I would consider is to change the strings. I you like Nylguts you can give those a shot. The difference between Nylguts and fluorocarbons is pretty significant, much like the old comparing apples to oranges.

^^what EDW said^^ Living water strings improved mine a bit, but its still a bit shallow, Nylguts next :)

Thanks everyone for the replies!! I really do hate to return it. First off, it is a very nice build - very tidy everywhere, the fit and finish is just great (other than that single pesky fret but I'm sure I could get that taken care of reasonably cheap enough). Second, I would be out the shipping costs to get it to me and the costs to ship it back - about $40 or so. The return period would expire by the time I was able to get a set of Nylguts to me as my local music shops don't carry them. I would have to mail order them.

Is Pono fit and finish as good as Martin? I've never owned a Pono before.

EDIT - Perhaps I should add that I play melody style only. So, single note accuracy and clarity are the utmost importance.

Last edited:
Is Pono fit and finish as good as Martin? I've never owned a Pono before.

On my Pono baritone, it is excellent. Better than the finish of the KoAloha pineapple I had.

For strings, I'm a big fan of the Aquila Red Series strings.

Thanks for the reply and sharing your experience, Mivo!!

Top Bottom