Knotty question and Reentrant ?

snkysnake

Reaction score
The thread title almost covers it. Can someone give me the $ 5 explanation of what Reentrant means, and what is Not reentrant ? Maybe also explain the basics of why I should pick one of the other. I feel like I've read a million threads, and even used the search function, lots of mentions of reentrant, but no explanations. Maybe I missed it somewhere. Second subject for this newbie.... Is there a tutorial somewhere that explains a simple way to restring a uke or classical guitar and do the string tie on the bridge ? Thanks in advance !

Hey Snkysnake. Do you have Facebook messenger? Maybe we would just have a chat and I could show you rather than trying to type it all out... If you want to try that PM me your details rather than putting them on the public forum.

I guess I don't have the messenger ap , just plain old facebook

Here is a good video on how to restring your ukulele (or guitar) with a variety of bridge types and headstocks:

A quick summary on what re-entrant means can be found here.

Last edited:
I guess I don't have the messenger ap , just plain old facebook

If it's on the PC, it won't matter... Otherwise Mivo's video should help you. One of the reasons I wanted to talk was because there are a whole bunch of different bridges, and Mivo's video shows the 4 most common, so that ought to at least solve that problem.

It's why I love that video. :) It covers most scenarios and is recorded very well (HMS quality). Helped me a lot with my first few string changes, which I found pretty scary in the beginning.

Thanks robinboyd and Mivo , the video and the link should get me started. My Uke is a Cordoba 15TM and I'll see if I can attach some pics of the bridgeIMG_0504.jpg IMG_0505.jpg

That's what's called a tie-bar bridge. The video covers it from 11:35. I prefer it to many of the other options. I just read through Mivo's link about linear vs reentrant. It should tell you what you need to know. Then it's just a matter of listening to them both and seeing what you like the sound of, like Bill said.

I also like tie bridges. They make restringing fairly easy and fast, and they aren't very prone to problems. The knot looks complicated, but it's simple once you've seen it being done.

Thanks Bill . I appreciate the advice. Having played guitar for many years I naturally prefer the Linear , but since I'm trying the Uke for the first time I think I'll stick with the traditional High G . I just didn't know what the word reentrant meant

Many thanks to all three of you. Video makes strings changes a breeze, and the link for Re-entrant cleared up the question.

Top Bottom