Build in Progess Fred Shields pineapple

Thanks John, I appreciate that. A salad bowl uke seems right up Fred's alley, he has a great attitude. I spent a good hour on the phone with him and throughly enjoyed our conversation.

A little story out of school I am sure Brenda won't mind. She has a long time friend that lives in San Diego and Brenda took her friend and her fariends elderly father to visit Fred last year when she picked up her ukuleles. Fred and the other gentleman got deep into conversation and become instant friends. Fred was sad to see them leave. He is such a nice man, a good man. That means a lot and a quality I look for in the people that build ukuleles for me.

My friend ‘s 87 years old father lives in San Francisco. Before he flew home, he re visited Fred again The two talked and hugged like old friends. My friend waited over an hour for the two gentlemen so she texted me ( I have returned to Canada by then ) , I told her to ask Fred what kind of wood would he recommend for a pineapple! One question leaded to me ordering a forth FS uke. That’s how the all cherry pineapple was born.

Back to the salad bowl uke. Fred shown me when I was there. Fred used a whole piece of wood, dug out the middle to create the body. Top side and body are one solid piece!
He likes creating unique uke. He was making a uke for a customer, the body is the shape of the front of VW ! He shape it from the pineapple template then painted it red. The customer sent him the VW logo to complete the look. He was very proud of the creation.
I will be visiting him tomorrow. Will let you know what else he is up to !

Last edited:
This pineapple uke has completed it’s journey ! He is now safe in Downupdave happy home along with all his super expensive siblings!
Mission accomplished! Signing out !

I was going to wait a few days to post NUD but here and now is as good as any.

Bottom line this is a wonderful instrument. It is an all walnut bodied soprano pineapple with a concert length neck......as such a super soprano. The sound is full and loud and resonant. It is on the bright side which is good and yet it is balanced. The strings are new, the wood is new, it has not acclimated to the new enviroment yet, but is staying in tune. I find a few weeks makes a noticable difference to a brand new hand built uke. I play the hell out of the new ones for at least a month and they do open up and improve. I am very happy with this instrument and the radiused fretboard makes the playability excellent for me, a personal thing I realise . Thanks Fred and a big thank you Brenda!!!!

15314000164061709667273.jpg15313997361922073651047.jpg15314000449901622137605.jpg1531400224548794354885.jpg1531400323099207417651.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some better pictures. Shows the true colors. The trim piece along the edge of the sound hole is a nice touch, very well done and classy. Matches the colour of wood used for the bridge and tail graft, prevoius post pictures

20180711_090101.jpg20180711_090329.jpg20180711_090227.jpg20180711_090249.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice Dave! I've been thinking about a pineapple lately and I love a radius fretboard so much........It's such a thrill to see what others are able to buy and all the different combinations!

Very nice Dave! I've been thinking about a pineapple lately and I love a radius fretboard so much........It's such a thrill to see what others are able to buy and all the different combinations!

These are VERY reasonably priced Casey...........just saying:music:

Dave, another stunner in your collection. Congratulations! I do love the look of the walnut. What wood is the bridge?

I just want to add that Fred told me all my referrals ended up ordering 2-3 ukes from him immediately after they received their first FS uke.
His wait time is only three weeks that is if you mention Brenda from Canada otherwise he may do others first .

Dave, another stunner in your collection. Congratulations! I do love the look of the walnut. What wood is the bridge?

I can't remember what the wood is, Fred told me but I forgot. Thanks for the compliments Cliff.

Hey Brenda ask Fred what wood he uses for his bridge. She has the direct pipe line to Fred, I am just some guy from Canada that knows BRENDA!!!

I love the look of walnut

I can't remember what the wood is, Fred told me but I forgot. Thanks for the compliments Cliff.

Hey Brenda ask Fred what wood he uses for his bridge. She has the direct pipe line to Fred, I am just some guy from Canada that knows BRENDA!!!

wood is
Jarrah
For bridge and fret board

Last edited:
Top Bottom