Bridge plate fit on StewMac kit

Arcy

Strummin' in the Rain
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm starting out on my first build from a StewMac tenor kit. When dry fitting the bracing before glue-up I found that the bridge plate doesn't quite fit:
ukebridge1.jpg
ukebridge2.jpg

Does this matter?

The options I can see are:
  1. Don't worry about it. Glue it as is and hope nobody looks inside to closely (but I'll know)
  2. Cut the angles down so this fits in flush, but is smaller and a bit offset from the pattern
  3. Cut a new bridge plate from a piece of similarly sized plywood (easy)
  4. Try to thickness and cut a similar piece of wood to size (hard?)
  5. Put this off until I can call StewMac on Monday (impatient!)

I'm leaning towards cutting a new plate from a scrap of 1/16" Baltic birch plywood. My assumption is that the plates purpose is to strengthen under the bridge, that difference between ply and spruce(?) on such a small piece will be unnoticeable, and I'll be happier if the fit is clean.

Am I missing anything here, and does this sound like an appropriate remedy? I can try to match the wood, but I don't have anything close in size. I'd have to thickness it by hand and that sounds like real work :)

Thanks!
Rob

Attachments

• uke1 - small.jpg
    uke1 - small.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 23
  • uke2 - small.jpg
    uke2 - small.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 15
My guess is the guy who cuts the bridge plates cut the wrong angle. It happens. Personally I would just move the braces in so they contact the plate on either side and call it good to go. It is important that the fan bracing contact the bridge plate. Whether of not the angle is perfect is secondary. But they gotta contact.

Thanks BuzzBD and sequoia!

I found a 1/16" thick scrap in my stash and cut out a new plate so the sides match up to the braces. Perfect fit and a secret signature icon :)

bridge.jpg

It's getting late, so glue-up starts tomorrow!

Looks fine - good result!

John Colter

Top Bottom