Outdoor Ukulele Tenor (low G)--how does it work for you???

Tonya

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering an Outdoor Ukulele, tenor model, strung low G. It'd be great for road trips and outdoor activities. I've listened to the sound samples and read reviews, but the return policy leaves me feeling a little vulnerable (20% restocking fee).

At this point I'm looking for real-world experience from regular players...

1--Any input regarding the sound/playability of this instrument, especially for fingerpicking (I don't do a lot of strumming)?

2--The tenor "carbon" model (priced slightly higher) is said to be 15% "brighter" in sound. I kinda like a fuller sound (my two tenors are both koa and deliver that); I don't expect this instrument to compete, but wonder if the even "brighter" sound would be *less* of what I like, rather than more...?

Thanks for your opinions!

I have no experience with this OU, but I have read that wound strings will wear the plastic down in time - I think I read it even voids the warranty. So, you would be best using a non-wound low G. Maybe the Aquila Red non-wound low G?

I have a OU tenor and it gets the most playtime out of my collection. I have small children and love being able to carry it around and lay it down on the floor without fear of my kids damaging it. I find the sound is less twangy than a traditional wood ukulele. I fingerpick on it and have no complaints. It is not as loud as a traditional wood uke, but can be played loud with some effort. I prefer the softer sound as it is my practice ukulele and kids go to bed early. It plays well softly. I currently have it strung regular tuning with Aquila nylgut. I do not like the stock strings. I'm not a fan of clear nylon fishing line strings. I also have a soprano, but prefer the tenor. The soprano does get played daily by my 7 year old, and he loves it.

I am 100% satisfied with it, and if severely damaged, bomb or run over by car, I would certainly replace it. I am personally not a fan of the look of the carbon model, I like the way the light shows through the body of my beer bottle color and you can see the shadows of the internal bracing. Looks cool. I suggest you pick one up and instead of a 20% restocking fee, just put on craigslist or the marketplace minus 10% and it should sell. Heck mine is well played and kid beaten and it looks brand new.

Last edited:
I have the OU tenor moonshine and like it for what it is. But it has the same "issue" that all plastic uke have that I have experienced. The plastic tends to absorb the high notes more than the mids and lows. So you loose some perceived volume. I mention this because they bill the carbon as "brighter". I have not tried the carbon model myself, but I wonder if "brighter" in this case really translates to louder. Maybe someone who has played both can offer their observations.

Tonya,
I can’t believe you will be happy with playability and sound compared to your MB’s.
You probably would be better off with a Blackbird, the Farralon tenors are really nice. I travel with my Clara and am happy with the playability compared to my customs. Hope to see you soon !!!

Tonya,
I can’t believe you will be happy with playability and sound compared to your MB’s.
You probably would be better off with a Blackbird, the Farralon tenors are really nice. I travel with my Clara and am happy with the playability compared to my customs. Hope to see you soon !!!

There is the issue of price; the Clara is $1300, the Farallon is $1500 and the Outdoor Tenor is $150.

I’m not sure there is a better sounding ukulele on the planet than Blackbird ukuleles...but you can easily put Outdoor Ukuleles into harsh climates without worrying so much about the investment.

There is the issue of price; the Clara is $1300, the Farallon is $1500 and the Outdoor Tenor is $150.

I’m not sure there is a better sounding ukulele on the planet than Blackbird ukuleles...but you can easily put Outdoor Ukuleles into harsh climates without worrying so much about the investment.

I am aware of the prices, but she plays MB’s, so she is used to quality sound and playability.

I've had my green tenor OU for a couple of weeks now, and absolutely love it! I'd done my homework and was concerned about a muted sound, but just led a big youth campfire last Saturday with no volume issues. As a previous poster stated, it can be played loudly with just a little effort. I forced myself to leave the high G in place, just to have a uke with high G, and I've gotten used to it. Now here's where I should diss the sound quality so that I look more discerning and knowledgeable, but I'll go with authentic instead. The higher tenor sounds flow nicely out of this ukulele, both bright and balanced, and despite what others have said the sound quality of mine is comparable enough to my solid wood ukes that it's become the first one I reach for. In addition to very nice sound quality, I absolutely love how it illuminates whenever the light catches it (even indoors). I'd intended to leave this one at my office, but find myself taking it home with me every night just so I can play with it. :cool:

Highly recommend!

I am aware of the prices, but she plays MB’s, so she is used to quality sound and playability.

As I have mentioned in other threads, I would certainly give Blackbird all the kudos in the world for sound—but as for playability, the Outoor Ukuleles that I own are as good as any other ukulele if not better.

Heck, if someone can afford a Clara, they can also afford a Outdoor Ukulele, too.

Does anyone have any experience with the new carbon fiber OU?

There is no carbon fiber OU, its just black polycarbonat. The tenor is much better than the soprano, and it sounds amazing. You can take it anywhere anytime even keep it in a hot (or cold) car. The thing is: intonation and tone is wonderfull and the playability is great. Soundwise its a little trebly so I have mine with High G. My ghost whit eOU was stolen and I got another one - I love this brand. Great sound great reviews and you can take it anywhere.... I shouldnt link to me singing but what the heck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_kEtpDO0PY

Top Bottom