Cure for a poor finish on my uke?

Nickie

Reaction score
I know this is a band aid idea....
But... I have this uke that I dearly love, everybody wants to play it, and they drool when they look at it.
But... ever since I've had it, the finish on the top has looked unsatisfactory, up close. I know it was taken from gloss to satin by the builder, because the gloss muffled the beautiful tone.
But it has smudges and weird places that don't rub out, no matter what I use to clean and polish it with. I've never used steel wool or any other abrasive (I swear to god)
Plus, I've put dents in the finish with my pinkie resting near the soundhole that someone actually admonished me for.
The back and the sides look fine, to me.

Here's my question....
I have a tin of Johnson's paste wax.
Should I try polishing it with that, or do I run the risk of ruining the looks of the thing forever?

I know this is a band aid idea....
But... I have this uke that I dearly love, everybody wants to play it, and they drool when they look at it.
But... ever since I've had it, the finish on the top has looked unsatisfactory, up close. I know it was taken from gloss to satin by the builder, because the gloss muffled the beautiful tone.
But it has smudges and weird places that don't rub out, no matter what I use to clean and polish it with. I've never used steel wool or any other abrasive (I swear to god)
Plus, I've put dents in the finish with my pinkie resting near the soundhole that someone actually admonished me for.
The back and the sides look fine, to me.

Here's my question....
I have a tin of Johnson's paste wax.
Should I try polishing it with that, or do I run the risk of ruining the looks of the thing forever?

You said it was taken from gloss to satin by the "builder". Why don't you contact him about what you can do or better still have him do it. If we don't know the type of finish that was originally applied we can only make uninformed suggestions on what can be done.

I've been playing my Martin T1K which has a very soft semigloss finish. A fingernail will leave a mark. And on the upper bout above the strumming area, the finish is completely worn off. I was thinking about a scratch guard but worry about altering the sound. The cheap logo sticker fell off too. My son convinced me to forget about it, pointing out Willie Nelson's Martin guitar with the hole worn in it and that people pay extra for Fender 'road-worn' electric guitars. So I have a worn, plain uke that sounds great. And occasionally someone looks in the soundhole and murmers, ohh, a Martin.

Thanks, guys.
Well, this uke is going to see my luthier tomorrow, for another issue. The finish may be addressed then, if other work needs to be done.
I hope it doesn't....I don't like being without this uke, it's my gigging uke!
And, I play it for hospice patients, too.

Do the smudges appear as cloudy areas on the finish?

Top Bottom