External preamp for a K&K passive pickup

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have a Compass Rose steel string baritone ukulele and a Kinnard steel string tenor guitar that have K&K passive pickups in them, and I'd like to get an external preamp for them. Someone I know has an LR Baggs Para D1 that he likes, but I noticed that in somewhat the same price range, LR baggs als makes a Sessions DI and a Venue DI preamp. I've included links to them on Amazon NOT to persuade people to buy anything from Amazon but so that people who don't know what these are could have a look.

Para D! (~$189): https://www.amazon.com/LR-Baggs-Para-Acoustic-D-I/dp/B001E95KEC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529703819&sr=8-1&keywords=LR+Baggs+preamp

Sessions D! (~$249) : https://www.amazon.com/L-R-Baggs-SESSION-DI-Acoustic-Preamp/dp/B00XWLVDUU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1529703819&sr=8-2&keywords=LR+Baggs+preamp

Venue DI: (~$299) https://www.amazon.com/LR-Baggs-Acoustic-Guitar-Effect/dp/B002LFCDPM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1529703819&sr=8-4&keywords=LR+Baggs+preamp

I'm trying to choose between the Para DI, the Sessions DI, and the Venue DI. I'd appreciate any comments that speak to differences between them and whether one is better (or worse) for some purposes than for others. Unfortunately, the "compare" function on the websites of retailers that sell all three have been unhelpful or inoperative. Thanks!

Why not get one of the K&K pre-amps?

I have one of the K&K Mini preamps and also a Baggs PA. I really like the K&K over the Baggs because of it's compact convenience being able to slip it on my belt for sound adjustments.

I use a Baggs Gigpro with K&K twins on a Pono Concert. The controls on the belt sure are nice.

The people I know with preamps seem to prefer LR Baggs. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've never used a Baggs product, but I like the K&K Pure. Especially at under $100 on Amazon.

I am late commenting here but I use a Para DI. I have one Uke with a Twin Spot and another with a piezo. The Para does allow you to trim out any offending frequencies that may bring on feedback with precision.
It allows me to tune out the mid-frequency quack that is inherent in the piezo also. Quite happy with it.

Fogot to mention, you might want take a look at the tremendous amount of info that Booli has compiled about audio.
He is well versed and well in experienced in the matter, a fantastic source of information.
So thankful for him sharing his knowledge.

Fogot to mention, you might want take a look at the tremendous amount of info that Booli has compiled about audio.
He is well versed and well in experienced in the matter, a fantastic source of information.
So thankful for him sharing his knowledge.

Thanks for the kinds words Steve.

Said info can be found by following the FAQ link in my forum signature below.

Also the mid-frequency quack you mentioned is an electrical problem known as IMPEDANCE MISMATCH, which is not fixable by EQ, but rather by a DI box, transformer with a step-down function, or parallel resistor network.

You can 'play with EQ', but due to the impedance mismatch nearly all frequencies below 300hz are simply not available to a guitar or mic input without an active preamp or a DI box, since the effect of the impedance mismatch acts like a 'high pass filter'...more info via the FAQ link below....:)

A big thanks to you Booli. Without your sharing of knowledge I wouldn't have known that a DI was the solution to my horrible sounding piezo pickup. I sourced the Para DI after extensive reading of your posts and FAQ.

Thanks again for your huge contributions.

Steve.

The LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI is my go to Di box with the addition of a parametric equalizer and a notch filter to dial in the best natural sound from your piezoelectric pickups with impedance matching to tame piezo quack and squawk. The Venue is a larger floor pedal that also has a built in digital tuner. The Sessions was designed with less controls for added warmth, when the strings are aggressively attacked for a honky tonk sound. Ric

Thanks for all the responses! When I plug in, I play with a group, and my need for a preamp was driven by my having a passive pickup in the instrument I play. I ended up buying an L.R. Baggs Para DI because it seems to do what I need without the bells and whistles of the two more expensive preamps, and the guy who runs my group also has a Para DI.

Congratulations on your purchase and use of the LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI, MDS725. It's a workhorse that gets the job done right and I've been using mine for decades, as I understand it like the back of my hand. Ric

Booli,

Could you please expand on the "parallel resistor network" comment?

I have a K&K twin spot passive pick up in my Kamaka Tenor and had one installed also in a Mya Moe tenor. I discovered the need for a pre amp and purchased the K& K belt mounted pre amp. It really boosts the signal and I like it.

Now, I have a Boss Equalizer Foot Pedal that the Pre amp plugs into before entering the Fender Acoustic Amp. That alone has brought on a new sound dimension. I am still making adjustments to the equalizer because every large room or hall requires new settings.

The more I learn about amplification the less I know.. I like to keep things simple and the costs down.

Cool, Baggs makes great stuff. My favorite under saddle pickups. When I need a direct box preamp I use a Trace Acoustic Tap 1: simple and sounds amazing. Built like a tank too. I also have a Fishman Aura Spectrum D.I. It's okay as a simple D.I. but the patches don't really improve on the natural sound and I bypass them.

You know, I'm just not that happy with mine. It seems to add a bit of distortion when run into my amp.

Top Bottom