Build in Progess Fred Shields pineapple

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Brenda (Solorule) has made Fred Shields much more well known to UU then before "she" found him. Because she bought three ukes from Fred after a trip to San Diego last year I had the opportunity to play them and was impressed. She naturally did NUDs on these ukes and Fred started getting busy with all of Brenda's UU friends placing orders.

She had a pineapple soprano made from cherry that I liked so I decided it was my turn to order something. Brenda is heading back to San Diego so Fred is having mine ready for her to pick up during her visit in the beginning of July.

I chose the pineapple body but it will be made from all walnut. Fred said he had a nice piece of straight grained quarter sawn that would make a good sounding top, sold!! This will have a concert length neck so it is a super soprano walnut pineapple, sounds like desert from Dairy Queen. To top it off it will have a radius fretboard which is a must for me. Fred had the tool made up about 6 months ago and has done a few. Joseph (Lapyang) got one and was very happy with the end result. He is a cello player so knows a thing or two about radiused fingerboards.

I don't know any other builder that makes a super soprano pineapple with a radius fretboard so this will be unique and I am more than a bit excited to get my hands on it.

20180623_173417.jpg20180623_190003.jpg20180623_190021.jpg

Last edited:
Fred’s ukuleles are wonderful; I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my fifth, a sycamore/walnut tiny teardrop pocket uke.

Fred’s ukuleles are wonderful; I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my fifth, a sycamore/walnut tiny teardrop pocket uke.

As I said "Brendas friends have been keeping Fred busy"...........gotta make it an even half dozen Kathryn:music:

I like the super soprano pineapple form factor. This one looks sweet!

Congratulations Dave. The straight grain in the back is stunning, especially the heel cap is included.
Fred made me his first ever radius fretboard and the result was superb. It has a standard 12in radius. I have played other 12in radius fretboards that really didn't feel much radiused. Fred's curvature feels comfortable.

I agree...Fred really did a nice job on the heel cap. I wish he did the same on mine. It is obvious he likes Dave more. :mad:

SOMEONE here (you know who you are) took my 'oval' Fred Shield's uke. The other two were his own personal ukes , he let me buy them. I actually cleaned him out last November. I then ordered the pineapple shortly after and received it in three months. He said Lapyang's uke consumed all his time. ;)

I have a huge responsibility this time - bringing downupdave FS child cross the boarder. Keeping my fingers crossed that boarder guide would not separate us.:(

Every person I referred to FS has become repeated customer . The feedback are pretty much the same - unique design, impeccable craftsmanship , easy to play and sound beautiful. One customer ordered her fifth FS uke. I bet future customers are now asking for Dave's heel cap just as the past customers asked for Brenda's Pineapple, Brenda's Oval , Doctor(Lapyang) radius. I hope we don't work him to death. Congratulation Dave. I will let you know how it sounds. ha ha

I, too, am a Fred Shields customer and am looking forward to my Oval soprano. It may be the one underneath Dave's Pineapple (from the 2nd photo attached above).

Looks like a winner Dave. It's very hard to find any soprano with a radius - let alone a pineapple! I, too, almost consider this a must - the plus side is that this tends to keep my UAS in close check. Congrats. Looking forward to the NUD.

Thanks Casey, yea this one will be different/special. I keep coming up with ways to participate in UAS it seems

Congratulations Dave. The straight grain in the back is stunning, especially the heel cap is included.
Fred made me his first ever radius fretboard and the result was superb. It has a standard 12in radius. I have played other 12in radius fretboards that really didn't feel much radiused. Fred's curvature feels comfortable.

Joseph thanks for the additional info on the radius, I wasn't aware is was a 12", good stuff.

I, too, am a Fred Shields customer and am looking forward to my Oval soprano. It may be the one underneath Dave's Pineapple (from the 2nd photo attached above).

Kathy you got good eyes. I was thinking of that too.
Will check it out next Saturday

WOWser, Dave!! Another super ukulele. That’s some lovely looking wood. Congratulations.

Cliff I appreciate the nice comments. I seem to like walnut, I have two other ukes with redwood and walnut.

This will be my first all walnut and I was a bit apprehensive. I am a true believer in soft wood tops for the big, full, resonant sound. But Kamaka and Koaloha make a pineapple with all koa, other builders out of all mahogany so why not all walnut. I will be anxious to hear what it sounds like, Fred likes the idea and thinks this particular top will sound good

Last edited:

Nice to meet you Kathy and thanks for weighing in. I am glad we have "classmates"

HEY BRENDA, you just gotta touch all of them don't you. I hope Fred has a spare one so you will be tempted by that one too. Thanks for everything really

Nice to meet you Kathy and thanks for weighing in. I am glad we have "classmates"

HEY BRENDA, you just gotta touch all of them don't you. I hope Fred has a spare one so you will be tempted by that one too. Thanks for everything really

Hi Dave. I think you were visiting with Brenda the day I checked out a Kamaka Koa uke for sale then found a huge crack in the back. Had to let that one go.

Hey Jim I noticed you have a KPK pineapple SNL, guessing that is soprano long neck
Right, a little longer than usual even at 15.5" scale, like the concert Flea.

Oh by the way, on the all walnut thing, I passed up on an English walnut super long neck soprano (17" tenor scale) one time. Sounded good on video but it wasn't what I asked for. Still wonder sometimes if I made the right decision on that one.

Last edited:
Congrats Dave! Fred is a great guy and makes a great instrument at a very fair price. I was at Hale Ukulele and was talking about Fred and the owner brought out a salad bowl ukulele that Fred made for him. Fred told him he could make a ukulele out of anything. Pretty cool uke.

John

Congrats Dave! Fred is a great guy and makes a great instrument at a very fair price. I was at Hale Ukulele and was talking about Fred and the owner brought out a salad bowl ukulele that Fred made for him. Fred told him he could make a ukulele out of anything. Pretty cool uke.

John

Thanks John, I appreciate that. A salad bowl uke seems right up Fred's alley, he has a great attitude. I spent a good hour on the phone with him and throughly enjoyed our conversation.

A little story out of school I am sure Brenda won't mind. She has a long time friend that lives in San Diego and Brenda took her friend and her fariends elderly father to visit Fred last year when she picked up her ukuleles. Fred and the other gentleman got deep into conversation and become instant friends. Fred was sad to see them leave. He is such a nice man, a good man. That means a lot and a quality I look for in the people that build ukuleles for me.

Top Bottom