Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: External preamp for a K&K passive pickup

Default External preamp for a K&K passive pickup

I have a Compass Rose steel string baritone ukulele and a Kinnard steel string tenor guitar that have K&K passive pickups in them, and I'd like to get an external preamp for them. Someone I know has an LR Baggs Para D1 that he likes, but I noticed that in somewhat the same price range, LR baggs als makes a Sessions DI and a Venue DI preamp. I've included links to them on Amazon NOT to persuade people to buy anything from Amazon but so that people who don't know what these are could have a look.

Para D! (~$189): https://www.amazon.com/LR-Baggs-Para...R+Baggs+preamp

Sessions D! (~$249) : https://www.amazon.com/L-R-Baggs-SES...R+Baggs+preamp

Venue DI: (~$299) https://www.amazon.com/LR-Baggs-Acou...R+Baggs+preamp

I'm trying to choose between the Para DI, the Sessions DI, and the Venue DI. I'd appreciate any comments that speak to differences between them and whether one is better (or worse) for some purposes than for others. Unfortunately, the "compare" function on the websites of retailers that sell all three have been unhelpful or inoperative. Thanks!

Why not get one of the K&K pre-amps?
    Grey beard, tone deaf, rhythm challenged, but my dogs allow me to play for them so that is good enough for me
    aNueNue straight grain mango Custom Maui Mango III
    Lanikai spalted mango Concert TunaUke
    Magic Fluke concert Fluke w/K&K Big Island Spot
    Romero Creations flamed and spalted mango Tiny Tenor w/K&K Aloha Twin

I have one of the K&K Mini preamps and also a Baggs PA. I really like the K&K over the Baggs because of it's compact convenience being able to slip it on my belt for sound adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    Why not get one of the K&K pre-amps?
    The people I know with preamps seem to prefer LR Baggs. Thanks for the suggestion.

I use a Baggs Gigpro with K&K twins on a Pono Concert. The controls on the belt sure are nice.

Quote Originally Posted by mds725 View Post
    The people I know with preamps seem to prefer LR Baggs. Thanks for the suggestion.
    I've never used a Baggs product, but I like the K&K Pure. Especially at under $100 on Amazon.
    Donaldson Kumalae-style soprano * Magic Fluke Timber Bass * Ohana CK450QEL * Ohana CK-65D * Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke
    Fluke FireFly * Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22
    Kala KA-KTG-CT * Cordoba 20TM * 1950s Harmony soprano *1920s Stella banjo uke

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

I am late commenting here but I use a Para DI. I have one Uke with a Twin Spot and another with a piezo. The Para does allow you to trim out any offending frequencies that may bring on feedback with precision.
    It allows me to tune out the mid-frequency quack that is inherent in the piezo also. Quite happy with it.

Fogot to mention, you might want take a look at the tremendous amount of info that Booli has compiled about audio.
    He is well versed and well in experienced in the matter, a fantastic source of information.
    So thankful for him sharing his knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Spicysteve View Post
    Fogot to mention, you might want take a look at the tremendous amount of info that Booli has compiled about audio.
    He is well versed and well in experienced in the matter, a fantastic source of information.
    So thankful for him sharing his knowledge.
    Thanks for the kinds words Steve.

Said info can be found by following the FAQ link in my forum signature below.

Also the mid-frequency quack you mentioned is an electrical problem known as IMPEDANCE MISMATCH, which is not fixable by EQ, but rather by a DI box, transformer with a step-down function, or parallel resistor network.

You can 'play with EQ', but due to the impedance mismatch nearly all frequencies below 300hz are simply not available to a guitar or mic input without an active preamp or a DI box, since the effect of the impedance mismatch acts like a 'high pass filter'...more info via the FAQ link below....
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

A big thanks to you Booli. Without your sharing of knowledge I wouldn't have known that a DI was the solution to my horrible sounding piezo pickup. I sourced the Para DI after extensive reading of your posts and FAQ.

Thanks again for your huge contributions.

Steve.

Thread Information