First Open Mic - Utah Ukulele Festival

RafterGirl

Reaction score
I was at a local ukulele festival all day today. Fun workshops & jam sessions. We even did an impromptu ukulele orchestra version of the Hawaii Five-O theme song.... about 60 people divided into melody, harmony, and bass line parts. After only 30-40 minutes of practice in our groups, we came together & played. Not perfect, but pretty darn good for just a short practice time on a song that was pretty tricky. I finally got up the nerve to sign up for the adult open mic. It was a very low key atmosphere, so figured it was time to dive in. I played a little instrumental improv of Hesitation Blues. Nothing fancy, but I made it through without messing up too much, and I didn't pass out. I got positive comments, so I was happy. A great day of ukulele fun.:D

Congraulations on your solo open mic performance. That takes a tremendous amount of courage and most people never do it. Good for you, it must make you feel quite proud and it should.

Congraulations on your solo open mic performance. That takes a tremendous amount of courage and most people never do it. Good for you, it must make you feel quite proud and it should.
Thanks Dave. We were amazed at how many kids played for the youth open mic earlier in the day, and only half as many adults gave it a go. I think the kids are a lot more fearless than we adults are about performing. It was great to see all those kids getting into ukulele playing. One boy did a duet with his grandfather. So cool to see the two generations sharing music together. Now I need to find a song than I can actually sing well for next time.

On a side note......A local music shop that specializes in ukuleles had a really nice booth at the festival. Tons of ukes in all prices ranges. They even had a few Kamakas for good prices. If they'd had a Kamaka longneck soprano, I'd have been tempted. However, I did find an instrument that may have to join my ukulele family. Banjolele. A guy at one of the group jam sessions let me play his Gold Tone and it was love at first strum.

Last edited:
Congratulations, RafterGirl, I was so nervous before I did my first open mic. But it does feel good to have done it, I am sure you agree. Ukulele players are so supportive it makes it easier to progress as a performer.

Top Bottom