Concert or Tenor?

DiscGolfGuy

Reaction score
I've got an older (I'd guess around 60) tennis buddy that used to play guitar but gave it up about 25 years ago. He said he recently tried to pick it back up and his "fingers won't allow him to play it like he used to."

He said he now has trouble keeping his fingers steady on each string, with them now moving a little (maybe the hand strength is no longer there to hold the string down?), touching the string above or below.

We got to talking and I mentioned I had been reading up on ukuleles and that I felt like he might not have this problem with a uke, maybe a concert or tenor (I mentioned baritone but he didn't want something that large...maybe it's too close to a guitar for him) , because I thought the strings were further apart than a guitar.

He seemed very intrigued with the uke so we discussed it a little more. I told him I wasn't an expert but knew a lot of people that were. I tried to get as many details from him as possible.

From those details it seems like he wants to try a uke that has the strings further apart than a guitar (so his fingers are less likely to touch other strings) and has strings that don't take a huge amount of strength to hold in the correct position.

I started to offer advice based on what I've read in one book and some of the advice you all have given me, but decided it would be smarter to leave the recommendations to you experts!

So, should I tell him to look at a concert size or tenor size?

btw: he said he's willing to spend up to $140

Thanks!!!

edit: after reading the first couple of replies I wondered: would a concert size (small stretch horizontally and less string tension) with a wider nut width (1.5", less likely to touch other strings when fingering chords) be a nice fit for him?

If so, are there certain brands that have a wider nut width or is it something he would need to check on with each model? Any quality ones in his price range?

DGGuy

Last edited:
It's a toss up because it will be harder to hold down tenor strings with standard tuning (i.e., the strings will be tighter than a concert if strung GCEA, but if you tune down to Bb tuning for instance, then they won't be.) but they will be closer together on a concert.

Like Robin said, it's a trade-off. A concert uke makes stretches easier, but the neck is more cramped when playing up the neck (and it may be harder to hold because it's a little smaller). String tension is lower also. The tenor is more roomy, making some chords easier, but the stretches are wider and the string tension is higher (but still lower than with guitars). The difference isn't all that large, though, so probably either works fine. I'd pick a tenor or baritone for linear tuning (low-G, if tenor) and a concert for regular ukulele tuning (re-entrant), but that is largely a heavily subjective opinion based on sound.

Best would be if he went to a music store and held both a concert and a tenor. One will appeal and fit more than the other.

A concert scale uke, & perhaps have it fitted with fluorocarbon strings. high or low G to choice, both work well.

Kala or Ohana would be my suggestion, (& buy from a reputable dealer who will set it up properly).

I would argue that the scale length is not the critical issue here, but the nut width / string spacing is. If he's touching other strings when fretting he wants to maximise the string spacing above all else. Aim for a uke with a 1.5 inch nut width, concert or tenor. I find my wide nut soprano easier than my standard nut tenor in terms of clean fretting.

Thanks for your help. I'll pass along this info!

DGGuy

Last edited:
I think that ukuleles can be a simple or as complicated as you want them to be. It really depends on who's giving the advise. Sometimes you just have to make a choice and live with it.

He's the only person who can answer that question. If he's interested, he needs to go to a music store or uke group and try some out. There are so many variables, he could be happy with either.

Update: He went to a music store this past week (I was on vacation so I didn't get to go with him). He said he likes the size of a Concert ukulele better than the Tenor. They didn't have a specific "wide nut" model for him to try. He, nor (strangely) the salesperson, knew which brands had wider nut models...so he said he wasn't sure what else he should be looking at. Hopefully I'll get to go with him within the next two weeks...of course I'm not sure what I'm looking for either! :D

on a side note I'm thinking of ordering a $30 Mitchell MU40 black soprano uke just to get me going until I can decide which direction I want to go with mine and how much I really want to spend before I order my concert size!

DGGuy

Last edited:
Probably not available st your local music store, but available online.... Islander ukulele. Islander is Kanilea’s import line and like Kanilea, they have a wider 1.5 inch nut. Good quality at a reasonable price. Uke Republic and Pennylane both carry them. I bought an Islander from Uke Republic and it was set up very well. Plays & sounds great.

Top Bottom