Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: External preamp for a K&K passive pickup

Vista (North County San Diego), California

The LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI is my go to Di box with the addition of a parametric equalizer and a notch filter to dial in the best natural sound from your piezoelectric pickups with impedance matching to tame piezo quack and squawk. The Venue is a larger floor pedal that also has a built in digital tuner. The Sessions was designed with less controls for added warmth, when the strings are aggressively attacked for a honky tonk sound. Ric

Thanks for all the responses! When I plug in, I play with a group, and my need for a preamp was driven by my having a passive pickup in the instrument I play. I ended up buying an L.R. Baggs Para DI because it seems to do what I need without the bells and whistles of the two more expensive preamps, and the guy who runs my group also has a Para DI.

Vista (North County San Diego), California

Congratulations on your purchase and use of the LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI, MDS725. It's a workhorse that gets the job done right and I've been using mine for decades, as I understand it like the back of my hand. Ric

Booli,

Could you please expand on the "parallel resistor network" comment?

I have a K&K twin spot passive pick up in my Kamaka Tenor and had one installed also in a Mya Moe tenor. I discovered the need for a pre amp and purchased the K& K belt mounted pre amp. It really boosts the signal and I like it.

Now, I have a Boss Equalizer Foot Pedal that the Pre amp plugs into before entering the Fender Acoustic Amp. That alone has brought on a new sound dimension. I am still making adjustments to the equalizer because every large room or hall requires new settings.

The more I learn about amplification the less I know.. I like to keep things simple and the costs down.
    Pono Mahogany Tenor High G
    Kamaka HF-3 Tenor High G
    Pono Acacia Deluxe Tenor Low G

Cool, Baggs makes great stuff. My favorite under saddle pickups. When I need a direct box preamp I use a Trace Acoustic Tap 1: simple and sounds amazing. Built like a tank too. I also have a Fishman Aura Spectrum D.I. It's okay as a simple D.I. but the patches don't really improve on the natural sound and I bypass them.

Thread Information