Season 332: The Alphabet

D is for Doubt. This is the first song that I wrote that ended up on a 7" record. I wrote the song using bass chords---still four strings for this version, but not quite as heavy :p

As you may know, I have depression and anxiety. I wrote a song about that, comparing mental illness to zombies. CW: mental illness, self-harm.

BTW, I got locked out of my old YouTube account. Please subscribe here. I need 100 subscribers to get a custom URL, and every subscriber helps.

I have a dilemma. One of the songs I have lined up for this season has a couple of expletives in the lyrics, one of which begins with the letter 'f'. I hardly ever swear in my normal everyday life, so I may just be being a bit oversensitive about this, but I really don't want to offend any of you. I could, of course, use alternative more acceptable words where necessary, or just leave a gap - but there's a part of me that wants to stay true to the original and sing it as originally written and intended. Opinions please?

I have a dilemma. One of the songs I have lined up for this season has a couple of expletives in the lyrics, one of which begins with the letter 'f'. I hardly ever swear in my normal everyday life, so I may just be being a bit oversensitive about this, but I really don't want to offend any of you. I could, of course, use alternative more acceptable words where necessary, or just leave a gap - but there's a part of me that wants to stay true to the original and sing it as originally written and intended. Opinions please?

In my opinion, it's up to the host. There have been times when I've censored a song when I don't think the profanity adds anything to it, and there have been other times when I feel that the profanity is integral to the song so I've included it with the host's permission.

I never hesitate or regret changing otherwise good lyrics that contain profanities or blasphemies. I can't think of a single example where the edited profanity or blasphemy was necessary or integral to the song but I suppose that if they were integral, I wouldn't sing the song at all. I bet most people wouldn't even notice the change if they were to hear me perform the edited song because the change is usually only one or a few words.

Are you ready for a nice German folksong starting with a B?
Bunt sind schon die Wälder, an autumn song describing the colouring of the leaves, played on two ukes, the melody in campanella style.

If you don't believe me, you can listen to Hannes Wader pronouncing the B
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNzCtHYIuoI

Words can be powerful. Sometimes the only appropriate word is one that is considered obscene or profane. Use your own best judgement, you're not gonna offend me.

Words can be powerful. Sometimes the only appropriate word is one that is considered obscene or profane. Use your own best judgement, you're not gonna offend me.
Thanks, Randy - think I’ll include the milder one and actually sing “eff” instead of the other one. Does anybody have any strong objection to this?

Here's some bowie starting with C, in C and with his trademark simple chord progression :cool:

Top Bottom