Thread: Kala KA-KATG-C vs KA-ATP-CTG-C

Default Kala KA-KATG-C vs KA-ATP-CTG-C

Wow, that's a mouthful! Anyone played both and can comment on differences, if any, in the tone/volume/sound? From what I see, the ATP is lam acacia with solid cedar top, while the other is all laminate koa. Both with cutaway and Kala electronics.

I have the concert size with cedar top and no cutaway or electrics, it's nice...my guess is pick the one you like the looks of the most, there's probably not a big difference in sound, especially plugged in.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

I have the Baritone version of the Cedar topped Acacia. I really like it. It is my main player right now.

I have the tenor version of the ATP, recommended to me by Mim. When I first got it about 4 years ago I made a quick comparison to the K ukes at U-Space in Downtown LA and found that the Kala was so close, that I had no desire for one. The ATP is my go to gig uke of the eight I own.

I too have the cedar topped bari, great tone - from what I can remember when listening to the koa models, they had a clear crisp sound, whilst I prefer a more rounded mellow tone - the exception is my acacia ukes, they just sound nice too.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Thread Information